Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Abandoned Cruise Ship Full of Starving Rats Headed For Land

http://gawker.com/abandoned-cruise-s...for-1507439976

A ghost ship filled with cannibal rats is floating somewhere off the coast of Scotland,
    ready to crash ashore and unleash its disease-ridden cargo of starving rodents.
    And it's all because Canadian authorities let the Soviet-era nightmare liner loose
    in the North Atlantic, satisfied that it was no longer a threat to Canada.

The "hundreds" of rats aboard the abandoned cruise ship have surely begun eating each other by now,
    officials say. It has been nearly a year since the vessel was intentionally lost at sea by Canadian
    authorities who were happy to let the "biohazard" become another country's problem.

This gruesome gift from Canada is now expected to crash ashore in Ireland or the United Kingdom,
    dumping the plague ship's living cargo of cannibal rats onto the land.

Named for a popular film actress in Stalin's USSR, the Lyubov Orlova was built by the Soviets in
    1976 to treat Russian elites with pleasure cruises to Antarctica and the Arctic Circle.

But it was seized in 2010, by Canadian police acting as debt collectors against the ship's
    now-private owners, and for years it remained anchored off St. John's, the provincial capital
    of Newfoundland. Finally sold for scrap in 2012, the massive ship was lost at sea just a day
    after being towed out. When Canadian authorities finally captured the cruise ship last year,
    they decided to let it loose in international waters.

In our era of Google satellite maps, GPS and constant government surveillance of the most
    mundane activities on land, it seems peculiar that a 295-foot-long ocean vessel could disappear
    in the North Atlantic while still afloat. But maritime officials in Ireland and Scotland say they
    haven't heard from the Lyubov Orlova since March of last year, when an emergency signal
    from the ship placed it about 700 miles off the coast of County Kerry, Ireland. The ship itself
    was spotted by radar operators not long after, but search pilots sent to confirm the location couldn't find it.

Ever since, the rat ship has been missing at sea.

It may still be afloat, the Independent reports today, because its lifeboats are equipped
    with distress signals that only transmit when they hit water—only two of the lifeboats' transmitters
    have been heard, probably after those rafts were shaken loose as the Lyubov Orlova is continually
    tossed by North Atlantic storms. It has already traveled two-thirds of the way to the British Isles.

If the ship is spotted before a big storm slams it against the populated coastline, scrap haulers or the
    closest Coast Guard crews will have to board the awful vessel.

"There will be a lot of rats and they eat each other," a Belgian scrap sailor told The Sun.
    "If I get aboard I'll have to lace everywhere with poison."

There may be no chance to get aboard, because the 4,251-ton ship full of rats could suddenly be pushed
    ashore in a winter storm. Once the rats make landfall, they will be very, very hungry for something besides
    the raw flesh of their comrades at sea.

Glue traps y/n

Deleted
    Perfect chance for the British Government to sue the Canadian one and get some decent money out of it.

Because it sounds like that's exactly in the planned Oceanic nature reserves Britain was drawing up.

This sounds fun. Another plague on Europe.

But why not sink it in the middle of the Atlantic? Surely the rats can't swim that far.

That's not terrifying at all.

This old nonsense again.

EDIT: not "again", this article is one from 2014. "1/23/14 2:04pm"
    Last edited by THEORACLE64; 2016-01-30 at 11:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not terrifying, largely because its more or less not true.

Go go tabloids.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    That's....pretty fucking brutal. I mean, ghost shit filled with diseased, cannibalistic rat (mutants?) ? Yup, metal as fuck.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Perfect chance for the British Government to sue the Canadian one and get some decent money out of it.

Because it sounds like that's exactly in the planned Oceanic nature reserves Britain was drawing up.
    Wouldn't suing a fellow Commonwealth country be kind of redundant?

Deleted
    sooo no one else got stockers dracula vibe to it?

Oh theres also at least one lovercraft story about that kind of ghostship.

//world is full of wrecks and sailing wrecks, nothing special, even with the rats. Scary as fuck on note, but nothing special

10+ Year Old Account
    couldnt you just, iunno sink it?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    couldnt you just, iunno sink it?
    It likely already sunk years ago.

However if it didn't, once it's out of international waters, they'll either resalvage it or scuttle it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The rumours were made in 2014. Ship 99.99% sank in early 2013.
    Now we are in 2016, and this is still ongoing? Yay, tabloids...

10+ Year Old Account
    Glue traps? Fucking, I'll use tar if it means that I can get a whole ship to sell off as scrap... or scavange, ships make good home properties after they have been put out of use.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack Flash View Post
    Wouldn't suing a fellow Commonwealth country be kind of redundant?
    That's not what Commonwealth means....

Deleted
    Wait, is this a thing? Do people actually send abandoned but still floating boats away on the sea instead of scuttling them away from the shore?

Holy crap! And just how many of these "ghost ships" are floating out there?

Deleted
    I thought this was an immigration thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I thought this was an immigration thread.
    It's symbolism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Speshil View Post
    Pics of Ratship or it did not happened.
    Posts a boat of immigrants.
    Gets banned.

Deleted
    if it was a threat to the British isle, then the navy would not have a problem with sinking it as target practice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    if it was a threat to the British isle, then the navy would not have a problem with sinking it as target practice.
    Apparently Canada had a problem with sending a couple of scuba divers to set explosives on its bottom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally a chance to see these giant rat men up close and come to terms with the empire they will create on our shores! All hail our new overlords!!!
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance