Thread: Factories

Factories

Have you worked in a factory before? What was your experience like working in them? I have worked in a few. I worked at a Whirlpool factory for a while in their top load washing machine factory for 8 years from 2001 to 2008. I worked in their porcelain department for a while and also worked on their assembly lines. I ended up working as a forklift and butterfly truck driver for a couple of years before I quit from there. I've also worked in a couple of plastics factories. one was injection mold plastic factory which sucked so bad and I worked in another one where my whole job was to inspect parts that went into chrysler transmissions.

Gotta say I'm glad I'm done with factory work. Whirlpool was ok. I enjoyed it better when I got into the forklift driving.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, I worked for a meat processing plant, and I seen it all, pretty disgusting and gross to see where most of the meat comes from throughout the country, it wasn't the worst job but it was pretty horrible.

I mostly took over night temperatures for products, and kept an eye on the cleaners along with their supervisor, it was an over night positions but I did come in the days, most of who they hired were migrant workers, through a temp agency for just about everything else, specifically packing.

Oh and the owners were basically a corrupt greedy family that privately owned the factory, and they were pretty obnoxious aswell. They would do anything to skirt the law, and regulations, forge documents, and flat out bribe inspectors which they got busted for doing once and had to hand over ownership to another family member and change the name to avoid the horrible reputation and practices they continued with.

The pay was alright and decent for me, no benefits, and pretty horrible conditions.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2016-01-27 at 03:06 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I have worked in a few. That's basically all there is in this little rural shithole town I live in (though I do prefer rural living. Less people I have to deal with, though dealing with a lot of the rural people is... ugh) that pays more than minimum wage of $7.25 an hour. Of course, you have to go through temporary staffing agencies first, which pays you $8.50-$9.50 starting out, and if you are "lucky" enough to go permanent, your pay goes up to at least $14 an hour. We have a couple car parts factories, a plastic factory, a factory that makes the lifts you see in car mechanics places, and one that makes tubes (at least I think, as they have "tube mill" in their name). I have worked in the two car parts factories, and the plastic factory.

Of the 3, I preferred the plastic factory. I removed the excess plastic from the laundry rollers that hospitals use to put in the dirtry bed sheets. What I hated most about the factories here, is the mandatory overtime, where you are forced to work 50-60 hours every week. I have no problem with overtime if it is voluntary, but being forced to work from 4pm to 2-4am every fucking day is bullshit. I worked for a total of 5 months in factory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I hope never to have to.

Out of high school I briefly worked for a factory that did printing. I had to job up paper all day in high heat (even winter time it was hot) and stack them so they can be sent to a different part of the factory to bind into magazines and books. It sucked ass, especially 3rd shift when you had to clean the ink out on Fridays, but the pay and benefits were good at the time, free health insurance. It was very dull work and I could only handle it for 3 months

15+ Year Old Account
    Never. Not a whole lot of factories around here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Worked some at the Lego packaging factory (basically, we were the ones who put the lego in the boxes), we ran on a rotation chart, 30 minutes on each station to avoid problems of physical and mental health. Didn't enjoy it, but was interesting. Though, after three days, I was set for maintenance of packaging machines (basically, stop it when jammed, clear out, start - and refil).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    No, though I have visited factories for work.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    One of my earlier jobs as a programmer was redesigning an MRP system for a plastic plumbing parts manufacturer here in Illinois. Material Requirements Planning, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, ledgers, Bill of Materials...you get the idea.

It was a cold place because the owner wouldn't heat the warehouse up (where I worked in the offices) until legally required to. My office was a drywalled room with track lighting in the back where the old benches used to be. It sucked, but it gave me a lot of experience as a developer.

I worked at M&M Mars for a year right out of high school. It was a decent job since it paid pretty good back then ($10/hour) and was a very clean working environment.