Page 1 of 2
LastLast

help cooking goddamn hashbrowns

I'm trying to cook hashbrowns that are crispy on the outside and cripsy-soft on the inside depending on the thickness.

I just keep ending up with mushed potato shavings that have some darker parts.

What I do:

Non stick pan.
    Heat olive oil to a deep-fry-sound hotness
    put in room-temp shaved potatoes
    season
    turn down to low temp.
    wait.

They never fricking brown. If I do leave them on long enough to brown, the browned part you'd want on your hashbrowns sticks to (the non-stick) pan.

GAH!

Help me slay this potatoey white whale.

Dry your hashbrowns first.

Listen to this bitch. She knows her shit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0dbSxAKljk
    Last edited by teddytous; 2016-01-30 at 12:59 AM.
    "Well shit, ya'll have fun now"

I just use Wesson oil and cook them kind of hot. I get the dried one in the little carton though.

The ones at Waffle House are actually made from shredded roaches

Olive oil?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Olive oil is a terrible choice for this. Its smoke point is too low for any kind of "frying." Your hashbrowns are quite literally just absorbing the olive oil and becoming shit.

Some high oleic acid Canola Oil is what you want. It needs to be hot as fuck (210-220C+) when you put the hashbrowns in so it crisps up the outside quickly. Freezing the potato ahead of time will help too to keep the interior temperature low for longer while the exterior fries just watch for splashback from water/ice.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Thanks!!! So much helpfulness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Olive oil? For browning? Yeah ok, there's your problem. Stick some butter in there.

Try finishing them (or starting them) in the oven. It might also be the pan you are using.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotchris View Post
    I'm trying to cook hashbrowns that are crispy on the outside and cripsy-soft on the inside depending on the thickness.

I just keep ending up with mushed potato shavings that have some darker parts.

What I do:

Non stick pan.
    Heat olive oil to a deep-fry-sound hotness
    put in room-temp shaved potatoes
    season
    turn down to low temp.
    wait.

They never fricking brown. If I do leave them on long enough to brown, the browned part you'd want on your hashbrowns sticks to (the non-stick) pan.

GAH!

Help me slay this potatoey white whale.
    One poster suggested removing excess starch and that's probably a good step towards next level hash browns, however we are falling short of even basic level hash browns. Make your hash browns and try upping the temperature of your pan, throw in some butter and lightly brown off the outsides pretty quick, 5-10 mins work. Then finish off in the oven to get the actual cooking of the potato done. Should take 20-30 mins on a medium heat.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't tried it on hash browns, but I make my fries this way all the time and they come out absolutely delicious (crispy outside, soft inside).

Bake them first. Let them cool. Deep fry them.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

chop hashbrowns up put on aluminum foil in over middle rack lightly put a little oil over them. (fold the edges of the aluminum foil)
    Put oven on 450 walk away for 15 minutes rotate(flip) hashbrowns walk away 10 more minutes. Douse with salt. Eat.

Now I want some crispy hash browns... and some eggs too

10+ Year Old Account
    Necessary ingredients for good hash browns:

1> Rinse potatos after shaving them, to de-starch them a bit.
    2> Dry the potatos. And I don't mean just pat them down. I mean get a dishtowel, put a handful in, and squeeze. Ideal method is to bundle them up in the towel, and then twist the ends; that'll help you get some purchase. You need to get rid of a bunch of the moisture in the potatoes themselves or they'll be too damp to crisp up properly.

#2 is way more critical than #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    One poster suggested removing excess starch and that's probably a good step towards next level hash browns, however we are falling short of even basic level hash browns. Make your hash browns and try upping the temperature of your pan, throw in some butter and lightly brown off the outsides pretty quick, 5-10 mins work. Then finish off in the oven to get the actual cooking of the potato done. Should take 20-30 mins on a medium heat.
    I do try to drain as much of the water out of the potatoes as possible before I cook them. I've never tried browning them with butter or putting them into the oven

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Necessary ingredients for good hash browns:

1> Rinse potatos after shaving them, to de-starch them a bit.
    2> Dry the potatos. And I don't mean just pat them down. I mean get a dishtowel, put a handful in, and squeeze. Ideal method is to bundle them up in the towel, and then twist the ends; that'll help you get some purchase. You need to get rid of a bunch of the moisture in the potatoes themselves or they'll be too damp to crisp up properly.

#2 is way more critical than #1.
    I have done that, yes. Early on, I ID'd the moisture in the potatoes as a serious problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    The type of potato you use can have a great impact on the final result. Waxy red or new potatoes turn nice and creamy when cooked, but are terrible at developing crisp crusts. Yukon golds will develop a decent crust and end up with a buttery interior. My personal favorite is regular old russets, which develop the crispest, craggiest crusts that stay crunchy even when dragged through golden liquid egg yolk multiple times.

The lesson? Stick with either Russet or Yukon gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have lots of BBQ sauce incase the advice given doesn't work.

Good Luck!
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    There is one thing people are missing: using a non stick pan. Use cast iron, it will help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Dry them good then freeze them. Use vegetable oil, shortening, lard or the king, bacon fat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    There is one thing people are missing: using a non stick pan. Use cast iron, it will help.
    Cast iron makes everything better.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

This thread is the most relevant thread to my life right now. OP, you say what is in my heart.

My hash browns come out okay, but I can never get them like my sister does. I am gonna try baking them. I think that is easier. I will let you know how they come out.