Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Darkest media you ever saw/read/played?

Hello champions! So, I'm a big, big fan of Berserk, I love GoT, F. Fantasy Tactics is one of my favourite games ever, Arcanum is in my Steam library and I'm in love with everything that is dark (or has a dark side) in the overall media.

Do you have any suggestion?

Animes, Movies, TV Shows, Mangas, Games, anything.

Deleted
    Anime: Berserk, Evangelion (I don’t recommend that one, the ending makes no sense)
    Manga: Berserk
    Movie: Alien films (horror), Watchmen (darkest superheros anyway), 2001 Space Odessy + Orange Mechanic aswell
    TV shows: Don’t watch many but GoT and The Expanse are the darkest for now
    Book: Don’t read much so LoTR books...heard Drizzt books were pretty dark
    Games: Dark Souls 1 + 2...Oblivion (when it came out I thought it was pretty dark material in general), Bioshock (1 + 2), Doom

I don’t like horror stuff, reason why none are really listed (Saw, etc...).
    Last edited by mmoc1647d17dd8; 2016-01-29 at 07:15 PM.

A lot of the WH40K stuff is pretty dark. It's mitigated a lot by the fairly nonchalant attitude of everyone involved towards said darkness, though.

For anime, From the New World is probably the darkest stuff I've seen that isn't on the cosmic scale.

Can't think of any especially dark movies off the top of my head. Though I remember watching Apocalypse Now Redux in the theaters and feeling like I was watching a madman's fever dream.

I guess dark stuff isn't very popular, since it just gets depressing after a while. Most of the "best" dark stuff you can consume is memoirs from wars or warzones, who don't concern themselves with entertaining and thus reveal the author's experiences in all their horror. It can be really hard to read though, since you're reading someone's actual experiences rather than something someone made up. But it does make accusations that stuff like WH40K is "grimdark" look pretty lame. Compared to reality most of that shit is just mundane.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    Malazan book of the Fallen gets pretty dark at times. Almost TOO dark.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

That scene in Spirited Away when the parents turn into pigs, among others

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Malazan book of the Fallen gets pretty dark at times. Almost TOO dark.
    MBotF is the considered by many critics to be the best-written modern fantasy series in existence, and it gets dark as fuck. Anyone who hasn't picked it up and read it is missing out.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Anyone who hasn't picked it up and read it is missing out.
    100% agreed. Truly superb series, the first book is a bit myeh, but after that it just gets better and better. I'd love it to get a really faithful TV/Movie adaption, but honestly I don't think they could get some of the shit that happens past the sensors.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Kara no Shoujo... was pretty heavy. I still cry about it sometimes. WHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYY?!???!

Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West is the grimmest, truest and darkest portrait of humanity I have read.

Everything else is for children.

Anime: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Berserk, Fate/Zero, Death Note (Especially towards the end)
    Anime Film: Grave of the Fireflies
    Live Action Film: The Dark Knight
    Live Action Television: Daredevil
    Literature: Ravenor Returned (from Warhammer 40k)
    Video Games: Xenoblade Chronicles (Two hours in and your crying, the nightmare fuel is strong in this one)

How about music and painting.

Here's Rachmaninoff's Isle of the Dead (1908), a symphonic poem inspired by a painting with the same name (at 3:00 you can see my favorite version of the original painting).

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West is the grimmest, truest and darkest portrait of humanity I have read.

Everything else is for children.
    I've read that one. Have you read Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door? It tops Blood Meridian. It's a very, very hard read.

Seeing people list stuff like The Dark Knight, Daredevil, and a lot of other stuff mentioned in this thread, when stuff like Blood Meridian and Girl Next Door exist just makes me shake my head...

When this game was first printed it was seen by some as too dark and controversial.

And I recall a very dark movie that was just awful anyway; the movie Antichrist

I'm not a fan of this sort of thing anyway...so I'll just bow out.

As weird as it sounds, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep is actually a pretty dark game, despite it being part disney. That is also the reason that game is my favorite in the KH series so far, nothing like a good dark story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victorya View Post
    Hello champions! So, I'm a big, big fan of Berserk, I love GoT, F. Fantasy Tactics is one of my favourite games ever, Arcanum is in my Steam library and I'm in love with everything that is dark (or has a dark side) in the overall media.

Do you have any suggestion?

Animes, Movies, TV Shows, Mangas, Games, anything.
    Anime - Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku (Probably the darkest anime ever made), Shinsekai Yori, Rainbow, Serial Experiments Lain, Gunslinger Girl.

Movies - Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer, Leaving Las Vegas, The Road, Audition, OldBoy, The Mist.

TV Shows - True Detective, Game Of Thrones, Making A Murderer.

Books - Clive Barker's Books Of Blood + Hellbound Heart (and most of his other 80's~ works)... there are so many different possibilities in this category, that I'll just go with Clive Barker as a unique angle.

Games - Silent Hill 2, Spec Ops: The Line, Shadow Of The Colossus, I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, Dark Souls, Limbo.

Deleted
    Anime Grave of the Fireflies, its very sad.

Westen animation Watership down.

MUTANT RYMD adventure Fallna Änglar "Mutant Chronicles" Fallen Angels.

MUTANT RYMD is the Swedich RPG who was the ansestor to Mutant Chronicles. (one part Blade Runer, one part Kult and one part Warhammer 40k, see Shadowferal post) It must be one of the most darkest adventure ever officially created.

SPOILER for Fallna Änglar

The party is hired by a megacoperation Imperial to investigate megacoperation Bauhaus asteroid base, who got of the air. They get a ship and travel to the astroid. There they find loost of slaughter all are dead. Then they are attacked by a robot and try to kill the party (he is only afraid, so you can talk him down, but how try) then the party find a Dark Angel who want to kill the party, then in a mine shafts the party find the remains of a Bauhaus rescue force, and lern that Bauhus did dig up some Dark Angels from the core of the astroid. Do not remember (if it was in fallen Angels or in the dragons eyes) the angels are busy bulding a transmiter of daed bodies to to signal for help. The party and remains of a Bauhaus rescue force fight the Dark angels, who realy want to kill the party. Victory yeeaaa then the Bauhaus rescue force trying to kill the party becuse they know to mutch. Meanwhile "the evil" (dark legion in englich) send a Battelship to rescuse the Dark Angels, and send down a assult squad to kill the party, Meanwhile the Inquisition notis the dark legion and send a battelship and a assult squad to kill evrybady on the astroid becuse they are contaminated by evil. So the party would do well to flee, or they will be crushed. The way home the ship AI realase sleeping gas on the ship, and the party wake up strapped to bunks and there boss tell them they are on there way to the organ bank becuse Imperial cant have any loose ends......

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I've read that one. Have you read Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door? It tops Blood Meridian. It's a very, very hard read.
    I did read it. It was alright.

It's not on the same level of literacy and seriousness of Blood Meridian. In Cold Blood (murder), Night (Holocaust) and The End of Alice (pedophiles) are close. But BM is accurately, a masterpiece of modern literature on level reserved only for the highest among humanity's arts.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."

I have never thought more about words and humanity than Blood Meridian. The book is in my mind all the time. The Stranger, Blood Meridian and Being and Time are most significant writings I have happened upon in my lifetime.

Seeing people list stuff like The Dark Knight, Daredevil, and a lot of other stuff mentioned in this thread, when stuff like Blood Meridian and Girl Next Door exist just makes me shake my head...
    Well, I wasn't being facetious above. Most of what is being mentioned here is simply childish.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2016-01-31 at 06:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Recently? Soma. That game was extremely bleak.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deepr View Post
    How about music and painting.

Here's Rachmaninoff's Isle of the Dead (1908), a symphonic poem inspired by a painting with the same name (at 3:00 you can see my favorite version of the original painting).

nice taste ,

Also Alban Berg's Lulu suite ^_^

Well lets start with a classic, Elfen Lied can be quite dark in places and dam right strange in others, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Berserk for starters

Clive Barkers Books of Blood are great, I'd recommend reading Stephen Kings IT that book has very dark and weird moments all over it

Daredevil and Jessica Jones are both quite dark for TV shows with undertones of dark themes follow them up with Making a Murderer

Films... well depending on how dark twisted and crazy you want to go there's quite a lot of them available to watch, Martyrs, Antichrist are two that unless you are into this sort of film i would be careful watching em (there's alot more where they come from too)