Thread: Judge my build

Judge my build

I'm looking to buy a new computer since my old one died on me.

Firstly, the basics of what I'm looking for. 1440p gaming with a good (60+) FPS even on the latest games, with good cooling. No 4k, I'm not willing to go there until we get GPUs that can actually run 4k games.

Money isn't a big issue, though I'm not exactly looking forward to paying over $3,5k.

I have all neccessary peripherals, so no need for any of those.

Code:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/km8z23
    That's what I've been eyeing on for now, I hope the link works.

I tried to do my due diligence by looking up quite a bit of information about parts, but eventually there comes a time when you have to ask your betters for help.

I have just a few questions about my previously-linked build that I need answers to. Any and all other input is welcome, too.

Such as, exactly how many fans can you stuff inside a Corsair 760T case, and how many do I realistically need? Should I go with Stock fans or something else, like the Antec TrueQuiets? (I do love a quiet computer.) And is the trade-off in cooling between "normal" and "quiet" fans exceptionally large?

Then comes the question of my GPU of choice, 980TI EVGA Hybrid version (well, two of them).

Is the hybrid cooling worth the extra bucks, and can I fit two of them inside my case easily and without any serious hassle? The extra radiator+fan combo looks like it takes a lot of space, so I'm wondering if the laws of nature don't impede my plans.

Lastly, about the new Samsung 950 M.2 SSD; Since it's a new and wildly different form of storage, does it have any serious stability problems and the like? Or might I be better off going with an older type of SSD, such as the 850 EVO? Slow but steady, as it were.

Oh and since I chose the 950 M.2 for my SSD, I get a "The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA Express port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA Express port is disabled." notification in Parts picker. Is it going to be an issue for me?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why don't you go X99 with your budget?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($384.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($308.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($139.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($328.00 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($196.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($689.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB HYBRID Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($689.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair 760T Black ATX Full Tower Case ($169.00 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($164.50 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.78 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($124.78 @ B&H)
    Total: $3289.90
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-31 11:43 EST-0500

And while we're at it, why do you even need 2 980Ti's for 1440p? If the point is going with the strongest setup possible to be sure that it'll last you long, I'd suggest going with AMD instead due to dx12 support reasons:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($384.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH X99 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($308.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($139.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($328.00 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($196.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury 4GB Tri-X Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($511.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury 4GB Tri-X Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($511.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 760T Black ATX Full Tower Case ($169.00 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($164.50 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.78 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($124.78 @ B&H)
    Total: $2933.90
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-31 11:54 EST-0500

Could change this for Fury Xs but I'd rather stick with air coolers personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    Why don't you go X99 with your budget?

<snip>

And while we're at it, why do you even need 2 980Ti's for 1440p? If the point is going with the strongest setup possible to be sure that it'll last you long, I'd suggest going with AMD instead due to dx12 support reasons:
    Because I was under the assumption that the new Skylakes would perform better than the x99 haswells/wellsburgs.

As for the DirectX12 support issues, I wasn't aware there were any. I'll have to read about that.
    Last edited by Fatali; 2016-01-31 at 05:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatali View Post
    Because I was under the assumption that the new Skylakes would perform better than the x99 haswells/wellsburgs.

As for the DirectX12 support issues, I wasn't aware there were any. I'll have to read about that.
    Nah, they perform exactly the same for games given comparable OCs and with Dx12/Vulkan coming soon we might see CPUs with 6~8 cores giving substantial extra performance. They already do at multithreaded games like Cities Skyline. If you're putting this much money at a build, I'd go X99.

980Ti is an exceptional card, but lacks asynchronous compute at the hardware level. Which is one of the main features of DX12 and Vulkan.

980Ti is an exceptional card, but lacks asynchronous compute at the hardware level. Which is one of the main features of DX12 and Vulkan.
    There was some new news recently about this in a dev blog.... urgh, i forget which. Should have bookmarked it. Its a game i follow on my Flipboard gaming feed, ill see if its still there. (Unreal 4, maybe? I think it was a Ryan Gordon post..)

Anyway, while it lacks the asynchronous compute support fully, their "emulated"/"through the driver" solution is still going to be run on the GPU, not the CPU, so a card like a 980Ti, which outpaces its AMD rival pretty significantly, may be able to "brute force" through asynch support with the extra muscle it has and still provide comparable performance. This still means you need a more powerful nVidia card than the equivalent AMD for the same performance, but it offers some decent potentia to people with higher-end nVidia cards not being left completely in the cold.

Still not a perfect solution, but if you're buying RIGHT NAO and cant wait for Pascal/Polaris to launch (both of which offer full DX12 support), the 980Ti will still be a contender for quite a while.

You dont need SLI 980Ti's for 1440p though. That's a tad bit of overkill.

10+ Year Old Account
    In fact the default 980Ti is worse than the Fury X, only the OC'd ones can perform better.

In fact the default 980Ti is worse than the Fury X, only the OC'd ones can perform better.
    You're seeing benchmarks from an alternate reality than me, then, because the Fury X is about 15% behind the 980Ti in every benchmark i can find. As for "the default 980Ti" - thats a moot argument, as every manufacturer has stock OCed them.. unless you, for some reason (complete insanity?) buy the referrence design.

Fury X is also quite simply incompatible with some cases, particularly anything in a smaller form factor, because of the mandatory water block.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2016-01-31 at 10:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    You're seeing benchmarks from an alternate reality than me, then, because the Fury X is about 15% behind the 980Ti in every benchmark i can find. As for "the default 980Ti" - thats a moot argument, as every manufacturer has stock OCed them.. unless you, for some reason (complete insanity?) buy the referrence design.

Fury X is also quite simply incompatible with some cases, particularly anything in a smaller form factor, because of the mandatory water block.
    https://tpucdn.com/reviews/Sapphire/..._3840_2160.png

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I'd just wait for the GPU quite honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Personally I'd just wait for the GPU quite honestly.
    I would too. If i were building right this second, i'd probably slap a GTX 950 in the rig, call it good until Polaris/Pascal, sell that 950 for whatever i can get for it, and spring on a new GPU when they become available.

- - - Updated - - -

link to generic "overall performance" graph that doesn't have any real-world benchmarks.

Compelling.

Lets try this (first three results, all of which fall after the recent driver updates):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wNtJ_JXc3I - 10% behind, or better.
    http://wccftech.com/amd-r9-fury-x-pe...atest-drivers/ - 16% behind
    http://www.babeltechreviews.com/the-...-redux-no-3/4/ - 10+% behind.

Huh.

Again, sure, faster than the stock clocked 980Ti, which precisely zero people actually buy. Hell, i cant even find one for sale anywhere near me. I'd have to go out of my way to even order one on NewEgg or similar - all the results that show up are factory OCed.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can look at the individual results yourself Kag, Jan 22nd.

And yes, waiting for the new ones is the best option.

15+ Year Old Account
    @Kagthul and Artorius:

Guys this is not necessary, both cards have merits and whilst with the newest drivers the Fury X is equal to SLIGHTLY faster vs. stock/light OC models of the GTX 980Ti it is not worth mentioning the difference.
    Yes Kagthul is noting that the Fury/Fury X is further behind than it really is but it's not worth arguing and cluttering up a thread over.

Bring in valid reasons for choosing 1 side over another and the rated speed isn't a difference worth mentioning currently.

Also ASK the OP whether he has ANY intention of overclocking the GPUs or just run as is as that can determine a lot of things instantly as well.
    Not to mention asking him what he intends to play specifically instead of assuming.

Arguing - Not worth it.
    Informing - Entirely worth it.