Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner45 View Post
    Another issue and I hope I am wrong, is the texture looks ugly when they upscale things, and blizzard doesn't tend to go back and fix things, the fury swords look bad now, because they are blurry, I rather have small swords that looks good, than a blurry sword that is big. But its not like blizzard can't fix it, its just that they seem not to care.
    Are you actually in the Alpha? I know this is a common complaint on these forums, but I personally don't think the Fury swords look as blurry or pixelated as feared. Here are a few comparison screenshots.

Fury
    Arms
    Prot

Obviously it's easier to spot imperfection in stills rather than a moving image, but I don't see a substantial difference. The only area I think Fury looks blurry is really around the grip, and that's generally covered anyways. I think it could use a little bit of sharpening along the interlacing filigree, but overall, it doesn't look significantly worse than the others.

- - - Updated - - -

Even better, here are a couple comparisons from WoWhead, which have much sharper coloring and a better background for comparison.

Old Fury

New Fury

In this comparison, again I really don't see any stretching. There is still a slight blurriness on the grip, though I think that's due to the design, as it's present on the old version as well, it's just less noticeable due to the shorter size.

In fact, now that I look for it, that blurriness on the grip is present in a lot of weapons; probably by design, as it's intended to be covered by the hands.

If we can't redesign the weapon, then each model could use some more visual flare added to them. Granted I can't see what they look like in game because I don't have alpha, but each of them don't seem to have very many effects that would make them pop out.

Warbreaker just has sloshing fluid in the crystal? Is that it? I think I'd like to be able to tell what weapon a warrior is using just be seeing it swung around and when it hits things.
    Last edited by Sammonoske; 2016-01-31 at 06:25 AM.

mmm I think it's big enough. different versions can be various sizes but I don't like those obnoxiously big weapons.

10+ Year Old Account
    If what you're suggesting is they go the route of the Sword of Inferno, you are crazy. The weapon looks fine the way it is in terms of scale. It's perfectly in line with how a 2h should be. Sword of the Inferno is Final Fantasy proportions, which is ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    If what you're suggesting is they go the route of the Sword of Inferno, you are crazy. The weapon looks fine the way it is in terms of scale. It's perfectly in line with how a 2h should be. Sword of the Inferno is Final Fantasy proportions, which is ugly.
    Crazy is a strong word. How much scale is up for debate, I don't think it needs to be excessive, but I think the fact that it is perfectly in line with a standard 2h weapon is precisely the problem. It's not supposed to be a standard 2h weapon.

The weapon has no hook, no legendary quality to separate it from others. Even the Fury swords are in fact bigger. It's supposed to be a pinnacle of martial weaponry, yet is indistinguishable from a trash drop in Throne of Thunder. It's explicitly stated that it was crafted by the Vrykul and used by the Barbarian king, both of which are significantly larger than typical player races.

The thing is, if there's a case to make the arms 2her bigger, then there's a case to make every artifact 2her bigger, (the vrykul argument aside, once one class gets a big epic 2her, I can guarantee you that DKs and Rets would cry foul) so you (the general you, not Archim specifically) automatically give up some of that individuality you were looking for right off the bat. I don't think there's any point comparing to the challenge mode transmog since that is an elite level model, whereas every arms warrior is going to have access to Stromkar. (and besides which, the size of that challenge mode mog is frankly silly.)

You said you don't want to talk about style, but in my opinion that is actually the core issue with Stromkar; when it comes to a weapon like Ashbringer, Blizzard had a very defined look to draw from, but Stromkar was an entirely clean slate, and the result of that is a series of mostly disparate designs that lack a central defining or recognizable theme, whether you like those designs or not. Comparing the current designs of Stromkar, they're so wildly different as to be hardly connected, whereas if you see any of the Ashbringer designs, that is always Ashbringer. I'd say that even the DK 2hers have a stronger unifying theme.

In sum, sure you could make them a bit bigger i guess, but i don't think that size is the real problem.
    Last edited by Qoma; 2016-01-31 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    Are you actually in the Alpha? I know this is a common complaint on these forums, but I personally don't think the Fury swords look as blurry or pixelated as feared. Here are a few comparison screenshots.

