Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New player need info

Hello all, I just started playing swtor on a new made account after many years of pause but now I do not know what expansion I have to buy or what to do exactly in order to have full acces.My account is now f2p and i was wondering if it is enough to subscribe in order to get full access to the game or do i have to buy some expansion also. Anyone can enlighten me please?

Deleted
    If you subscribe you get all expansions included, no need to purchase more, I think you can outright buy the latest fallen empire one tho for goodies, as far as I am aware

- - - Updated - - -

The link tells you what's included in a sub
    https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/wiki/f2p

Subscribing for one month unlocks all the expansions. So it's basically $15 for everything.

Yes, the expansion content is still yours if you cancel the sub.

Deleted
    To add to what fencers said (sorry fencers)
    Yup you keep all if you cancel sub
    But say as example you play the new fallen empire chapters 1-9 and 10 when its out in two weeks but then cancel sub,
    You lose all access to future chapters so your story will be stuck in limbo

I have a question too. I used to be a sub so I'm at preferred status now. If I resub which of the species will be available to me? I wanna start fresh!
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lbcritter View Post
    I have a question too. I used to be a sub so I'm at preferred status now. If I resub which of the species will be available to me? I wanna start fresh!
    Thanks in advance.
    Cathar and Togruta are paid races, the rest are all accessible based on your faction/which you've unlocked through legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Cathar and Togruta are paid races, the rest are all accessible based on your faction/which you've unlocked through legacy.
    Oh ok thanks!

Gonna ask a few questions here as it is mostly in line with new player stuff.

I haven't played since about a few months after it was released, so basically a new player, looking to possibly get back into the game at least for a bit just have a questions.

1. You don’t have to buy the base game anymore right? Just either play for free or pay for a sub?
    2. Only looking to really play this game as a RPG really, not focusing on raiding/pvp/etc. Would it be worth it just for that?
    3. Accounting for the above, I looked at sub vs F2P but it is sort of hard to tell if it is worth it. For someone playing like me do you think the sub would be worth it?
    4. There is no SWTOR token right? You can’t farm in game currency to pay for sub?
    5. Finally, this is pretty unlikely but does anyone know a way to possibly get back an account where I have no idea what information I used when I made it? I know at least one of the characters woulda been faltemer, but that is about it.
    6. Any other tips/advice is fine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    Gonna ask a few questions here as it is mostly in line with new player stuff.

I haven't played since about a few months after it was released, so basically a new player, looking to possibly get back into the game at least for a bit just have a questions.

1. You don’t have to buy the base game anymore right? Just either play for free or pay for a sub?
    Base game is free, but you need to sub to get all expansions free.

2. Only looking to really play this game as a RPG really, not focusing on raiding/pvp/etc. Would it be worth it just for that?
    You can play it entirely for the story , only come across one quest as part of fallen empire that you need to pvp but that's only for a companion, so you can skip it but won't get the companion

3. Accounting for the above, I looked at sub vs F2P but it is sort of hard to tell if it is worth it. For someone playing like me do you think the sub would be worth it?
    A sub does get you a lot, but you can buy a lot of the unlocks on the cartel market (ingame shop) if you don't want to sub, tho personally I think the sub is worth it

4. There is no SWTOR token right? You can’t farm in game currency to pay for sub?
    Correct

5. Finally, this is pretty unlikely but does anyone know a way to possibly get back an account where I have no idea what information I used when I made it? I know at least one of the characters woulda been faltemer, but that is about it.
    That I can't help I'm afraid, had similar issue with a launch account and then coming back and had to just start over

6. Any other tips/advice is fine
    Take it slow, enjoy the game, the stories and the planets, but don't start the latest expansion fallen empire before doing class stories, companion stories, shadows of revan expansion, as due to events in it you are forever locked out of that content , also link in my sig will give you a free boost like inventory slots, 7 day free sub etc,.
    Also, welcome back and enjoy the game!

