Im wealthy and/or healthy, why should I want songle payer health care?

One simple reason: fuck insurance. Seriously, I'd rather the money I pay in (and don't EVER use) to pay for someone with less luck, skill, brains, money, whatever to get treatment they need than line the pockets of some awful peddler of broken promises.

No matter how you slice it, you're paying for health care. Wouldn't it be great if the money I'm pissing away on insurance I don't use could support the needs of someone less fortunate?

And if you say my premiums are paying for health care of other insurance participants, then make insurance companies non profit and standardize the cost of services.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would think people who own businesses would rather not be buying their employees health insurance, but I don't know i'm not wealthy. I would rather not have to count on my job for my health insurance. That's the reason I want a single payer system.

So essentially what the OP is saying is take your commie public health care and replace it with price controls on health services and 100% profit forfeiture for insurance companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    So essentially what the OP is saying is take your commie public health care and replace it with price controls on health services and 100% profit forfeiture for insurance companies.
    I'd be fine with it. Insurance is a scourge. It's the cause of many problems with our broken system.

Defend its existence, please, I'd love to know how it's benefited you or anyone you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    One simple reason: fuck insurance. Seriously, I'd rather the money I pay in (and don't EVER use) to pay for someone with less luck, skill, brains, money, whatever to get treatment they need than line the pockets of some awful peddler of broken promises.

No matter how you slice it, you're paying for health care. Wouldn't it be great if the money I'm pissing away on insurance I don't use could support the needs of someone less fortunate?

And if you say my premiums are paying for health care of other insurance participants, then make insurance companies non profit and standardize the cost of services.
    Simple. If you have a disease like cancer, chemotherapy alone cost well over 30 000 $. A triple bypass in a US hospital, well over 75 000. $. Unless you are very wealthy, actual cost of medical treatment for serious condition would likely bankrupt most middle class people. Especially if you are in the US.
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2016-01-27 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Simple. If you have a disease like cancer, chemotherapy alone cost well over 30 000 $.
    Maybe you don't know what single payer is because your statement is pointless. Society is your safety net in the proposed system, rather than an insurance company. So if you get horribly sick, you're covered either way. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Sorry, too much money in private medicine for Republicans to even think about something like this.

- - - Updated - - -

While still paying premiums and co-pay/overages... So the question still stands.
    I meant the actual raw cost, at least in Canada.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you may not always be healthy, and you benefit from living in a society that is also wealthier and healthier.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I'd be fine with it. Insurance is a scourge. It's the cause of many problems with our broken system.

Defend its existence, please, I'd love to know how it's benefited you or anyone you know.
    I live in Canada. It has benefited me plenty.

My marginal income tax rate is roughly 33% here (it could be as low as 28% in some provinces though), vs. the 30% it would be if I lived in the United States in a comparable geographical area. Except for that extra measly bit of money I have access to no-cost walk-in clinics, sexual health clinics, vaccination clincis, should I decide I want the flu shot on any given season), a family doctor of my choosing, the list goes on and on and on.

Oh I forgot to mention there's also various public health initiatives that such a system can fund.

Also while in the United States somebody who has weight gain issues has to reach freak show status to become part of a reality TV show to qualify for gastric bypass surgery, pretty much anybody who is over 300 lbs and can demonstrate they can safely adhere to a calorie restricted diet qualifies for it.

So you don't see 400lb people zipping around Walmart on Rascal scooters in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I live in Canada. It has benefited me plenty.

My marginal income tax rate is roughly 33% here (it could be as low as 28% in some provinces though), vs. the 30% it would be if I lived in the United States in a comparable geographical area. Except for that extra measly bit of money I have access to no-cost walk-in clinics, sexual health clinics, vaccination clincis, should I decide I want the flu shot on any given season), a family doctor of my choosing, the list goes on and on and on.
    Defend INSURANCE. Am I not being clear? I am in support of abolishing for profit insurance to stem the tide of corruption destroying our health care system in the US. It sounds like you're reaping the benefits of a single payer system already.

I'm not sure what the OP mean : I thought he meant ''why should I pay at all for health insurance''. I don't think that most middle class could actually pay for healthcare when they really need it.

Defend INSURANCE. Am I not being clear? I am in support of abolishing for profit insurance to stem the tide of corruption destroying our health care system in the US. It sounds like you're reaping the benefits of a single payer system already.
    My employer provides private health insurance to supplement my public coverage.

And yeah, the insurance companies in a private system are fucking crooks, I don't disagree. Single payer is the only way to put them out of business where they belong.

And they aren't completely out of business.. Like I said, health care doesn't cover everything, so private insurers get to cling on to a tiny little niche market so they can pretend they are relevant.