Thread: Greetings

Greetings

So it is tax season and my wife has given the okay for a new rig. I have some ideas in mind but I wanted to speak to a community that does this often. Lets get started shall we.
    Budget: 1300 USD to 1500 USD
    Resolution 1080p
    Games / Settings Desired Max settings on legion while raiding is my desire, running other games at high settings will be fine though.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): I will be using this computer for schoolwork as well as storing pictures and movies for my kids.
    Parts that can be reused: sadly none
    Do you need an OS?: yes
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? I need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and the ability to connect to a wireless router, a headset would also be nice.
    The last request is that I need it to be somewhat of a cool PC as it will be in my bedroom and my wife doesn't enjoy heat so an all in one water cooling system would in my opinion be the best thing. Also, should I go with skylake so it's easier to upgrade later? Thank you in advance for your time and help ladies and gents.

Quote Originally Posted by chriskell33 View Post
    The last request is that I need it to be somewhat of a cool PC as it will be in my bedroom and my wife doesn't enjoy heat so an all in one water cooling system would in my opinion be the best thing.

Also, should I go with skylake so it's easier to upgrade later? Thank you in advance for your time and help ladies and gents.
    Common misconception here, but it's not like your computer will be outputting less heat with a water cooler than with an air cooler. It's just a different medium to get the heat away from the CPU. The same amount of heat is still being generated and therefore released in to your room. In addition, All-in-One Water Coolers generally do not perform better than a good air cooler, cost more and have the potential to be noisier.

Think about it, an air cooler has 1-2 Fans, that's it. An AIO Water cooler has 1-2 Fans + a Water Pump that also makes noise. Seeing as with either one, you can replace the fans with near silent ones if you wish, the AIO will be noisier due to the pump, for not much, if any, additional cooling, and an increased price tag. Just something to keep in mind. In my experience, the air coolers generally come with better fans too.

AIO Water Coolers have their place, certainly, but it's not gonna magically make the heat the PC generates less. It still generates the same amount of heat, it's just using water to get it away from the CPU rather than metal. If anything, a worse cooler or stock cooler will keep your room cooler because instead of dissipating the heat it will stay in your case.(not that I am recommending this, just an observation)

Yes, you should go with Skylake. Especially here in the US, it is not much more than Haswell, it's better and will be less expensive to replace if something fails later on down the road.(ie. if the Motherboard dies in 3 years, Haswell Motherboards will be scarcer so more expensive since they will likely no longer be in production. Skylake Motherboards will be plentiful and cheaper.)

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($256.89 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($40.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.00 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($319.00 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
    Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($159.00 @ B&H)
    Keyboard: Logitech Corded Keyboard K280e Wired Standard Keyboard ($36.99 @ Amazon)
    Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
    Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Core Headphones ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1489.53
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-26 13:43 EST-0500