Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    A question soon to be quantified by driverless cars

Quote Originally Posted by De thuong View Post
    You don't put value on human life.
    But you have to in order to make rational decisions about where to allocate resources.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    pedo alert
    No

I just view age as being a heavy factor in determining future potential. The fact that your first thought was pedo makes me question your dirty mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Assuming we could perfectly understand the potential of the human life, I don't think so. Unless you mean from a moralistic standpoint?
    Well, you could converge to same conclusion for either moralistic or selfish PoV, unless you are confident that you are among the top 1% high potentials.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    But you have to in order to make rational decisions about where to allocate resources.
    This is the harsh reality. I would even say that there are decisions made on a daily basis that are based on the "value" of a human life.

Think about insurance companies that decide if you are "worth" the 100k of medication a year.
    Or the plans in the cold war in which the US would bomb multiple large European cities and high populated areas just to stop a possible Russian advance.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    what do you think a human life is actually worth? And are some human lives worth more than others?
    My opinion on the matter is, everyone's life is worth something. If not to other people, then to themselves
    (which should be respected by all), because we get one short rodeo, and that is it, and thus that rodeo is priceless and worth defending. I think people's value to society in general though, isn't as clear cut. Those who give back, work hard, and try to better the world around them, have more value then some slug of a person who leeches off others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

Deleted
    Are some worth more than others?

Yes, based on their education, skills and/or capital.

An engineer is more valuable to society than a burger flipper.

YOU set the value of your life. If you break in to steal my TV then you set the value of your life to be less than the value of a TV if I catch you. See how that works.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

In moral terms, this is a difficult question that depends on some core values that people don't change much.

In economic terms, it's not a difficult question at all. A 24 year old person fresh off of getting their MS in Computer Science has a much higher expected return for society than a sickly 80 year old person or a 4 year old with lead poisoning.

All humans should be treated with human dignity, but as an accounting and policy matter, they don't all have the same value.

I never valued children over adults. It's stupid to think "save women and children first!" what if they are cunts and retards? I'd prefer to quickly assess who is around and safe the most valuable person based on their skill set. For instance, take a movie like San Andreas (never saw it), The Rock is a rescue pilot and I guess The Big One hits SoCal, so he should be flying around saving people from his CHOPPER, ok, so that's fine (I guess he doesn't, he does other Rock shit instead), but if you land on the roof of a building that has 20 people and you have room for two, 6 are kids... sorry, I'm probably not taking any kids. They have no skills that would be more valuable than those that one of the adults might have. Now, if there is a super genius kid there, sure, save him, but otherwise... naw.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I never valued children over adults. It's stupid to think "save women and children first!" what if they are cunts and retards? I'd prefer to quickly assess who is around and safe the most valuable person based on their skill set. For instance, take a movie like San Andreas (never saw it), The Rock is a rescue pilot and I guess The Big One hits SoCal, so he should be flying around saving people from his CHOPPER, ok, so that's fine (I guess he doesn't, he does other Rock shit instead), but if you land on the roof of a building that has 20 people and you have room for two, 6 are kids... sorry, I'm probably not taking any kids. They have no skills that would be more valuable than those that one of the adults might have. Now, if there is a super genius kid there, sure, save him, but otherwise... naw.
    I sort of agree with this. If you have 5 really smart cancer scientists, 5 kids, and 5 random single mothers, im taking the scientists if I can only save 5.

Every life is valuable. For most sane people (not the depressed/suicidal) their life is the most important thing to them. I don't believe in sacrificing anyone for the greater good. However, some people are definitely worth more than others. Some people are content with doing nothing with their lives while others have a ton of ambition and get some good shit done.

Quote Originally Posted by Shigenari View Post
    The problem with this whole thing is that everyone's trying to have a discussion about value, but nobody has agreed on a definition of what value actually is. Trying to debate philosophy without well-defined terms is kind of pointless, because it means that there are endless right answers depending on what you determine 'value' to mean.
    To me, value means if there are 2 people, and I can only save one, which would I choose. Its very subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I always found this to be an interesting question and one no one can really answer without getting their emotions and bias (we are human ourselves after all) involved.

Some people will say that every life is valuable and that even questioning this is wrong. Others are capable of saying that Humanity is so widespread that a human life is so common that it's value is perhaps more valued on what the person is capable of in life, or his/her contribution to the world.

Let's try to look at it as objectively as we can and answer this question for ourselves: what do you think a human life is actually worth? And are some human lives worth more than others?

Edit: Please don't make this about race or culture. Just focus on the human perspective.
    i think the value of a human life is determined by one actions, for example mafia boss life value is 0, a terrorist life value is 0, a pedophile life value is 0 etc the world would be a better place if we could wipe those kind of humans off from it's face.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    what do you think a human life is actually worth? And are some human lives worth more than others?
    Not much there are 7 billion of us. I mean let's say 3.5 billion of us die tomorrow for some reason is the world going to grind to a halt? Not likely. And yes, individual value varies among us. Unless you believe the guy who makes meth and sells it has the same value as a productive member of society.

The monetary value of human life is typically answered by any big business.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The monetary value of human life is typically answered by any big business.
    Actually, it's typically answered by government regulatory agencies that attempt to determine whether a given policy is worth implementing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Not much there are 7 billion of us. I mean let's say 3.5 billion of us die tomorrow for some reason is the world going to grind to a halt? Not likely. And yes, individual value varies among us. Unless you believe the guy who makes meth and sells it has the same value as a productive member of society.
    Depends which 3.5 billion and for whom you're referring to. Randomly killing half of the people in developed countries (say, by a terrible virus) would have a pretty devastating impact on the remaining half.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Well, you could converge to same conclusion for either moralistic or selfish PoV, unless you are confident that you are among the top 1% high potentials.
    I disagree.

If you could perfectly understand that one person has the potential to return nothing positive to a society and one that has the potential to be a net positive; the net positive is worth more.

However, from a moralistic standpoint, I think this is abhorrent due to the subjectivity of morals.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

7+ Year Old Account
    Innocent Life > Corrupt Life

It gets a bit trickier from there. But I have zero sympathy for criminals.

But if we get more specific, for me Lives of People I care about > Strangers.

I doesn't I wish harm on strangers, only that in a dire situations, I would try to help my friends and family stay alive first.

Also, while we are on the subject.

Human Life > Animal life. Bring on the bacon.

10+ Year Old Account
    A human life is valued as 100 pounds of gold. -Ninjas

No life has any value. Or won't in the future when they have machines that can do literally everything. Human lives have value only in so much as to what they can do or contribute. But we're told that people who can't do anything (ex: mentally disabled, physically disabled, etc) have tons of value when really we all know that isn't true. But our corporate overlords who control our lives see us as cattle. Probably worth less than cattle because cattle at least can provide food in a variety of forms.