Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I've never been to a caucus before. I never realized that they used the primitive voting system of "raising hands". Wow, the voting system in this country is so screwed up.
    Raising hands is pretty good if you're using parlypro, have people who know how to use parlypro on all sides, and make sure that the only people voting are people who are supposed to be voting. Where the system starts to look Mickey Mouse is when: 1) not enough people know Robert's Rules (or any similar system), 2) there's poor access- and voter-control; both problems appear endemic in the Iowa caucuses. Lack of functioning knowledge of Parlimentary Procedure is endemic in America - I'll leave off speculating as to the causes and motivations behind that and just observe that without it, it is difficult for any public movement, formal or informal, to organize itself.
    Last edited by ringpriest; 2016-02-04 at 02:26 PM.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    So we have a 3 way split in the Rep base and a 2 way split in the Dem base.

Showing things to come?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    So we have a 3 way split in the Rep base and a 2 way split in the Dem base.

Showing things to come?
    In related news Santorum gave up and pledged for Rubio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    I've never been to a caucus before. I never realized that they used the primitive voting system of "raising hands". Wow, the voting system in this country is so screwed up.
    Wonder why we don't use the popular vote for federal positions?

Beause government can get pretty silly at the state and local level.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Wonder why we don't use the popular vote for federal positions?

Beause government can get pretty silly at the state and local level.
    Because if you don't balance the powers between federal and state, some states would basically have no voice, and just get run over. This is particularly true of rural states. They would basically have no actual say in things.