Fury
    Arms
    Prot

Obviously it's easier to spot imperfection in stills rather than a moving image, but I don't see a substantial difference. The only area I think Fury looks blurry is really around the grip, and that's generally covered anyways. I think it could use a little bit of sharpening along the interlacing filigree, but overall, it doesn't look significantly worse than the others.

- - - Updated - - -

Even better, here are a couple comparisons from WoWhead, which have much sharper coloring and a better background for comparison.

Old Fury

New Fury

In this comparison, again I really don't see any stretching. There is still a slight blurriness on the grip, though I think that's due to the design, as it's present on the old version as well, it's just less noticeable due to the shorter size.

In fact, now that I look for it, that blurriness on the grip is present in a lot of weapons; probably by design, as it's intended to be covered by the hands.
    Oh i see what you are saying it does, look better, like I see, if blizzard actually take the time to do it it comes out nice. then its just size for me then, I play a female nelf, and alot of times I feel my weapons are too small or too big, the fury ones, I feel are too big now, while the arms one feels more right.

Quote Originally Posted by Qoma View Post
    The thing is, if there's a case to make the arms 2her bigger, then there's a case to make every artifact 2her bigger, (the vrykul argument aside, once one class gets a big epic 2her, I can guarantee you that DKs and Rets would cry foul) so you automatically give up some of that individuality you were looking for right off the bat. I don't think there's any point comparing to the challenge mode transmog since that is an elite level model, whereas every arms warrior is going to have access to Stromkar. (and besides which, the size of that challenge mode mog is frankly silly.)

You said you don't want to talk about style, but in my opinion that is actually the core issue with Stromkar; when it comes to a weapon like Ashbringer, Blizzard had a very defined look to draw from, but Stromkar was an entirely clean slate, and the result of that is a series of mostly disparate designs that lack a central defining or recognizable theme, whether you like those designs or not. Comparing the current designs of Stromkar, they're so wildly different as to be hardly connected, whereas if you see any of the Ashbringer designs, that is always Ashbringer. I'd say that even the DK 2hers have a stronger unifying theme.

In sum, sure you could make them a bit bigger i guess, but i don't think that size is the real problem.
    Perhaps. The core of the problem I find is that there's no hook to it, no legendary quality which makes the weapon stand out from any other 2h weapon.

Ashbringer is obviously iconic, I don't think we need to cover that.
    Apocalypse has a ridiculous amount of iconography to draw from, and the most unique variants by far.
    The Warswords have no specific draw, but (subjectively) better particle effects, the colored fire on the blades of it's base model look good. Fury also remains the only spec which dual-wields 2h-weapons, giving it an unquestionably unique look.

Arms doesn't have anything. Since we're talking about design (in a civil tone), I don't think the blades look bad, and some do have some reference to existing Warrior gear, the Wrath Blade in particular. That said, I think a big difference between Strom'kar, Ashbringer and Apocalypse is that all the Strom'kar swords look like standard swords. Apocalypse in particular has some wildly unique skins (I especially like the Crescent blade and the Spine with flies).

I'm not sure there's much they can do without making completely new skins though. Even then, there's no unifying iconography for Warriors the way there is for Paladins or Death Knights. They could improve the particle effects, but the sword itself will still look like a standard 2-handed sword. There are already complaints flying around that they're too similar to various weapons out of ToT and BRM. I was looking for a solution that didn't involve completely redesigning art assets, as the chances of that are usually minuscule.

There are arguments against large-scale weapons, and that's fine, maybe it isn't the best way to go. But it's hard to deny that in fantasy Warrior generally equates to large weaponry. It's one of the few ways to easily define a class that uses strength rather than magical empowerment.

Deleted
    As a arms warrior I don't complain at all ( from the different streams I have seen so far) it looks good - also the size of it, and I like most of the different versions, and it is really alot about personal preferences. And if someone don't like the look at all, they can just transmog it. Everyone wins.

the fury ones, I feel are too big now, while the arms one feels more right.
    Interesting you say that. The base Fury swords are about the same width and only slightly shorter than the Arms sword, though if you look at the alternate skins, they are actually significantly larger than either.

