Poll: How well out of 1-10 Did you parents raise you?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

On a scale of 1-10 How well did your parents raise you?

I'm gonna have to say 6.

10+ Year Old Account
    9. I think that aside from not providing a good example of a loving marriage, they did really damn well.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    They did the best they could. My problems are my own. I'll never be as good as they were, so I can not judge them.

10+ Year Old Account
    10 in terms of providing for me and educating me.

0 in terms of actually participating in my childhood and "raising" me.

8.5 30charrulehere

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

8/10

Grown up to be a decent person. Loved and supported all my life.
    I was spoilt though. I lacked discipline and a work ethic. I've had to develop those skills / mindset in early adulthood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wish they had pushed music education more on me as a child instead of sports. Self taught musician but I would have enjoyed a more formal education. Other than that though 7/10. Lots of highs and a couple of lows as most families do but they did their best and I really appreciate how much they looked after me and set me on a straight path compared to some of my peers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Ten for SURE, I wouldn't trade my childhood for anything. Sorry to see the 1's in there ((

7+ Year Old Account
    I turned out pretty well all things considered. Quite sure it's in spite of them though. I definitely didn't have it as bad as some people I know but Dad was a violent drunk and Mum let it happen. I was lucky to have a kind of second family because of my best friend.
    Last edited by Thoughtcrime; 2016-01-27 at 10:40 PM.

They paid for stuff. No emotional support, but they did pay for things.

10+ Year Old Account
    My mom died when I was 4 so I can't say anything about her but most of what I am today is in spite of what my dad did to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    9, but that's just me nitpicking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere around 7. I had loving parents, they really cared about me - they do to this day. Yet, they also were overprotective. They helped me feel safe and secure, but they've never really taught me how to take responsibility, how to be active, how to be a leader, how to deal with tough situations. Luckily, some life experiences taught me these things, at least, partially.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account
    8. I tend to get along well with others. I have never once been in trouble with the law. I don''t abuse any type of drinks or drugs. I work very hard.

Cons: I have utterly 0 self confidence and need to be around others to feel motivated to do anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the time, which is why I never killed, or harmed anybody a day in my life I didn't feel had to, meaning in defense of myself. I am generally not critical of people unless they open their mouths and are critical of myself or others who never even asked. Love really is all you need, but sometimes it isn't always enough for everything or everyone.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    7 they were good provider but they weren't good with the emotional part.

Deleted
    9/10 provided and raised me well but childhood lacked excitement. dont really have any amazing memories i wish i did have

10+ Year Old Account
    My mother was an abusive narcissist, who routinely put her own self-aggrandizement before her children. (Myself and my brother.)

Being the oldest, she blamed me for being born and ruining a potential musical career my father could have had, which would have landed her on the lap of luxury. She would often remind me of this, and expected to have me "make it up to her" some day.

For the first 18 years of my life, I didn't really know my extended family (aunts, uncles, etc.) other than the ones who could do something for her financially. Since my father's family were not especially well off, this means I hardly ever knew them. She made up terrible, often ridiculously unbelievable stories about them, and tried to poison our opinions of them simply because she didn't like them for whatever reason. (Maybe she could tell they didn't like her?)

My father had a drinking problem and was physically abusive towards my brother and I. He was not an especially smart man, and so he followed whatever my mother demanded - probably because she had destroyed whatever backbone he had. My mother never worked a day in her life, but she had him convinced that she owned everything he had worked for, and if he left her, she would take it all and leave him penniless.

My mother has claimed she would be leaving my father ever since I could remember. Last year, she even went as far to ask her brother (one of the few family members who she currently has use for, since he is very well off, owns properties, does things for the family with that money, etc.) if she could come and live with him - obviously he had no interest in supporting his unemployed and unemployable sister, who before he was rich, treated him like garbage. She also asked my brother - although asking is not the right word; she told him that she was going to come live with him. His wife outright refused - not that he was going to be okay with it anyway. Now she's taken to the guilt trips of "not being around much longer" with everyone, even though her own mother is still alive.