Oops forgot to take quotes out, so answers are within your quote, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    I play SWTOR for the leveling experience...i have done zero raids and zero pvp. You say "not focusing on raiding/pvp" but i dont know if you also plan to not do it at all, or just do it a few times a week or something. If you still want to try doing it a few times a week you can buy operation(raid) and pvp passes for cartel coins or in game currency. But anyways since i do not do those things at all the game is fine for me as a preferred F2P. I've unlocked what i wanted to unlock like extra action bars, unify colors, extra character slots and hide helm and i'm set. All i do is level a ton of alts for the storyline and leveling experience and i'll spam flashpoints too. As an F2P you can do as many flashpoints as you want but the number of times you can win a roll on loot per week is limited to 3 times. But since i have no interest in loot from flashpoints that restriction doesnt affect me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythicalfury View Post
    Also, welcome back and enjoy the game!

Oops forgot to take quotes out, so answers are within your quote, sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by notanmmmonewbie View Post
    I play SWTOR for the leveling experience...i have done zero raids and zero pvp. You say "not focusing on raiding/pvp" but i dont know if you also plan to not do it at all, or just do it a few times a week or something. If you still want to try doing it a few times a week you can buy operation(raid) and pvp passes for cartel coins or in game currency. But anyways since i do not do those things at all the game is fine for me as a preferred F2P. I've unlocked what i wanted to unlock like extra action bars, unify colors, extra character slots and hide helm and i'm set. All i do is level a ton of alts for the storyline and leveling experience and i'll spam flashpoints too. As an F2P you can do as many flashpoints as you want but the number of times you can win a roll on loot per week is limited to 3 times. But since i have no interest in loot from flashpoints that restriction doesnt affect me.
    Alright thanks Ill take these into account.

Deleted
    What will happen when my subscription runs out? Can I still access the fallen empire stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Lichthoof View Post
    What will happen when my subscription runs out? Can I still access the fallen empire stuff?
    Yes. Naturally, you don't get NEW Fallen Empire stuff thereafter.

Deleted
    Cancelled sub gets access to original, hutt, revan (what's left of it) and KOTFE up till your sub ran out, so if you cancelled now you get chapters 1-10 but won't get 11

Edited due to auto correct having a mind of her own

Deleted
    Also, if u just wanna sub for 1 month to get access to expansions and then cancel, be sure to manage ur money. Its rly easy to accumulate cash as a sub, but when ur account gets into preferred mode, ur credits limit is 350k, rest goes into escrow. u can buy escrow transfers on gtn (idiotically expensive) or just lose it (u get it back if u re-sub) but imo its better to spend whatever extra cash u have on legacy unlocks or sth like that b4 u become preferred.

Yup I have unsubbed and have started inventory management seriously, transferring all the creds to a main and buying unlocks, dyes, artifact authorisation, speeders, augments, special items etc. It's a 'blast' heheh.

Deleted
    Where to invest the cartell credits? Weapons seems to have same stats like all others. Looking to buy some overpowered things

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by suchender81 View Post
    Where to invest the cartell credits? Weapons seems to have same stats like all others. Looking to buy some overpowered things
    If you mean the the weapons on the market place, they aren't statted, they are for looks, when you buy one you can add mods to them, which then gives them stats, from either crew skil crafting, GTN (auction house) or vendors on the fleet for data crystals

Quote Originally Posted by suchender81 View Post
    You wont buy anything over powered from the cartel market. Looks only. I guess I could stretch that a bit a say if you bought one of the color crystals and opened it for all characters they can be used at level 10. So putting them in an adaptive MH and OH you would have +82 to power or crit at level 10 and thats pretty nice. Thats about as over powered as you might can get from the cartel market bought stuff. It's all for looks.

If you have not bought it yet, one of the most useful perks you can buy is Rocket Boost from the legacy tab. Usable when you can't use a mount. You can use it every 30 seconds for 15 seconds. Very handy in many places to get to where you want faster and mounts are not allowed. Not OP but very nice to have.