Suits [Spoilers!]

Well, after five seasons of teasing what might happen if Mike got caught, the writers finally made good on this promise. Mike got arrested, and his secret is out. It's hard to believe they're actually going there, and now over the next five episodes, we're going to see how Mike and Harvey try to get out of it. And the prosecutor is no joke - she knows EVERYTHING, and she isn't afraid to play hardball to convict Mike, Harvey, and anyone else she can. It's hard not to agree with her - she's doing exactly what her job is, and enforcing the law. We might like Mike, but he's a fraud, he's broken the law, and by all rights, he should be in jail for pretending to be a lawyer.

Suits is the best show that no one is watching. I love the writing on this show, and every episode feels tight, stressful, and has great dialogue. I can't wait to see how this plays out, and I'm so glad that the show writers finally went there with Mike and finally had the law come down on him.

Anyone think he'll make it out unscathed? Or is someone going to jail?

As a lawyer, I have to say I can't stand this show. And I've worked in Manhattan. It glorifies a job that has maybe the highest suicide rate among white collar professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    As a lawyer, I have to say I can't stand this show. And I've worked in Manhattan. It glorifies a job that has maybe the highest suicide rate among white collar professionals.
    Well that's fascinating.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

This show was awesome early on...but they really went to shit writing wise with some of their plot lines:

1. The whole "Mike" might get caught conflict. It gets old so damn fast...*yawn* I have been tired of it since season 2.
    2. The way they characterize Litt - guy has one of the best character potentials and they always resort to making him look like an idiot. His character was really the best in season 1.
    3. Not having enough Harvey/Mike taking on other lawyers. This is supposed to be a show about law, but holy fuck - when are they EVER in court? When has there ever been more than a few meetings with "clients"? It is pretty much the Harvey/Mike drama show: they have drama with each other, and with EVERY woman who plays in the supporting cast - GIVE ME A LAW SHOW!

I am sort of done with the show. I love the characters but it is like they were put in a box and never let out. How can such brilliant people be so stupid too?

I've resorted to re-watching Boston Legal to get my legal show fix (did a run with LA Law late last year when Suits stopped) - you know, shows with some drama but they actually get their asses into a court room on a daily (each show) basis!

Corporate lawyers do everything in their power to never step foot in a courtroom. So that much is true. In a big firm like the one depicted in Suits, they have a whole division for litigation, so people like Harvey et al would never traditionally step into a courtroom even if one of their cases went into one.

What isn't true is the lack of depiction of time spent 1) researching in a law library, 2) writing hundreds of pages of legal memos and contracts, 3) proofreading those pages for literally weeks because the contracts will be binding if signed and a comma in the wrong place will fuck everything over, and 4) time spent in conference rooms wanting to kill a client seated across the table from you. One of my biggest pet peeves is their depiction of Mike as having some eidetic memory as if that's somehow useful. It would be to an extent, but there's almost never a precedent case which is wholly dispositive, and most cases are arguing multiple precedents, their connection, why the present case is like A(1) but please ignore A(2) and instead also think of B(5) in the situation that A handled wrongly in subsection (2), etc. An actual legal mastermind is the one who can draw the connections between two seemingly irrelevant threads. Research is for summer interns.

I think most corporate attorneys spend like, an hour a day talking to other people, maybe, unless they're doing a deposition. The rest is all being buried in paper. I guess once you make partner, that changes because you have to handle the ego of clients more, but yeah. And the amount of facetime Mike spends with partners (and even senior/managing partners) in this series is hilarious, even if he is some sort of legal savant. I've worked with a legal genius before, partners prefer to bury them in the library and churn out paper, and never let them talk to anyone because a legal genius is like a leprechaun you can't look directly in the eyes.

Needless to say, I don't practice law any more.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2016-01-28 at 10:06 AM.