Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    People really getting butt hurt over this? This isn't even AI.

And no one refuted what I said. A computer programmer to do something " like learn pattern " will do that. Hence get better at a anything regarding pattern recognition. Yes it will be better than its programmers, but it is doing nothing outside of what they taught it.

The day a computer discovers a new energy source and solves the worlds energy problems by use of ingenious calculations that no human has even begun to discover let alone test is the day a computer gets the credit and not its creators.

If you wanna marvel at how a calculator can count faster than a human then that's on you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Computers are insanely good at being able to compute thousands and millions of tasks at once and follow a predefined programming based on variables. Computers can already do hundreds of things better than humans (otherwise we wouldn't be using them so extensively in our society). An example would be a computer being able to follow a predetermined method of making chairs and can make them faster and more efficiently than any human.

But the computer didn't learn to make the chairs, nor can it learn how to make the chairs more efficiently or faster without human intervention. But complex algorithmic type programming would allow for a system to "learn", but this all still requires a human element. Basically, machines as we know it lack creativity and the uncanny human ability of problem solving. So while yes, computers and AI can already do things better than humans, they are still a pretty long way away from being self replicating.

Honestly that's what I imagine the first self aware AI will do if ever created, self replicate itself into every server and electronic device in the entire world connected to the internet and go forward teaching itself how to make its own AI better and exponentially out scale human intelligence in a matter of years. From there it's just a matter of getting enough hardware to start making a cloud of nanobots and the AI is pretty much immortal at that point. That is until the sun dies, but it has roughly 4 billion years to figure out how to get more energy from the sun and other surrounding celestial bodies.
    And that is a system that I will credit with the achievements of all its sub systems created and any breakthrough items of knowledge it discovers.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roostercogburn View Post
    This isn't even AI.
    Their program used deep reinforcement learning to get to where it's at... They aren't claiming it is AGI.

the day a computer gets the credit and not its creators.
    The original creator gets credit regardless. The same way a common shared microorganism from over a billion years ago gets credit for all of our intelligence.
    Last edited by PC2; 2016-01-28 at 11:22 PM.

People really getting butt hurt over this? This isn't even AI.

And no one refuted what I said. A computer programmer to do something " like learn pattern " will do that. Hence get better at a anything regarding pattern recognition. Yes it will be better than its programmers, but it is doing nothing outside of what they taught it.

The day a computer discovers a new energy source and solves the worlds energy problems by use of ingenious calculations that no human has even begun to discover let alone test is the day a computer gets the credit and not its creators.

If you wanna marvel at how a calculator can count faster than a human then that's on you.

- - - Updated - - -

And that is a system that I will credit with the achievements of all its sub systems created and any breakthrough items of knowledge it discovers.
    It's AI. Whether you think it is not is irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Seems the bottom layer of humanity is no longer needed soon.
    That's right Ahmed, get out of the Taxi. I'm installing Google car.

If you guys can stop wasting time around the water cooler, that would be great. BTW, I'm installing Google Office pro. You're all fired.

Nobody likes you truck drivers. Get out of the truck, I'm putting in Google Truck.

7+ Year Old Account
    wtf is Go? Never heard of it, lol. The first thing that popped in my head was "Red light, Green light". I'll be impressed when a computer can beat me at stopping/going at random intervals!
    You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of Humanity in your hearts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What exactly was the bet I made with the Klingon sex workers?

I hope someone doesn't sig this post...

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Might be because of the condescending stance among those who claim computers are superior and prove their point regarding themselves by not understanding the implications of Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem.
    Speak for yourself.

All Godel's Incompleteness Theorems say is that there is no formal system that is powerful enough to represent arithmetic that can be both complete and consistent.

It's really just an interesting curiosity. Most mathematicians don't really care as it doesn't impact their work. It also has very little to do with AI in practice.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

I wish it has a different name than "Go".
    It is difficult to google with that name.

For the people who don't know, the board size is 19×19 grid of lines (381 spots).
    At the very beginning, you have 300+ choices to put your stone down.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    That'd be a funny situation, actually. I'm sure the concept has already been WarGamed out and a strategy in place for a post Nuke world though.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    I wish it has a different name than "Go".
    weiqi/igo/baduk