Deleted

Does it bother you how immoral commercial business is?

Im relatively new to the business world but im already finding myself forsake the rules of morality when it comes to clients.

We fuck them over. Hard. On damages, insurance, whatever we can to make money. And when i bring it up i get the response: "Everyone is doing it and we need it to bring bread to the table". We make false promises to tell em later on we can deliver at 10% extra, and shit like that. Looking at your average grocery store and hardware store raising the prices before doing a discount, telecom companies having tiny little letters at tv commercials etc. etc. etc. And ofcourse theres stuff like medical aid costing 50x the production cost and shit like that, basicly fucking sick people over.

Its like the entire mentality is how about how fast your money can end up in my pocket.

Now im relatively good at this game, and i adapt fast. But i cant help but see how i forsake my innocense to become part of the workforce. Anyone else feel like this?
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2016-01-29 at 10:04 PM.

Deleted
    Fuck 'em. If those idiots read the contract, know the conditions and still sign the contract, then just fuck em. If society knows this and has done things like this for decades and nothing changed, fuck 'em.

It's not your responsability to educate morons. It's not your responsability to change society.

Deleted
    Yeah, I quit my previous job, because we essentially lied with our robotic counseling, selling lesser quality than what we would pitch that it was. That and I was asked to essentially bend worker rights to the max (the first fifteen minutes of overtime isn't counted, so I was asked to make tasks that would fit into that fifteen minute overtime and no more, providing a weekly free work time of about an hour for the company).

As for overall, I am still pissed that we have higher bread price after one single year of poor harvest, yet once it returned to the previous amounts harvested prices didn't change back. We had a sugar and fat tax to try and discourage it, didn't work and was removed, prices didn't drop. All benefiting pretty much no one else than the business owner, and fucking over all their consumers for profit, but rest assured, they worked hard for it!
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2016-01-29 at 10:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know how you feel working security, the truth is in almost every other person I talk to in security, the prevailing attitudes is we keep our eyes on the wrong people or potential criminals, especially when a good chunk or large amount of damage, comes from inside out.

Now days people kind of get the wrong idea about everything, even personal guards or security, and I think movies and what not really distort what people do. Most of the time, when you do even personal security, your client is often the one that puts themselves in more danger by bad decision making and people they elect to be around.

Because the truth is, like with your insurance company people just really want to be insured or secured from their own stupidity, and if you listen or read carefully, you can tell where most of their damage comes from.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Arkon View Post
    Fuck 'em. If those idiots read the contract, know the conditions and still sign the contract, then just fuck em. If society knows this and has done things like this for decades and nothing changed, fuck 'em.

It's not your responsability to educate morons. It's not your responsability to change society.
    it bothers me that this guy is actually right. it's the way most business works and it's either get on board with it or lose money.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Im relatively new to the business world but im already finding myself forsake the rules of morality when it comes to clients.

We fuck them over. Hard. On damages, insurance, whatever we can to make money. And when i bring it up i get the response: "Everyone is doing it and we need it to bring bread to the table". We make false promises to tell em later on we can deliver at 10% extra, and shit like that. Looking at your average grocery store and hardware store raising the prices before doing a discount, telecom companies having tiny little letters at tv commercials etc. etc. etc. And ofcourse theres stuff like medical aid costing 50x the production cost and shit like that, basicly fucking sick people over.

Its like the entire mentality is how about how fast your money can end up in my pocket.

Now im relatively good at this game, and i adapt fast. But i cant help but see how i forsake my innocense to become part of the workforce. Anyone else feel like this?
    The people doing immoral things in business were shitty people before they got in to business. Humans are the problem, not a piece of paper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkon View Post

What if there is no contract bro?

I set up my Cable/Internet entirely over the phone... The only time I signed my name to anything was when they came to install the cable and I signed a work order that simply acknowledged they came...

My rate the first year was $120/month, when I asked how much it would be after that, they said "we will give you whatever the best promotion at that time is..."

Here I am today, my bill this month was $199... $30 more than the previous year... I called to ask why, they said my promotion expired... I asked what I could do to lower it... They fiddled with their computer for a while and then lowered it back down to $170/month and said that rate would last until 2017...

No contracts no nothing, once again, the only thing I ever signed was a work order nearly four years ago to install the service...

Sounds like what happen to me at Verison..... i got new new smart phone for Christmas as a gift *i only had a smart phone for a year and it was a old hand me down* and i am 24, and no one could understand how i was 23 getting my first smart phone when i did get the hand me down.....

anyways I get the phone and they are giving out FREE TABLETS as a special deal.....and i am thinking this is to good, but the sales guy told me it was 100% free no charge..... then i get the bill of 60 dollars next month for 40 dollars adding it to the plan and 10 dollars a month for 2 years for a contract.

