Lesser of two evils? (What do to with enchants/gems)

Yesterday my guild hit M Gorefiend for the first time and I choose to respec to Unholy (I was a DW Frost) to do the souls job.

What I want to know is: What is the lesser of two evils?

-Play as Unholy with Mastery enchants and gems.
    or
    -Play as Frost with Multistrike enchants and gems.

I'll probably maintain Frost as my main spec that I'll use on most fights, but I'm willing to "perma change" my enchants and gems to unholy if it's really the best choice here...

If you´ll use Frost as your main, keep your gem/enchant as mastery, as it is unholy bis stats on AoE fights where most of our damages come from diseases, like Gorefiend(if you´re doing more damage with BB, Multistrike becomes better again).
    Last edited by Halliax; 2016-01-26 at 03:19 PM.

Unholy is the way to go for progression man, mainly due to the ability of doing immense spread AoE damage while doing a single target rotation. for example:
    -the purple spirits on xhul you can spread your NP and help take them down, while still focusing the 2 additional adds (you'll want to do this since they are a lower level giving you a higher crit chance, plus allows you to Soul Reap them earlier, extra padding always helps when its acceptable) Plus your class trinket on Xhul and the 2 side adds ends up doing so much damage, like its fucking crazy
    -On Manny the Infernals get spread most of the time so spreading your NP helps the ranged take them down quicker
    -Arch the dogs will never be grouped up leaving howling blast to maybe hit 1-2, with NP you can spread that shit, Bloodboil(its reach is way longer than Howling Blast) and help take them down quickly, along with the infernals in the final phase

In a small TLDR DK's take a Melee position, but with spread adds they kind of act as a Ranged DPS since they can spread and then focus melee priorities, its very helpful to have in Melee heavy guilds.

Also other bosses heavily benefit from NP alone such as:
    Kormrok: if you have the Vial Trinket, using that with the class trinket and Bloodboiling the hands will nuke the ever loving shit out of them
    Council: keep dia in 30 yards and bloodboil to her to spread NP, same witht he mirror images( if you are good and quick you can NP every mirror image)
    Kilrogg: you can solo Downstairs, allowing your guild to send a Single Target heavy class with you like Sub Rouge or Arcane Mage
    Soc: Outbreak to the ghost to help slowly widdle them down, while still focusing on boss
    Iskar: When the adds spawn you have 1-2 seconds to spread your NP from the boss, instantly giving them 15 stacks, with the class trinket you will easily top the charts

To sum up the small UH vs frost thing: Unholy is the way to go, plus BoS(with the Vial Trinket) Does wayyyyyy more damage, but i can understand during progression going DW frost on Zakuun/Tyrant (i personally went DW frost on Tyrant during progression since i had a mythic vial, and the 2 target cleave is superior).

But to answer your initial question about gems/enchants if you are going to split specs you will want to go Multistrike, Frost being really only good on Fel Lord/Tyrant in your current progression you will want to focus on Unholy, plus Uh gains huge benefits from MS, to the point were Sockets are better than WarForged, and Hellrender(725) is better than Cata Edge(735). And Necrosis giving you 5% MS from all sources, MS is the way to go. Additionally the stat weights for UH in MSvsMA has a huge gap, in comparison to Frost DW Single Target MsvsMA.

(Might be slightly outdated)
    Unholy AoE: MS: .76 MA: .65
    Frost ST DW: MS: .68 MA: .71

Is there a mastery cap where after having reached that you would start enchanting Multi?

Quote Originally Posted by Markulino View Post
    Yesterday my guild hit M Gorefiend for the first time and I choose to respec to Unholy (I was a DW Frost) to do the souls job.

What I want to know is: What is the lesser of two evils?

-Play as Unholy with Mastery enchants and gems.
    or
    -Play as Frost with Multistrike enchants and gems.

I'll probably maintain Frost as my main spec that I'll use on most fights, but I'm willing to "perma change" my enchants and gems to unholy if it's really the best choice here...
    play unholy with mastery. Especially considering aoe situations mastery is more valuable multistrike. Just sit on gorefiend and keep 15stack up and blood boil every time new souls pop up. easiest job ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Randenaris View Post
    Unholy is the way to go for progression man, mainly due to the ability of doing immense spread AoE damage while doing a single target rotation. for example:
    -the purple spirits on xhul you can spread your NP and help take them down, while still focusing the 2 additional adds (you'll want to do this since they are a lower level giving you a higher crit chance, plus allows you to Soul Reap them earlier, extra padding always helps when its acceptable) Plus your class trinket on Xhul and the 2 side adds ends up doing so much damage, like its fucking crazy
    -On Manny the Infernals get spread most of the time so spreading your NP helps the ranged take them down quicker
    -Arch the dogs will never be grouped up leaving howling blast to maybe hit 1-2, with NP you can spread that shit, Bloodboil(its reach is way longer than Howling Blast) and help take them down quickly, along with the infernals in the final phase

In a small TLDR DK's take a Melee position, but with spread adds they kind of act as a Ranged DPS since they can spread and then focus melee priorities, its very helpful to have in Melee heavy guilds.

Also other bosses heavily benefit from NP alone such as:
    Kormrok: if you have the Vial Trinket, using that with the class trinket and Bloodboiling the hands will nuke the ever loving shit out of them
    Council: keep dia in 30 yards and bloodboil to her to spread NP, same witht he mirror images( if you are good and quick you can NP every mirror image)
    Kilrogg: you can solo Downstairs, allowing your guild to send a Single Target heavy class with you like Sub Rouge or Arcane Mage
    Soc: Outbreak to the ghost to help slowly widdle them down, while still focusing on boss
    Iskar: When the adds spawn you have 1-2 seconds to spread your NP from the boss, instantly giving them 15 stacks, with the class trinket you will easily top the charts

To sum up the small UH vs frost thing: Unholy is the way to go, plus BoS(with the Vial Trinket) Does wayyyyyy more damage, but i can understand during progression going DW frost on Zakuun/Tyrant (i personally went DW frost on Tyrant during progression since i had a mythic vial, and the 2 target cleave is superior).

But to answer your initial question about gems/enchants if you are going to split specs you will want to go Multistrike, Frost being really only good on Fel Lord/Tyrant in your current progression you will want to focus on Unholy, plus Uh gains huge benefits from MS, to the point were Sockets are better than WarForged, and Hellrender(725) is better than Cata Edge(735). And Necrosis giving you 5% MS from all sources, MS is the way to go. Additionally the stat weights for UH in MSvsMA has a huge gap, in comparison to Frost DW Single Target MsvsMA.

(Might be slightly outdated)
    Unholy AoE: MS: .76 MA: .65
    Frost ST DW: MS: .68 MA: .71
    While true, by the time he hits specific bosses his raids gear level will be extremely high and adds will die quickly. I started Xhul progression as unholy and went frost because the imps and voids were dying way too fast. End up doing more damage personally as frost on that fight than I did unholy. If you take out Breath of Sindragosa the specs are a lot closer than people give them credit for. However due to BoS lining up with the ring so well and unholy scaling better with the ring it REALLY separates itself from frost. I've done all progression as frost and have fared better than NP unholy(aside from gorefiend). Will test that theory again on Mannoroth this week as I'll start off as unholy and then switch to frost randomly.

If you're on soul duty on M Gorefiend, Mastery enchants/gems are fine. Your DoT damage is what's vital here and mastery is what pushes it on this fight. This is especially so if your MS is Frost.