Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

The continued ability prune in Legion is a gift to private servers

In Legion, they are greatly accelerating the ability prune that is making pvp so boring on retail.

I got a laugh out of Dillypoo posting that in Legion "Warriors are cavemen with sticks."

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20418544270

Cdew tweeted yesterday that:

Charles Dewland ‏@ChuckDewland 5h5 hours ago
    Ability pruning will be the death of wow pvp. Forces players to have similar play styles allowing them to no longer be unique or to outplay

https://twitter.com/ChuckDewland/with_replies

I'm personally very happy to see this. I already gave up on retail WoW in WoD and headed to private servers. As things stand now, Legion will ensure that a lot more pvpers join those of us already here.

I bet a lot of warriors will decide they don't want to be "cavemen with sticks" and that they want to go back to their WOTLK warrior that had charge, intercept and intervene, that had 3 stances and two equipment sets and you had to know which abilities to use with each.

In short, the WoW I love and the WoW I play is one that respects the intelligence of its players and assumes they want to be challenged.

It sounds like WoW in Legion continues the developers' approach of saying, in effect, "we know you're reaalllyy slow, so we're gonna make this reallllly easy for you." Thanks all the same, but I'll pass on that game and I expect many others will as well.
    Last edited by Arrowset; 2016-02-01 at 03:09 PM.

It's better have 10 abilities on a real server, than 30 (of which 15 are broken) on a private server.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    It's better have 10 abilities on a real server, than 30 (of which 15 are broken) on a private server.
    Class abilities work very well on the private servers I play on. It's the thing they concentrate on the most, for obvious reasons, since it's crucial to both pve and pvp gameplay. Even on my MoP server, which is the buggiest, symbiosis is the only one of like 50 abilities on my resto druid that doesn't work well. And even that works a good bit of the time.

Where I see a lot of bugs are on things like individual quests- you might see a mob "swimming" in the ground or something like that. Annoying to levelers, but it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game as a pvper.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    People that think WoW pvp was ever anything more than a fun hobby make me laugh
    The current developer team clearly agrees with you. Which is fine with me. There were a couple of million of us at WoW's peak, and I hope to see more of them joining me in playing the "real" WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Yup, have to agree.

Besiddes, it's a private server, don't make me post the 'Wall of No'
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowset View Post
    The current developer team clearly agrees with you. Which is fine with me. There were a couple of million of us at WoW's peak, and I hope to see more of them joining me in playing the "real" WoW.
    The "Real" WoW is retail WoW, no matter how much you try to ignore that fact.
    Stormrage US | Aesryn

TBC, WotLK and Cata PvP were all fun, but knowing nothing will ever change past the status quo of the last patch of the expansion results in me not being able to swallow one day more of it.

If there was a private server that would evolve their own set of rules and their own balance + itemization, then it would be worth mentioning. But that would likely require modifications to the client itself, and that takes time and costs money. As private servers are not money printing machines, they will never be more than hobby projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Besiddes, it's a private server, don't make me post the 'Wall of No'
    The Wall of No relates to Blizzard making their own old expansion server. I'm no longer counting on Blizzard to do anything that appeals to me as a customer.

I've made my own personal "Wall of Yes" in the form of max level toons on 7 or 8 different private servers.

In Legion, they are greatly accelerating the ability prune that is making pvp so boring on retail.

I got a laugh out of Dillypoo posting that in Legion "Warriors are cavemen with sticks."

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20418544270

Cdew tweeted yesterday that:

Charles Dewland ‏@ChuckDewland 5h5 hours ago
    Ability pruning will be the death of wow pvp. Forces players to have similar play styles allowing them to no longer be unique or to outplay

https://twitter.com/ChuckDewland/with_replies

I'm personally very happy to see this. I already gave up on retail WoW in WoD and headed to private servers. As things stand now, Legion will ensure that a lot more pvpers join those of us already here.

I bet a lot of warriors will decide they don't want to be "cavemen with sticks" and that they want to go back to their WOTLK warrior that had charge, intercept and intervene, that had 3 stances and two equipment sets and you had to know which abilities to use with each.

In short, the WoW I love and the WoW I play is one that respects the intelligence of its players and assumes they want to be challenged.

It sounds like WoW in Legion continues the developers' approach of saying, in effect, "we know you're reaalllyy slow, so we're gonna make this reallllly easy for you." Thanks all the same, but I'll pass on that game and I expect many others will as well.
    I have to agree.

Holinka doesn't understand MMORPG PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    TBC, WotLK and Cata PvP were all fun, but knowing nothing will ever change past the status quo of the last patch of the expansion results in me not being able to swallow one day more of it.

If there was a private server that would evolve their own set of rules and their own balance + itemization, then it would be worth mentioning. But that would likely require modifications to the client itself, and that takes time and costs money. As private servers are not money printing machines, they will never be more than hobby projects.
    I see your point, but for me the variety comes from being able to switch from one expansion to another. On WOTLK, for example, ret paladins are a nightmare for my hunter to deal with. On Cata they are easy. So as I switch from one xpac to another, I get a different gameplay experience that keeps me interested.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Wall of No relates to Blizzard making their own old expansion server. I'm no longer counting on Blizzard to do anything that appeals to me as a customer.

I've made my own personal "Wall of Yes" in the form of max level toons on 7 or 8 different private servers.
    The 'Wall of No' means that at some point, there's always someone that is going to ask for it. Even the discussion of private servers on MMO-champion is to be limited. There's a reason you aren't permitted to post links for it and so on. You can of course have your choice, but not sure about overall cups of care.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

keybind bloat = bad

Bye, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

p.s. don't private servers have their own forums?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    keybind bloat = bad
    Yeah... I rather not go too far back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desparil View Post
    Bye, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

p.s. don't private servers have their own forums?
    Honestly, I think so. I tend to believe it is in attempt to bigger.

Yeah, we don't have TWO SEPARATE talent trees in legion, and we don't have our regular abilities in Legion, and we don't have a WHOLE NEW SET of skills and passives on our Artifact weps, good luck private servers, it will be the opposite of what you're saying, it will make it even harder for them.

The PvP talent system will surely make things more interesting than what the few lost abilities offered, no?

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by autopsy View Post
    The PvP talent system will surely make things more interesting than what the few lost abilities offered, no?
    not really considering they take baseline abilities and then add them in as talents lol

Nobody but a niche of players care about private servers. It's like saying ability pruning is a gift to Lotro. If people want to stop they will just stop, only a tiny % will go to a private server, nobody fucking care.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    I have to agree.

Holinka doesn't understand MMORPG PVP.
    I think Holinka is trying to go down the MOBA path. Unfortunately, he doesn't understand:

- MMORPGs are not MOBAs and should never be like a MOBA
    - MOBAs succeed because there dozens of different characters with very different abilities. So while a single character may not have many abilities, across all of the different characters there are well over a hundred different abilities.