NONE OF WHICH I WAS TOLD.

i had to go with my mom because i am still on my parents plan paying them for my part as it's cheaper then getting my own plan but i have no authority on the account, she went in and basically only signed for the phone, and the tablet they rerun the purchase after she left to go get gas while i got the phone ready. Well stupid me i was told it was free no charges of any kind for buying the new phone..... i signed the new sheet assuming eveyrthing was the same *i can't sign for it so we plan using that as the way out as i have no legal authority to add a contract to the plan because i am not a account manager.

OH AND YEAH

i can't just cancel the tablet as if i cancel the tablet i pay Verizon 175 dollars for a 100 dollar tablet (240 over 2 years), OH and they want the tablet back as a requirement.......

I was told it was free no charges of any kind and i didn't even needed the tablet i only got it because i thought it was a nice addition that I MIGHT play around with alittle

needless to say i call them up to get it dropped and that is were i got the 175 dollar cancel fee bullshit....

but since only my mom is a account manager and she did not sign the new sheet they printed out, we are using it as a out, and i they do not take that she told them she plans to cancel the entire family plan and going to another provider for what she views as a scam and misrepresentation and she did not even sign for it. (we got physical proof to)

but they label it as a FREE WIRELESS TABLET! then they up charge it over 300% of it's market value......

so i owe my parents for it if they do not get the money back, and it taught me a valuable LESSON that i know for the internet..... IF IT'S TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT IS!
    Last edited by Arthas242; 2016-01-29 at 10:26 PM.

You work for a shitty company and should feel shitty for what you do.

Companies are amoral, that much is true. Actively immoral such as you're describing is indefensible.

also reminds me when i worked in retail and so many customers would tell me i was the most honest, helpful person they ever ment in retail because i would do everything i could to help them out, and even tell them where they could get things the cheapest or how they can with coupons and showing them how to get them. 3 said i was the only reason they plan to keep shopping their because of how professional i was and HONEST *not trying to oversell or over charge them...... and of course i was paid a shit wage and i could of been fired for what i did because *that means the business is losing money* and i even told some regular customers when they forgot their coupons and i just gave them one to not tell anyone because i can be fired even though it made them a happy returning customer, CORPORATE views it as losing money

(in my view it's short term loss, and not even that as they could just leave and come back with it, for long term gain)

BUT CORPORATE KNOWS BEST! not you silly lowly paid scrub.....
    Last edited by Arthas242; 2016-01-29 at 10:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Without regulation, people will usually tend towards selfishness and greed. It's why the Great Depression and more recent recession happened. Sadly it seems like too many people have a naive faith in businesses doing more good than bad, which allows them to slowly widdle away the barriers against excessive greed.

Some places screw you over, stores like Amazon treat you well and let's see who wins in the end, Amazon or the jerk companies.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Some places screw you over, stores like Amazon treat you well and let's see who wins in the end, Amazon or the jerk companies.
    i admit i love amazon, i get what i want when i want it and it always arrive when it's suppose to and i can buy it in my underwear!Also i don;t have to worry about special FREE deals that are not free , but ment to screw you over......Also it's usually cheaper then what the physical store has for the same product.....

THIS IS ALSO WHY i posted in another thread about parking lots and hating people more and more as i get older cause i just see more and more scummy people.......

There's a number of reasons why I got out of sales and the immorality of it is one of them, definitely. It takes on an additional aspect in sales when you have to start applying psychological principles to various managers and buyers to literally mindfuck them into taking whatever it is you're selling them, at as much of your own terms as you possibly can. Chain stores have gotten much wiser to this in the past decade but there's still lots of room to take a store for a ride and it gets very exhausting and degrading doing that day in and day out.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

7+ Year Old Account
    Morality, lol.

Yes, I hope someday we'll see some stricter regulations over what businesses can get away with.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

it doesn't bother me because I've learned to expect it

the reality is that in the U.S. (and probably to a lesser extent elsewhere) worker and consumer protections are very weak; companies want to make as much money as possible (and corporations are actually obligated to), so they take advantage of that weakness any time they can.

my advice would be to move as much of your business as possible to relatively well-behaved businesses (which do exist), and to institutions that aren't strictly motivated by profit (credit unions, co-ops, etc.)

10+ Year Old Account
    They usually have an required ethics course in college but when they charge you 500 dollars for the textbook, you literally get what you "pay" for. Oh the irony...

I am thankful that the company I run doesn't do any of this shit. We are very nice to both of our vendors and customers...and we still make a shit load of money.