10+ Year Old Account

Looking to buy/build a new comp for the wife

As the title states I am looking to either buy or build a new computer for my wife. She mainly plays WoW but hasn't been able to play any other games for a few years now since her laptop can barely run WoW at 10 fps.

I can build one or I can buy pre built. Our budget is around $600-$700. And I would prefer an i5 cpu for her in case we want to upgrade her in the future or she decides to play other games.

I was looking at:
    http://www.amazon.com/M32CD-Desktop-...625HVHX75EP1Q3

And then adding a gtx 950 to it but I wasn't sure if the PSu could handle it, from what I read it has a 300w PSU on the comp and MSi recommends 350 watts.

Here is a little build I came up with on pcpartpicker:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NX3MRB

Any thoughts or ideas or even a better build would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

You really should go with a nvidia gtx 960 GPU, it's only $40.00 more but it would be a big upgrade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apluscarp View Post
    You really should go with a nvidia gtx 960 GPU, it's only $40.00 more but it would be a big upgrade.
    I did think about that but with the games she plays regularly and has on Steam the gtx 950 has benchmarked quite well. I also need to worry about it fitting in a case since I am buying her a micro ATX case since our space to put her computer is limited.
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by apluscarp View Post
    Not really. The 950 is a very capable card and if you OC it performs nearly identically to the 960.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I also need to worry about it fitting in a case since I am buying her a micro ATX case since our space to put her computer is limited.

This is a nonexistent worry. mATX has to fit full size GPUs to meet the spec. mITX can -sometimes- be an issue, but even then, the vast majority of even mITX cases fit full sized GPUs

- - - Updated - - -

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vd7qcf
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vd7qcf/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($53.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($36.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $641.71
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-02 17:27 EST-0500

Much better CPU, much better GPU, Hybrid Drive, better PSU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    This is a nonexistent worry. mATX has to fit full size GPUs to meet the spec. mITX can -sometimes- be an issue, but even then, the vast majority of even mITX cases fit full sized GPUs

- - - Updated - - -

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vd7qcf
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vd7qcf/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($53.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($36.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $641.71
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-02 17:27 EST-0500

Much better CPU, much better GPU, Hybrid Drive, better PSU.
    Oh wow thanks for the reply and build. I had originally decided on a Seasonic but since theyre the OEM for the EVGA PSU I had I figured I would go with that but I like this build. Only thing I might change is the case in case she doesn't like the mesh look on the front of that.

I just picked a random cae that was cheap. Case choice is always subjective.

Deleted
    For wow in particular you might be better with a gtx960, but generally speaking for most games the R9 380 is better. For the case i would pick the Thermaltake core V21 its for 39.99 after rebates. Awesome micro case for the money, even thinking grabbing it myself to replace my 100euro fractal mini r2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    For wow in particular you might be better with a gtx960, but generally speaking for most games the R9 380 is better. For the case i would pick the Thermaltake core V21 its for 39.99 after rebates. Awesome micro case for the money, even thinking grabbing it myself to replace my 100euro fractal mini r2.
    That's a nice one. I showed itr to her and she likes it quite a bit. She also really liked the Cooler Master N200. The more I look at building my own again I am thinking of sticking around $500 ish if possible, so the GTX 950 may be the card for her. She is used to playing on a laptop that can barely manage 10 fpws in solo play and in a group of more than 5 it just has a seizure. Also the gtx 950 has benchmarked pretty good in WoW and with a small OC can be even better but If I did go up in GPU it would probably be the R9 380.

Deleted
    The 950 is a wise choice if you want to save some money its not far off the 960, then again it depends how high clocked each one is unless you do it yourself. This one comes very high clocked but its not the cheapest.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you can lower the value a bit with a 950 while grabbing a better cpu and a proper ssd (up to you really). The diffence is that the 6600 has turbo at 3.9Ghz while the 6500 at 3.6Ghz. For 16bucks difference i think its worth it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($49.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($133.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $602.71
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-04 07:09 EST-0500

10+ Year Old Account
    The 950 is a wise choice if you want to save some money its not far off the 960, then again it depends how high clocked each one is unless you do it yourself. This one comes very high clocked but its not the cheapest.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you can lower the value a bit with a 950 while grabbing a better cpu and a proper ssd (up to you really). The diffence is that the 6600 has turbo at 3.9Ghz while the 6500 at 3.6Ghz. For 16bucks difference i think its worth it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($49.88 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($133.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $602.71
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-04 07:09 EST-0500
    Thanks for the build. As soon as taxes come in im gonna build her one. I feel bad for her she has a laptop we bought on a black friday sale in 2011 for $250 while I have a comp I spent $1400 building in 2012 after I got the settlement from breaking my back at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    Thanks for the build. As soon as taxes come in im gonna build her one. I feel bad for her she has a laptop we bought on a black friday sale in 2011 for $250 while I have a comp I spent $1400 building in 2012 after I got the settlement from breaking my back at work.
    I dare say you earned that build. Unless she had to slash throats to get her laptop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
    I dare say you earned that build. Unless she had to slash throats to get her laptop.
    And what makes you think she didn't? Or you that kind of man that thinks women don't work or have as much or more income? when someone says build her/him means to actually do the build cause he can technically, not who is paying it or where the money comes from.

10+ Year Old Account
    And what makes you think she didn't? Or you that kind of man that thinks women don't work or have as much or more income? when someone says build her/him means to actually do the build cause he can technically, not who is paying it or where the money comes from.
    o.o....wtf are you on about?