Saudi police arrest 9 American 'terror' suspects

Riyadh (AFP) - Saudi authorities have arrested nine American citizens among 33 "terror" suspects rounded up over the past week, the Saudi Gazette newspaper reported Sunday.

Four Americans were arrested last Monday and five others over the past four days, the paper reported, citing an unidentified source.

Washington, a strong ally of Riyadh, confirmed it was aware of the report but declined to elaborate.

A US State Department official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told AFP: "We are aware of reports alleging that several US citizens were detained in Saudi Arabia.

"The Department of State takes its obligation to assist US citizens abroad seriously. Due to privacy considerations, we have no further comment."

The Saudi Gazette said the arrests also included 14 Saudis, three Yemenis, two Syrians, an Indonesian, a Filipino, an Emirati, a Kazakhstan national and a Palestinian.

It did not say if any of the "terror suspects" was linked to the Islamic State jihadist group, which has claimed several deadly attacks against security forces and Shiites in the kingdom since last year.

On Friday, a suicide bomber attacked a Shiite mosque in Eastern Province, killing four people before worshippers disarmed and tied up his accomplice who had fired on them.

IS, a radical Sunni group that considers Shiites heretics, did not claim that attack.

The Saudi Gazette said some 532 IS suspects accused of plotting attacks in the kingdom are being questioned ahead of their trial at the criminal court in Riyadh.

They are members of six cells arrested in "pre-emptive" raids across the kingdom and include a Saudi woman and a Filipina, the paper said.

Also on Sunday, the interior ministry said they were searching for nine suspects allegedly involved in an August suicide bombing that targeted a mosque inside a police headquarters, killing 15 people.

IS had claimed the attack in the southern city of Abha.

The ministry said in a statement that three other suspects, including a member of the kingdom's special forces, had been arrested in connection with the Abha mosque bombing.

The oil-rich kingdom offered rewards of between one million riyals ($276,000) and seven million riyals ($1.87 million) for anyone who helps in the arrest of a suspect or thwarts an attack. http://news.yahoo.com/saudi-police-a...004209108.html

Deleted
    Wonder if there will now be public beheadings of American citizens in Saudi Arabia, and if that'll change the buddybuddy relationship the US has with the Saudis, at all.

I find this hilarious.

And for anyone who thinks me a hypocrite, if they are terrorists it serves them right. Americans can be terrorists too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Wonder if there will now be public beheadings of American citizens in Saudi Arabia, and if that'll change the buddybuddy relationship the US has with the Saudis, at all.
    its already been essentially destroyed by the Iran deal and the U.S being one of the major forces behind (at least U.S) oil prices going down.

Yeah, that wouldn't be too cool. But if it's their law then who are we to judge. And yeah, that would be hard to smooth over.

Quote Originally Posted by Roostercogburn View Post
    I find this hilarious.

And for anyone who thinks me a hypocrite, if they are terrorists it serves them right. Americans can be terrorists too.
    I wonder if these are just foreign nationals who were granted US citizenship.

Depends on if they are terrorists, we do know that people have been leaving western countries to become terrorists. If they are actual terrorists and Suadi Arabia beheads them I don't think anyone will care except the bleeding hearts who always get upset about such things.

Saddle up boys, we're going back to the middle east

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50Ghz, OC'd to 4.0Ghz | 8GB Corsair DDR3-1066 RAM | Gigabyte Z97-HD3
    NVIDIA GeForce 680GTX 2048MB VRAM | Corsair 750TX 750W PSU | Phantecks Dual fan PH-TC14PE

10+ Year Old Account
    I care more about fair and due process.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I care more about fair and due process.
    In Saudi Arabia?

For some reason reading the article reminded me terran dropship operator; Buckle up!
    then i thought its impossible, just some misunderstood americans who will be freed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    For some reason reading the article reminded me terran dropship operator; Buckle up!
    then i thought its impossible, just some misunderstood americans who will be freed soon.
    Or it could be refugee extremists that were granted American citizenship.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saudi's mad we're kicking their ass in oil, don't think they an ass whooping in ordinance too. The US is the only think keeping them within the good graces of the West. The US doesn't even need to attack the Saudi's, we just need to let the wolves of the Middle East get a hold of them.

Resident Cosplay Progressive