Base
    Skin
    Skin2
    Skin3

Obviously you have a choice of which to use, so perhaps that's a good compromise, and Arms could add a couple of skins that are larger, rather than upscale all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    Interesting you say that. The base Fury swords are about the same width and only slightly shorter than the Arms sword, though if you look at the alternate skins, they are actually significantly larger than either.

Base
    Skin
    Skin2
    Skin3

Obviously you have a choice of which to use, so perhaps that's a good compromise, and Arms could add a couple of skins that are larger, rather than upscale all of them?
    thats probably the best way too do it, and as for the fury swords its more that they look fat, like the one off archie is bigger but is also more thinner, so to me its less silly.

thats probably the best way too do it, and as for the fury swords its more that they look fat, like the one off archie is bigger but is also more thinner, so to me its less silly.
    True. I actually like the idea of the Fury swords being shorter. Obviously I didn't want them so small as to be 1h weapons again, but the shorter blades evoke a feeling of getting nice and close to the enemy before carving them up.

Arms I think benefits from the longer, fatter blades, it's theme revolving around crushing the enemy with something big and heavy. This is again the reason I suggest upscaling them slightly, to give them a sense of weight greater than that of typical weapons, not to make them obscene.

Deleted
    I agree. Warrior weapon should be bigger, it doesn't necessarily mean longer weapons, but perhaps heavier, massive. I think best example are mighty weapons from diablo 3 ( with one exception for fury weapons must "sheath on back" )

Deleted
    I'm a fan of oversized weapons soooo... BIGGER

Deleted
    Blade could be bigger overall bigger both in length and ?broadness? But wasn't blade forged for the human king? So that would explain why it's not really weapon sized for Vrykuls. Swing speed would be also one factor how "heavy" the sword would feel, but then again.. you don't really track auto attacks in basic gameplay but could be a neat change.

Quote Originally Posted by Irlking View Post
    I would like to see a few skins with pointy end cause of immersion. A sword without pointy end means you can only slash with it which is not realistic for the master of swords.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irlking View Post
    What I miss in wow is having weapons that look like proper sword, axe or mace. These days it is hard to say what kind of weapon it is just by looking at it.
    This is my issue with a lot of the sword Arfitacts models, that they have a blunt end and don't look very sharp. They look more like some weird sword-mace hybrid. Arms and Unholy swords are the biggest offenders, almost none of the variants look like actual swords.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CthulhuFhtagn View Post
    This is my issue with a lot of the sword Arfitacts models, that they have a blunt end and don't look very sharp. They look more like some weird sword-mace hybrid. Arms and Unholy swords are the biggest offenders, almost none of the variants look like actual swords.
    Also agreed, I don't actually like a single Arms or Fury skins at present and the fact they look like blunt sword-mace hybrids is one of the most prominent reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    It's already too big as-is. We don't need any stupid FF7 bullshit where your sword is 10x your characer.
    So many would disagree with you. There's a reason why weapons like Ashkandi and the Rank 14 alliance weapon are beloved. Size has a lot to do with it. We don't need anything as ugly as the CM sword but large is fitting for a spec like arms. WoW has always been about over the top armor and weapons. Granted that changed slightly awhile back and they started making many weapons baby size but still.

My problem is only that Blizzard prefers to make the 2-handed weapons more like really thick 1,5-h Broadswords instead of longer, elegant 2-h Longswords. The proportions just don't fit and they look so cumbersome.

That's why I prefer swords like Cataclysm's Edge (both TBC and WoD) that are clearly 2-handers from their length but not so extremely thick like other swords.

That's why I also really dislike the Fury Artifacts apart from their overall design. (Better now, though.)

Or...just go full anime-style with extremely huge weapons

PS: And yes, Arms Artifact should be longer - without increasing its width (rather decrease it).
    Last edited by chooi; 2016-01-31 at 03:49 PM.
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

either make it bigger or give us a lore related weapon.