5) A knight's tale
    6) Moulin Rouge
    7) Pirates of the caribbean
    8) Sons of men
    9) Van Helsing
    10) Every damn film of Miyazaki
    Interesting calendar that you use.

- - - Updated - - -

Added Hunt for the Wilderpeople. The Jungle Book has moved out of the top ten list.

Quote Originally Posted by draggedintosunlight View Post
    Civil War
    Rogue One
    Nice Guys
    Hunt for the Wilderpeople
    The Shallows
    Arrival
    Hell or High Water
    10 Cloverfield Lane
    Hacksaw Ridge
    Star Trek
    I just realized I'm not 100% sure which is your #1, Civil War or Star Trek. I assumed Civil War and that it then went down from there, but now I have doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by draggedintosunlight View Post
    Nice Guys
    The Shallows
    10 Cloverfield Lane
    Wanted to see those, was The Shallows the Blake Lively butt movie in the ocean? Of these, i'd feel only The Nice Guys could potentially crack my top 10 for the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Added Manchester by the Sea. Warcraft has moved out of the top ten list.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I saw 10 films in 2016. I guess my list would be:

1. WarCraft
    2. Captain America: Civil War
    3. Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice Ultimate Edition (I never saw the theatrical cut)
    4. Scientism Exposed
    5. Star Trek Beyond
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2017-01-22 at 01:32 AM.

Added Train to Busan in the number 2 spot, everything but Civil War moves down a spot and X-Men Apoc is knocked off the list.

Gave another viewing of Moonlight. Masterful.

It might be the most beautiful film of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Gave another viewing of Moonlight. Masterful.

It might be the most beautiful film of the year.
    Think it might be my personal least favorite of the Best Picture nominated movies this year actually (haven't seen Hidden Figures yet though).

What type of beauty are you specifically referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Think it might be my personal least favorite of the Best Picture nominated movies this year actually (haven't seen Hidden Figures yet though).

What type of beauty are you specifically referring to?
    Narrative and cinematography.

The narrative is graceful and elegant; delivered with excellence. Cinematography is very good too- on second viewing I focused more on the use of color, film saturation and the contrasting camera styles used to indicate internal emotions.

For example, the scene where Chiron is learning to swim has the camera in-hand at the level of the water. The colors are vivid; green, purple, bright blue. When Chiron gets it the camera lifts from the water level and in the scene transition the same colors become muted. As Jenkins focuses on the particular quality of water on black skin as Juan tells Chiron about growing up in Cuba. The colors now are white, dark blue and an iridescent purple- "In moonlight black boys look blue."

That's really good filmmaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Narrative and cinematography.

The narrative is graceful and elegant; delivered with excellence. Cinematography is very good too- on second viewing I focused more on the use of color, film saturation and the contrasting camera styles used to indicate internal emotions.

For example, the scene where Chiron is learning to swim has the camera in-hand at the level of the water. The colors are vivid; green, purple, bright blue. When Chiron gets it the camera lifts from the water level and in the scene transition the same colors become muted. As Jenkins focuses on the particular quality of water on black skin as Juan tells Chiron about growing up in Cuba. The colors now are white, dark blue and an iridescent purple- "In moonlight black boys look blue."

That's really good filmmaking.
    Seems to be one of the most popular scenes from the movie too, almost everybody uses the still-image of Mahershala Ali holding Chiron in the water when they talk about the movie.

The first movie that came to my mind when talking about beautiful was La La Land, cinematography-wise. Narrative-wise... maybe Manchester by the Sea.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2017-01-29 at 06:40 PM.

I need to get into the practice of re-watching my top 3-5 at the end of the year, to see if they hold up. As of now, Hardcore Henry is my #2, but I've only seen it the one time, while I've seen Deadpool probably 12-15 times across 4-5 different types of media. I think it'd be more of a settling in between the 2-5s on my list.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I need to get into the practice of re-watching my top 3-5 at the end of the year, to see if they hold up. As of now, Hardcore Henry is my #2, but I've only seen it the one time, while I've seen Deadpool probably 12-15 times across 4-5 different types of media. I think it'd be more of a settling in between the 2-5s on my list.
    I do need to rewatch Deadpool.

