10+ Year Old Account

Question [Holy]How do I optimize usage of the legendary ring?

Hey guys,

I recently obtained the legendary healing ring on my awesome Dwarf Paladin.

I am struggling what is the best way to use it;
    • Do I just macro it to some ability and use it whenever it's up?
    • Do I treat it as a cooldown, whenever the raid is in dire need of healing?
    • Do I use it combined with other cooldowns, such as Wings or Devo?
    • Do I use it to complement another cooldown, such as Tranq or Spirit Link?
    • Is it best used to prevent damage, so I use it to preshield the raid whenever I expect large raidwide damage incoming? (Such as the shackles on Archimonde)
    • Is it best used to recover after a large damage fase?
    • Another way to use it?

Some input would be greatly appreciated!
    Warlock (SL main)

Quote Originally Posted by Thundertom View Post
    [*]Do I just macro it to some ability and use it whenever it's up?
    Nope, there are a lot of times where it would be wasted that way.

It depends on the fight, Blackhand is a perfect example for ring usage. You can use it on the demolition before the change of phase so the extra healing will prevent the raid to die from the demo damage and the shield will help you will the damage from the change of phase.

On Archi you may wanna use it on the chains before the Allure, because people tend to eat fire damage so the shield will help you there, but honestly there isn't really a lot of damage on Archi before P4 so use the ring in case of emergency, just try to have it up before 25% because that's when the damage starts to increase.

While i like it to combo it with other Cds, it usually ends up in overhealing so honestly i think it's better to just save it as an extra CD for emergencies where you know you're going to take a lot of damage and there are no CDs up.
    sunshine avatar is so awesome *w*!.... <3
    http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7494/chopperoo.jpg
    (Sig too large)

Sit and wait for a monk or shaman to macro it into rev/tide? I wouldnt personally focus TOO much attention into min/maxing your ring shields as a holy paladin, its not much of our overall healing at the end of a fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    I fiddled around a bit last night, and it seems a bit underwhelming as a cooldown to use. I didn't notice the healing increase all that much during heavy damage fases (such as the infernals on the last bit of Archimonde), but I guess it all adds up. I suppose it would be stronger for druids or other stronger aoe healing classes.
    Warlock (SL main)

Deleted
    What do you mean by optimal usage? Are you talking about the padding meters?

If not: Treat it as an additional Raid Cooldown and do not combine it with any other cooldowns, because that usually is an overkill. But you will very often find yourself combining it with AW anyways.

It is right now the strongest healing CD in the game when the ring has a proper itemlevel. And X percent is X percent, no matter for which class. But there is always the constraint of "you cant heal more than you have incoming damage" so its mostly useless because you can meet that requirement even without the ring most of the times. In that sense, it will only be an amplifier for those classes who are already quick. Say a Disc priest has the quickest heal of all and it will amplify his shields by another 40% results in tzhat any other healing class will just heal less in the time the ring is used.

I think optimal usage of the ring is for a wrought of chaos on archimonde mythic. You heal 2 ticks of raid damage into the rings effect and completely absorb the 3rd of it with the rings shield.
    Another example might be Iron Reaver, where you heal against artilleries and provide the shield for the Pounding after that. But this is also a good example for abilities that aren't strong enough for the ring to be required. You could easily heal it without the ring.
    Last edited by mmoc3c639dd81a; 2016-02-01 at 11:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixthumbs View Post
    What do you mean by optimal usage? Are you talking about the padding meters?
    No, I just wanna make sure I understand the use of the ring, and see how people like yourself use it, as you are 13/13M I greatly value your opinion. I'm a simple 13/13H guy (I don't mind tho, 13/13H was my expansion goal, so I'm pleased nonetheless) but it doesn't mean I wanna improve my playstyle.

What I'm getting from your post is that it's best to use whenever the damage is already incoming, and you expect more to come after. Use the initial healing burst to heal people up, and let the shield do some extra work after.
    Warlock (SL main)