My parents actively attempted to disrupt any sense of normal development.

I was an exceptionally gifted student, and in grade 2, the teachers wanted to put me in grade 4. My mother would not allow it, because, and I quote she "never got to skip any grades". The school instead put me in a "mode 2" program, which was an in-school program for exceptional students. Just extracurricular activities that were done once a week. They didn't need her permission; it was something they offered individual students, and it was up to them to accept. When grade 6 came around, and it was time to go to a different school, they offered a mode 3 program. My mother refused to allow me to do it, claiming that because she didn't get to do anything like that, and that because she was smarter than me, I couldn't handle it.

When I was 16, I wanted to get my driver's license. I needed to learn how to drive, of course. My mother refused. We were never allowed to touch her or my father's vehicles; because her parents "never let her". (Apparently, this is false; both of her brothers have called her out on this.) So I got my license anyway (it was a graduated licensing system, my initial license did not require a road test, just a written one.) When it came time to take my road test, again, my mother - who did not work - said she was too busy to take me, and wouldn't let me use her car anyway. So I asked a family friend for whom I had done some computer work (that I was not allowed to receive any payment for, because my mother didn't want me to take money from 'her' friends) if he could take me. He obviously agreed. However, I failed my first driver's test, because aside from a lesson from a friend who had only just gotten his license, I had zero experience.

When I finally did pass my driver's test, I was working and a co-worker offered to sell me her car. My mother would not allow it. "You can't park it in my driveway." My brother got the exact same treatment regarding driving, too.

When I was 17, I moved out. I stayed with a friend's family who knew about my situation, and they helped me in so many ways. I consider the man who took me into his home to be my father in every meaningful way other than genetics, and if I were rating him, I'd give him a 10.

Years later, I am no longer in contact with my parents. I spoke to them last sometime last year, when they talked about how poorly they were doing (my mother still does not work), and how their health is failing. I moved across the country a few years ago, and I am not there to mistreat, so my brother gets 100% of it. He's subject to the whims of my mother, as he has two small children who she occasionally babysits. However, she uses this as a way to manipulate him - basically, "do what I want or I'll cancel plans to babysit at the last minute on you"; he DOES pay her for her time, too. Lately, they have not asked her to babysit, and so she's taken to being very cruel towards him now as well.

Despite their best efforts, I am successful and happy. I have a home that I own, a good job, a wife who loves me, and future prospects. I have a great relationship with family members who I barely knew growing up, and I was routinely invited to family functions when I lived in proximity to those family members, while my parents were explicitly told they were not welcome.

I rated my parents "1", because while I can imagine there were worse, that doesn't make them somehow worthy of anything more than the worst possible score. They are both terrible human beings (my mother moreso, but my father for not having a spine, and for letting himself drink his sorrows away), and they already know that when they die I will not be attending their funerals.
    Last edited by Atrea; 2016-01-27 at 11:08 PM.

My parents taught me respect and honor, but not to give them freely. To judge each person based on their actions with me. To question and seek knowledge. To understand the burden of adulthood and the sacrifice of family. I was provided for to the best of my parents abilities, but not spoiled I started working early with serious chores and got my first paycheck job at 13. Was my childhood perfect? No. Not by any standard, but my parents raised me right. I've failed along the way like we all fail and those failures are mine. My idiosyncrasies are mine as are my choices. For those they are not to be blamed.

My goal is to surpass them and build a foundation for the generation that comes after me and to bring up those around me. Family is always beyond blood and into those you bring into your life as well.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2016-01-27 at 11:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    My parents taught me respect and honor, but not to give them freely. To judge each person based on their actions with me. To question and seek knowledge. To understand the burden of adulthood and the sacrifice of family. I was provided for well. Was my childhood perfect? No. Not by any standard, but my parents raised me right. I've failed along the way like we all fail and those failures are mine. My idiosyncrasies are mine as are my choices. For those they are not to be blamed.

My goal is to surpass them and build a foundation for the generation that comes after me and to bring up those around me. Family is always beyond blood and into those you bring into your life as well.
    *tips fedora*