Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

What's a good healthy snack to fight off hunger?

No, I am not talking about diets or any of that, just curious about anyone who might have some really easy healthy snacks that pretty good at fighting off hunger?

I also to am wondering about cost since healthy snack platters can get kind of expensive.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Almonds, Pistachios ...etc. they are fairly portable, fast and ...keep you held over for a good while.Just don't eat an entire can bag etc. Serving size is important with them.

Deleted
    400g of chicken breast filet with a tablespoon of lowcarb mayonaise.

Nuts are OK too but if salted youll crave for more and 175g of nuts is around 800 calories. Just FYI.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think deez nuts are pretty good for that.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Trail mix is great and fairly filling, or something like a granola bar.

The blood of the innocent.

Also chicken.

Celery of you want something "crunchy" and miss the sensation of eating chips.

Air Popped Popcorn works for me.
    One of these days, I should probably figure out a decent signature.

Protein Shakes. I like optimum nutrition, mixed with unsweetened almond milk, personally.

Side note, 400g of chicken breast is not a "snack."

Almonds, plain popcorn, baby carrots, and protein shakes are my usual choices for a snack.

Shoot for complex carbohydrates: fruit, green/starchy veg, whole grain, oats etc
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually nibble on some homemade trail mix (peanuts or cashews, white chocolate chips, raisins, crumbled pecans, crumbled walnuts, and dried banana slices) between meals. Not the healthiest of healthy snacks, but it beats a bag of chips.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    400g of chicken breast filet with a tablespoon of lowcarb mayonaise.

Nuts are OK too but if salted youll crave for more and 175g of nuts is around 800 calories. Just FYI.
    Yeah, you might be onto something with the salt that I have noticed, I've been pretty fit most of my life, but as some age sets in, I do actually notice how sometimes i am hungry now when I am not, and typically it is after eating something salty or with a lot of sugar.

It's really weird when I do get hungry almost kind of hurts or I feel sick, I don't now that I knocked off the fast food and easy snacks that I let get away from me but yeah, looking for anybody with experience who has some good advice about snacking that doesn't lead to being more hungry.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    The blood of the innocent.

Also chicken.

Celery of you want something "crunchy" and miss the sensation of eating chips.
    Why did you forget to say the heart? And the arms?

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Most nuts tend to be handy. I like sunflower seeds myself.

Low carb vegetables (broccoli, celery, cauliflower, greens) can work well, but you tend to have to eat more to feel full. You have to be careful about what you are putting on that stuff though...a lot of those dips and dressings are high in refined sugars and/or high fat (fat really isn't an issue, but I'm not going to fight that battle here).

Lean meats can work well, but they aren't very handy. Things like jerky strips tend to have tons of sodium, nitrites, and/or nitrates which aren't good for you at all.

Bananas and sunflower seeds help me, also drinking plenty of water can help you stave off hunger.

Hummus and carrots/celery sticks or almonds and fruit.

Yogurt is pretty filling and cheap. Get flavored or unflavored. Add in whatever you want. I take non-fat yogurt and add in flax seed, protein powder, oats, and just a little peanut butter.

15+ Year Old Account
    Was going to say just what you posted. Vegetables with dip is a great (and delicious) snack.

Price depends how much variety you want, buy lots of different stuff will make it cost more.

10+ Year Old Account
    draenei meat. especially youngins. they are incredibly tasty. baby draenei are the best.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    As strange as it might seem if you're unfamiliar with it ... dal. Any good Indian cookbook will have several recipes. I haven't kept up with things, so I'll fall back on recommending Madhur Jaffrey as an author to get you started.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.