Poll: Clone the Irish elk and then what?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Clone the Irish Elk/Giant Deer?

The largest deer that ever existed, it had antlers that could reach twelve feet long. It was a successful species that lived across Eurasia and was notable for it's extinction on Ireland, although it held on for hundreds of years more in Scotland, England, Wales and the Isle of Man. The Irish Elk wasn't particularly exclusive to Ireland and it wasn't an elk as it's closest surviving relative is the fallow deer.

So, let's say South Korean geneticists acquire largely intact giant deer cells and what would/should they do with it if they could make a sustainable albeit a low genetic diverse population? This is purely hypothetical, since we usually don't talk about other animals that have a likelihood of being cloned/hybridized like the Irish elk, woolly rhinoceros, cave lion, thylacine or wild horse.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2016-01-31 at 03:10 AM.

I've never seen any issue with cloning, or bringing back extinct animals, other then one key point;

Can they survive? They went extinct for a reason. If it was due to a collapse in their food chain, a change in the environment or something natural then it's probably not worth bringing them back considering the odds will be stacked against them straight away.

If it was us, as in we hunted it to extinction then even more reason to bring it back, but to ensure it's also brought back safely and that cloning and such doesn't lead to a boom in the black market.

I had a feeling it was you.

We have better things to spend time on that giant elk. As much as I like the idea, there's no point in restoring anything when we can barely keep already alive species alive, and some very important ones. We should focus on them.

Also, animals that go extinct for natural reasons are extinct for those reasons, there's no point in bringing them back if they can't live outside of captivity.

Shit, my autism got me on the poll...

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    The largest deer that ever existed, it had antlers that could reach twelve feet long. It was a successful species that lived across Eurasia and was notable for it's extinction on Ireland, although it held on for hundreds of years more in Scotland, England, Wales and the Island of Man. The Irish Elk
    Island of Man? We call it Isle of Man or Ellan Vannin m8. That said there's a restored skeleton in my local museum and the thing is massive. Not sure I'd like them wandering around the place again not to mention trophy hunters would just make them extinct again even if they could be successfully cloned.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephre View Post
    Island of Man? We call it Isle of Man or Ellan Vannin m8. That said there's a restored skeleton in my local museum and the thing is massive. Not sure I'd like them wandering around the place again not to mention trophy hunters would just make them extinct again even if they could be successfully cloned.
    I meant to put Isle. Dammit, I am a mental case tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post

We have better things to spend time on that giant elk. As much as I like the idea, there's no point in restoring anything when we can barely keep already alive species alive, and some very important ones. We should focus on them.

Also, animals that go extinct for natural reasons are extinct for those reasons, there's no point in bringing them back if they can't live outside of captivity.
    I don't know if Irish elk served a major ecological role like mammoths did and whether that role is even really needed like predators such as wolves in any ecosystem.

You bring up valid points.

Also, the I messaged Jester Joe about fixing my poll... Hopefully it gets fixed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where would they go? We aren't going to want them in the British Isles, we're full.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Where would they go? We aren't going to want them in the British Isles, we're full.
    I don't know...

They did survive pretty long in Siberia...

Deleted
    ill have one as a pet and/or mode of transport

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelDamage View Post
    ill have one as a pet and/or mode of transport

This extinct was successful?

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    This extinct was successful?
    Fairly successful, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Was thinking the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Was thinking the same.
    Btw, does that statement carry positive or negative implications?