Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

The scale of Strom'kar, what's missing from the Arms artifact weapon

There've been a number of complaints regarding the Arms artifact weapon, here are my thoughts regarding the issue on Alpha for those of you not currently enjoying forum access.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...74499?page=1#0

Since I know many of you don't have access to the Alpha, here are screenshots of the artifacts in game, as I think they they look better than some of the WoWhead preview versions.

the Warbreaker
    Vengeance of the Fallen
    Flame Reaper
    Wrath's Edge

Here is a comparison to the Fury artifact weapon.

Here is a rough comparison to Greatsword of the Inferno.

HUGE DISCLAIMER
    I know it's inevitable, but please try to refrain from needlessly commenting on whether or not you like the design of the weapons. Asthetics are something that is entirely personal. Some people don't like swords, some people like pointed edges over blunt, some people don't like skulls, the list goes on. This thread is specifically intended to discuss modifying the weapon without completely redesigning it.

Followup
    If you don't agree, what do you think would help define the Arms artifact, to better differentiate it from being "just another two-handed sword"?

It's already too big as-is. We don't need any stupid FF7 bullshit where your sword is 10x your characer.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Deleted
    It's fine as it is. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better.

Bloodsail Admiral melkesjokolade's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I dont see the problem here

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    It's already too big as-is. We don't need any stupid FF7 bullshit where your sword is 10x your characer.
    If you read the thread, I specifically mentioned that isn't the intent, but thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    - snip -
    I know it's inevitable, but please try to refrain from needlessly commenting on whether or not you like the design of the weapons. Asthetics are something that is entirely personal. Some people don't like swords, some people like pointed edges over blunt, some people don't like skulls, the list goes on. This thread is specifically intended to discuss modifying the weapon without completely redesigning it.
    If you read the thread, I specifically mentioned that isn't the intent, but thanks for your input.
    Your post is contradictory. You ask for people to not needlessly comment about re-designing the weapon, but then chastise people who suggest modifying it. Pick one

Saying that it is to big is suggesting that it be modified without a re-design.

Quote Originally Posted by babalou1 View Post
    Your post is contradictory. You ask for people to not comment about re-designing the weapon, but then chastise people who suggest modifying it. Pick one

Saying that it is to big is suggesting that it be modified without a redesign.
    Is it? Perhaps it wasn't the best wording, but I think the point was clear; changing the scale is different, and can be much easier than coming up with completely new artwork.

I didn't chastise him for saying he didn't agree. In the post I specifically stated that I wasn't recommending an obscenely oversized weapon;
    Quote Originally Posted by OP
    To be clear, I'm not suggesting a ridiculously obscene weapon. I don't want to see Gnomes swinging around Taurens
    which I believe covers "...stupid bullshit wher your sword is 10x your character.".

Deleted
    I agree I think weapon for arms should be slightly bigger. Arms is the master of weapons, means they value weapon and strength above all. And yes I would like to see a few skins with pointy end cause of immersion. A sword without pointy end means you can only slash with it which is not realistic for the master of swords.

You were crying about how Fury's swords are comparable in size. Then you told people "refrain from needlessly commenting on whether or not you like the design of the weapons." And lastly, your thread title specifically mentions scale.

So I commented on the scale of the Arms artifact. I thought it was unrealistically large (incidentally, I think most weapons/armor in WoW are far too large, even if they are amazing in design).

I read the thread. You're just mad I said it should be smaller, instead of larger like you want.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    You were crying about how Fury's swords are comparable in size. Then you told people "refrain from needlessly commenting on whether or not you like the design of the weapons." And lastly, your thread title specifically mentions scale.

So I commented on the scale of the Arms artifact. I thought it was unrealistically large (incidentally, I think most weapons/armor in WoW are far too large, even if they are amazing in design).

I read the thread. You're just mad I said it should be smaller, instead of larger like you want.
    Not upset at all. I'm asking for input, even if it's input that doesn't agree with me, after all, but you did ignore what I wrote.

If you don't agree with the size of WoW-weapons in the first place, obviously you're not going to want anything to be larger. My issue is that the Arms artifact doesn't have any defining characteristic which separates it from every other standard 2-handed sword in the game.

It's a matter of relativity. Even if all weapons in the game were shrunk down to better fit your standard, I still think that the Arms artifact should be bigger in scale, to better separate it from the rest of the weapons, and to keep with the theme of having been wielded by the Barbarian king, who was closer in size to the Vrykul than the standard player races today. Lore-wise I believe it makes sense.

Is it? Perhaps it wasn't the best wording, but I think the point was clear; changing the scale is different, and can be much easier than coming up with completely new artwork.

I didn't chastise him for saying he didn't agree. In the post I specifically stated that I wasn't recommending an obscenely oversized weapon;

"I don't want to see Gnomes swinging around Taurens".
    Im sorry, where does it say that in this post? Im not going to go thread hoping to read things that you didnt bother to post in THIS thread.

He said he didnt like swords 10x the size of the body and you called him out on not reading your post. This is MMO champ. If you wanted us to address your thoughts, you should have copy/pasted. Instead you posted a link to another thread you made and then disregarded peoples comments when they didnt read a thread on a completely different website.

Maybe it could be a bit bigger because you only wield one but it seems ok to me.

Quote Originally Posted by babalou1 View Post
    Im sorry, where does it say that in this post? Im not going to go thread hoping to read things that you didnt bother to post in THIS thread.

He said he didnt like swords 10x the size of the body and you called him out on not reading your post. This is MMO champ. If you wanted us to address your thoughts, you should have copy/pasted. Instead you posted a link to another thread you made and then disregarded peoples comments when they didnt read a thread on a completely different website.
    So your failure to read is my fault? If you're too lazy to read the post in its entirety to correctly establish intent, why do you feel the need to get involved in the first place? Heck, if you're too lazy to click a link, why would I believe you have the attention span to read through the entire OP to begin with, even if it were copy pasted? I didn't copy/paste because it would have required a needless amount of reformatting, when the link suffices. It's not like opening a new browser, or following the link and then pressing back to return to this post is especially taxing or complicated. I have about 8 tabs open in my browser right now, and I'm willing to bet most forum users do as well!

He said he didn't like swords 10x the size of the body. I replied that I specifically stated that was not the intent. I fail to see the problem.

Edit: And don't say things like "this is MMO-Champ" to imply that everyone is as lazy as you are. There's at least one new thread on the forums every day which links a news article, video, picture, or any number of website without feeling the need to copy/paste the information.

I also think its fine, the big weapon just look silly

Deleted
    People who are saying large swords are not realistic remember Andúril from Lotr? That sword was over 5 feet long. What I miss in wow is having weapons that look like proper sword, axe or mace. These days it is hard to say what kind of weapon it is just by looking at it.

Scaling of weapons as always been a issue mainly because the fact that every race/sex has a different size, so make it bigger for a number of them and then you risk making gnomes duel wielding dragons, make big enough for gnomes, and everyone else is wielding toothpicks, I am obviously going to exstreams but you get the point

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner45 View Post
    Scaling of weapons as always been a issue mainly because the fact that every race/sex has a different size, so make it bigger for a number of them and then you risk making gnomes duel wielding dragons, make big enough for gnomes, and everyone else is wielding toothpicks, I am obviously going to exstreams but you get the point
    This is true, though it's still a matter of relative size. The swords are the same size as typical 2-handed weapons whether you're a Gnome or a Tauren, so scaling them up would only make them larger in relation, but still constrained to the character model modifier. Obviously it's a matter of fine tuning, but it worked out well for Fury so I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for Arms.

This is also why I specifically suggested a slight scale adjustment. Nothing to the extent of the change Fury saw, which was fairly dramatic. I used the reference pictures to specifically suggest target points of already existing weapons, which aren't widely regarded as oversized, regardless of race, and are in fact among the most popular transmog options in the game.

slightly bigger would do the model justice imo, make it a little more impressive.
    or actually just add a tiny bit to the actual flat blade part.

other than that im very satisfied with it
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Another issue and I hope I am wrong, is the texture looks ugly when they upscale things, and blizzard doesn't tend to go back and fix things, the fury swords look bad now, because they are blurry, I rather have small swords that looks good, than a blurry sword that is big. But its not like blizzard can't fix it, its just that they seem not to care.

Should've been MU Gorehowl, I don't really care about the size.

If Doomhammer can be an artifact, why not Gorehowl? It even has no current owner afaik.