- - - Updated - - -

Moved some things around on my list.

I do need to rewatch Deadpool.
    I should too, I suppose. Haven't seen it since I went to the theater for it, but it just...doesn't call to me. I guess because, while it's a good adaptation of the character...I don't actually like the character's whole schtick all the much.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I should too, I suppose. Haven't seen it since I went to the theater for it, but it just...doesn't call to me. I guess because, while it's a good adaptation of the character...I don't actually like the character's whole schtick all the much.
    I really enjoyed it because I found it quite funny in an unique way (partially because of all the meta-humor), and I also found it quite well written. The romance and villain worked well for me too.

Just saw it again, and moved it a spot down (or pulled Zootopia one spot up). Having also recently rewatched Zootopia, I really appreciated some of the more subtle ways they used the racial discrimination theme.

Still struggling a bit with how to rank Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and Kubo and the Two Strings. All great adventure movies, yet all also pretty different.

I really enjoyed it because I found it quite funny in an unique way (partially because of all the meta-humor), and I also found it quite well written. The romance and villain worked well for me too.
    Not a big fan of the Deadpool style of humor in either the comics or the movie(I liked him a lot more before he became so meta). The romance was fine, though I had no vested interest in the characters so it didn't really matter to me. And the villain was pretty bland, unfortunately(a recurring theme for comic movies, and not just the MCU unfortunately).

Added Moana. 10 Cloverfield Lane has moved out of the top ten list.

Compiling lists now.

- - - Updated - - -

Done! That was interesting.

Wasn't that sure about what would be up there, I expected Deadpool and Civil War (one point difference, ha) and Rogue One, since those are the big movies a lot of people would have seen, but was surprised by how many had Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Captain Fantastic and The Nice Guys on their lists.

The reason I wasn't sure was because I felt like there wasn't a ton of overlap, which there wasn't, relatively speaking. On those 11 lists, 48 different movies were mentioned.

The combined forces of Arctagon and Fences got Nocturnal Animals into the list, making it beat out Star Trek Beyond and Doctor Strange by a single point for the last spot.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2017-02-01 at 09:41 PM.

Added Moana. 10 Cloverfield Lane has moved out of the top ten list.

Compiling lists now.

- - - Updated - - -

Done! That was interesting.

Wasn't that sure about what would be up there, I expected Deadpool and Civil War (one point difference, ha) and Rogue One, since those are the big movies a lot of people would have seen, but was surprised by how many had Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Captain Fantastic and The Nice Guys on their lists.

The reason I wasn't sure was because I felt like there wasn't a ton of overlap, which there wasn't, relatively speaking. On those 11 lists, 48 different movies were mentioned.
    Fairly inconsequential, but while I did the changes earlier, After the Storm somehow ended up two spots farther down than where it was meant to be. The only meaningful difference is that Kubo and the Two Strings is one spot down on my list compared to when you compiled the lists.

As I didn't get to add a comment when I did the changes earlier, I'll do it now. I've watched several films since last I updated the list, but haven't done any changes until now.

I added Hunt for the Wilderpeople (8+/10) and The Handmaiden (9+/10), removed Zootopia and The Jungle Book, changed the grade of Kubo and the Two Strings and Captain Fantastic, and switched the position of Arrival and Nocturnal Animals.

The combined forces of Arctagon and Fences got Nocturnal Animals into the list, making it beat out Star Trek Beyond and Doctor Strange by a single point for the last spot.
    Now, that's what I call the power of cooperation. Well deserved. In that regard, what algorithm do you follow when allocating points? 1-10 points based on position?

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    Now, that's what I call the power of cooperation. Well deserved. In that regard, what algorithm do you follow when allocating points? 1-10 points based on position?
    Yeah, 10 points for a #1 spot, 9 points for a #2 spot, etc., down to 1 point for a #10 spot. I suppose your change would have made Kubo and the Two Strings and Rogue One tie. Had a last second change of heart and moved Hunt for the Wilderpeople up a bit too.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2017-02-01 at 10:22 PM.

1. Hacksaw Ridge

2. Moana

3. Arrival

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland