Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You just answered your own question. It's the shrieking. That's how college rape laws and safe spaces have gotten where they are.
    No, it's the shrieking of people against it.

Picture this:

You have someone that proposes an off-the-wall proposal. It's laughed at, looked at, and determined to be a bit too far, but maybe there's a reasonable part that can be salvaged.

You have someone that proposes an off-the-wall proposal. It's latched onto as a sign of everything bad, shrieked about o the internet for weeks, and gives the impression that a large amount of people care about this topic. The far more radical version is put in based on the shit spewed from *both* sides against each other.

Stop legitimizing crazies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blomster View Post
    I want left-wing policies. ._.
    Stop being a goddamned Commie.

Embrace the centre right, you know it is your destiny young Tiilliiii.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Stop being a goddamned Commie.

Embrace the centre right, you know it is your destiny young Tiilliiii.
    No! It's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    No, it's the shrieking of people against it.

Picture this:

You have someone that proposes an off-the-wall proposal. It's laughed at, looked at, and determined to be a bit too far, but maybe there's a reasonable part that can be salvaged.

You have someone that proposes an off-the-wall proposal. It's latched onto as a sign of everything bad, shrieked about o the internet for weeks, and gives the impression that a large amount of people care about this topic. The far more radical version is put in based on the shit spewed from *both* sides against each other.

Stop legitimizing crazies.
    And the same thing can be said about treating a college chant or having two kinds of bathrooms as the end of the world.

And the same thing can be said about treating a college chant or having two kinds of bathrooms as the end of the world.
    Those are included in the "crazies" most of the time. Crazy is politically irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really can't.

The only reason why it has become acceptable to froth at the mouth in pursuit of social justice is because the opposition does exactly the same in their refusal to even consider a measured discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

It doesn't sell well to the ignorant masses that you might have to compromise to be an effective leader. They want to hear that you're going to kick ass and they get everything they want and a pony too.

The reality is lots of compromise still happens in politics.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It really can't.

The only reason why it has become acceptable to froth at the mouth in pursuit of social justice is because the opposition does exactly the same in their refusal to even consider a measured discussion.
    And the cycle will continue to the end of humanity.

I prefer politics with no compromise, the problem is there's very little of this. We've got two sides of the same coin putting on a good show of not compromising while really just win trading back and forth depending on who is in power, each side pushing incremental changes that both invariably believe in except for a few diehards and dupes.

More gridlock is better for the average citizen, less gridlock is better for the business class and influence peddlers.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

I don't know.

The best compromise to the abortion debate would be to end government funding to pro-abortion organizations like Planned Parenthood.

The best compromise to the same sex "marriage" debate would be to get the government out of marriage. If two people of the same gender wanted to pretend to be "married" that would be their problem.

The best compromise to the healthcare debate would be just to get the government out of the healthcare system. We already have laws against corruption, antitrust laws, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkacid View Post
    I don't know.

The best compromise to the abortion debate would be to end government funding to pro-abortion organizations like Planned Parenthood.
    That isn't a compromise.

The best compromise to the same sex "marriage" debate would be to get the government out of marriage. If two people of the same gender wanted to pretend to be "married" that would be their problem.
    Sure, but not everything should be compromised on.

The best compromise to the healthcare debate would be just to get the government out of the healthcare system. We already have laws against corruption, antitrust laws, etc.
    Also not a compromise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by damajin View Post
    More gridlock is better for the average citizen
    I don't see how a government capable of working is 'better' for anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkacid View Post
    I don't know.

The compromise for PP is that the government doesn't fund abortions - it doesn't. PP has to keep double books specifically to make certain of this.

The marriage bit doesn't really work unless you slash all benefits associated with it.. and I'm not even talking about taxes, here. Medical benefits, death benefits... all things that would need *someone* to oversee it. The compromise is that we let the government handle it rather than giving that power to a private corp.

As for healthcare.. it's not a free market. It can't be. Allowing people to set prices for something you *have* to have is a bit crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    If one party says four plus five is nine, and another party says four plus five is 45, the correct answer is still nine, not some compromise number between nine and 45.

If one side is abjectly wrong on a subject and denies the very facts that portend to dealing with something at hand, then their input on it is largely useless.

Like... climate change. You have the world's scientists on one side, and then you have a handful of conservative politicians. No "compromise" on hard science is needed there.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2016-01-29 at 09:05 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because if one party wants more funding for science and NASA, the other will want more freedom to spy on the American public.
    So what we have now is a budget that does generously fund NASA, but also allows the government to spy on us.
    The two party system is fucked, America is fucked, we're all fucked.

7+ Year Old Account
    Because compromise typically means letting one bad decision go through in exchange for another bad policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Because with compromise you end up with policies like Don't Ask, Don't Tell and the ACA.
    exactly this:

Good Full Measures > Bad Full Measures > Nothing > Half Measures

Compromised policies tend to do more harm than good, because they incur the expense and fail to produce the outcome.

Deleted
    Because it doesnt mean middleground.
    Compromise in politics is:
    Ill forsake my promises on point X if you forsake your promises on point Y.

Basicly by compromising both parties fuck over their voters.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can thank Barry Goldwater. When one party enshrined the idea of being anti-government into a major platform.

Anti-government types win by 2 methods.
    1) Enacting policy that actively dismantles government programs or agencies.
    2) By rejecting any government whatsoever. Using inaction to degrade existing government capabilities.

Basically assholes that reject freeway spending bills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't have any compromise when some people view it as a battle for the soul of America.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the perspective and context really. The problem being that in the House and Senate most votes on meaningful bills tend to be very partisan. For example, in the Senate a majority of the 100 is needed to pass a bill, so 51 votes. As of right now, there are 54 Republicans, 44 Democrats, and 2 Independents. So if Democrats want a bill they like passed, they have to convince at least 7 of the Republicans and/or Independents to vote with them (and for no Demos to flip and go against them). If any of the Republicans do go against their party line and switch, they'll often say they "compromised", but fellow Republicans would call them far worse. That's why the context and perspective of compromise is important. It's like whether you call someone who crosses a union picket line a scab or say they are just compromising.