Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've never measured a 1.61km run before. But my 100m time was (is?) 15s. Therefore the correct answer is obviously 15s x 16 (100m) = 240 seconds = 4 minutes. I'm pretty sure running is linear based on distance, right?

It depends how long it takes the ambulance to pick me up and finish the rest of that mile on the way to the hospital.

RUN? Never. They tried to make me do that as a kid and I collapsed and cried at the end.

I was lucky to get a place or two ahead of that kid who had breathing problems and needed an inhaler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

around 8:30, i am 33, used to be 6 when i was 18

best time ever was a 6 min mile in HS... now i'm around 9-10 min mark. goal is 1.5 miles in 11-12 mins again, without dying.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

15+ Year Old Account
    I have absolutely no idea. Been years since I timed myself at all, but that time it was around 12min on 3km.

My PR was 4:54, but it's been a while.

In highschool ~5mins, I didn't run distance. My only gauge was I could do the wrestling pre-practice 3 mile run in ~ 15 minutes.
    Currently World Record holder ran the 5K (slightly more then three miles) in 12 and half minutes. You should definitely do the Olympics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    RUN? Never. They tried to make me do that as a kid and I collapsed and cried at the end.

I was lucky to get a place or two ahead of that kid who had breathing problems and needed an inhaler.
    Why did you collapse at the end? Were you obese as a child? Just wondering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Used to be able to get 5 km/3 miles ~20 minutes previously, although that was in high school, haven't really done timed running since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    I wouldn't jog with weights, those have been known to fuck up your cartilage in the long run. If you want to make the run harder than run faster, run at an incline, run longer, or do a combination of the 3.

Yeah faster I can't motivate myself to push for, incline is none existent in my immediate area and getting me to run at all is miracle...so farther isn't terribly likely.

I've read that ankle/wrist weights are bad as it puts extra stress on those joints to keep things stable, but a vest which is secured to your core doesn't add any more stress to keep the additional weight stable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    Currently World Record holder ran the 5K (slightly more then three miles) in 12 and half minutes. You should definitely do the Olympics.
    LOL wouldn't even be competitive for the women's 5k.

An approximate time that is probably rounded down to the most significant digit (20 year old memory at this point) is hardly impressive or trust worthy...that why I prefaced it with the squiggle (~). lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Personally, my best 5k times were in the 22min range. The few times I tried a timed 1mile run I managed close to a 6min mile (apparently putting me well in the top 1% for my age group so no complaints), but after that the next couple miles were probably at a 12min pace. That was on a 5 day/week lifting routine with one 3mile run per week, so not much emphasis on cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    1. Olympic runners do a mile sub 4 mins, no idea what 3 mile time is but I suspect not really worse than 12.
    2. ~ means approximately, It wasn't timed. I just know I had about 15mins to do the run, and I did it.
    3. I despise running
    I'm with Rooster here.

The Olympic 5000m record is slightly below 13min. It's a slightly longer distance than 3miles, but at your supposed pace it's only a difference of about 30sec. I'm guessing either your time or distance gauge were off. 18min for a 3mile run is already pretty fantastic, even for a top tier athlete that only does 3miles for another sport's pre-practice run. Not calling you a liar given your admitted approximations, but I don't think you fully appreciate what those kinds of times signify. Even if you'd said ~17min as a non-runner, people would have probably called you out.
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2016-01-26 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    I wouldn't jog with weights, those have been known to fuck up your cartilage in the long run. If you want to make the run harder than run faster, run at an incline, run longer, or do a combination of the 3.
    He was talking about weighted vest, not weights. Weighted vest running is actually a pretty serious challenge that you do to develop load endurance. It's the same as people doing loaded carries with large rocks, or sandbags or even backpacks filled with bags of peat gravel. This guy: http://rosstraining.com/blog/ does a ton of outdoors, odd object carries and weighted vest runs and he's in insane shape.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    He's 2.5 minutes off of WR pace, that's not even close.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    Yeah faster I can't motivate myself to push for, incline is none existent in my immediate area and getting me to run at all is miracle...so farther isn't terribly likely.

I've read that ankle/wrist weights are bad as it puts extra stress on those joints to keep things stable, but a vest which is secured to your core doesn't add any more stress to keep the additional weight stable.
    This is true, it's definitely no where near as bad as ankle weights, but any weight added to you isn't good in the long run. You're still putting more stress on all the joints under your vest. Again, it's not something you'll notice right away or even in several years. But when you're in your 50s+, you'll feel it.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

10+ Year Old Account
    I do a mile and a half, and I do it in about 12 minutes.

So probably 9 minutes for a mile. Maybe faster since I don't have to pace myself that extra half a mile.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Run? The fuck would I run for?
    From... you run from something like a speeding car... or to something like a fine woman... but for something... that's just odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I do a mile and a half, and I do it in about 12 minutes.

So probably 9 minutes for a mile. Maybe faster since I don't have to pace myself that extra half a mile.
    Is that basic speed or do you have to jug batteries for that?

10.5 minutes I think

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I ran a mile in high school in 5:01. Last year I ran a 5K is 23:03 which is about 7:26 pace. So I am sure I could get under 7min in a mile.