Poll: ?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Take away "ZeroTolerance Act" ..?

When a bully[ies] and a victim[s] get into an altercation both get equally charged, even if the bully[ies] start the fight. Should this be taken away since victims end up killing themselves, feeling depressed/low self esteem since they've become "part of the problem?" In Virginia, Chesterfield County schools this incident had occured and sparked in outrage.

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. – Video that appears to show alleged bullying inside an area high school is being investigated by Chesterfield County Public Schools, officials confirmed Thursday afternoon.

The video posted on the WTVR CBS 6 Facebook page Wednesday night was apparently shot inside a Matoaca High School classroom.

The footage shows a student being physically lifted out of a desk by another student who then takes that seat.

WTVR has blurred the video to protect the identity of the other students in the class.

The video, which at last check had been viewed more than 50,000 times, has gone viral.

Several students have contacted WTVR CBS 6 to voice their concerns.

WTVR CBS 6 reached out to Chesterfield schools officials, who confirmed they are aware of the video and are investigating.
    http://wtvr.com/2016/01/21/alleged-b...jVDdA8u8AaAuks
    Both the victim and bully were punished equally when the victim had done nothing.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Deleted
    If you cant handle someone picking on you your gonna have a hard time growing up. Children need to grow a backbone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    If you cant handle someone picking on you your gonna have a hard time growing up.
    Agreed. It also makes the person stronger and they need to fight back.

On paper it's nice to say the bully should be the only one punished.

I think in reality it can be difficult to know the nuances of each altercation, and in general schools need to just broadly discourage any violence.

I think a reasonable parent would explain to a child that under certain circumstances you just need to withdraw/run from the situation, and other circumstances you might need to stick up for yourself - but understand that if you hit someone, you will pay consequences, regardless of the circumstances.

People harassed and bullied me all the time growing up. Every time I defended myself I got in trouble. I really resented the teachers and principals in my schools growing up.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

I propose a zero tolerance policy for right wing terrorism.
    It's been a while actually since I've received a message from scrapbot...need to drink more i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    Trump is a complete shitbag that's draining the country's coffers to stuff his own.
    It must be a day ending in Y.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you need to have tools like policy written to give power to those with authority to act to prevent harm or further harm from happening.

Then you need prudent, fair, and experienced administrators who are going to carry out that authority with wisdom and balance.

And then you have to take a big step back and let that system work it's way through with another manager to over see and make sure that, the efforts made are best faith of everybody.

Meaning you have a strict black and white policy, but not so strict it winds up back firing and creating more problems than it prevents, and then you need human beings who can be trusted to figure things out when there is a gray area.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

The only true solution is trial by Thunderdome.

It's all these "only children", families with only one child. It's difficult to get at someone calling you "a girl" when your little brother calls you "a dork".

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Zero Tolerance in schools is wrong. There have been stories of a first grader's mom putting a butter knife in their lunch so they can cut up an apple. The student tells the teacher and gets expelled for a weapon in schools. There was another story of someone physically being on top of another beating him in the head relentlessly, a third student pulls him off and gets expelled. A person in JROTC had the fake guns they use in the backseat of her car, covered by a blanket, asked to use a phone so her mother could pick them up, and once again gets expelled. Zero Tolerance makes more trouble than it is worth.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you cant handle someone picking on you your gonna have a hard time growing up. Children need to grow a backbone.
    I don't agree, kids needs to focus on learning what is important, not learning to tolerate assholes and people who are into things like torturing other people trying to learn, there should be a zero tolerance policy for that.

Let Billy do his work study in peace!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's a silly rule. Sometimes a kid just deserves to be knocked down a peg or two for physically abusing someone. Glad I didn't have to deal with this during my school years or at least had sane principals that knew I was only defending myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Yeah it's a silly rule. Sometimes a kid just deserves to be knocked down a peg or two for physically abusing someone. Glad I didn't have to deal with this during my school years or at least had sane principals that knew I was only defending myself.
    Not only physically but verbally but the victim should also fight back the problem is here, why in hell are they getting punished for defending themselves?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Not only physically but verbally but the victim should also fight back the problem is here, why in hell are they getting punished for defending themselves?!
    Verbally I can't agree with. That can be ignored to a point and you'll live your adult life having to ignore a lot of stupid shit people will say to you. Once someone lays hands on you though it should be free game

Children need to grow a backbone.
    Agreed. Bullying will exist as long as kids allow themselves to be bullied.

Also, I've seen bullying a hundred times worse than the footage provided in the video. So the word "outrage" is kinda hilarious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Verbally I can't agree with. That can be ignored to a point and you'll live your adult life having to ignore a lot of stupid shit people will say to you. Once someone lays hands on you though it should be free game
    Tolerating assholes is something that doesn't happen on this forum lol. So why shouldn't we do it irl

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post

Also, I've seen bullying a hundred times worse than the footage provided in the video. So the word "outrage" is kinda hilarious to me.
    Nah injustice and hatred will exist as long as people shrug their shoulders and say well that is just part of life. No way, I think we should all speak up for each other, and kids should be encouraged not to ever bully others.

Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post
    I'm guessing you never had the entire school year you were in decide that bullying you was "fun".

Being tossed down hallways, being kicked by a group of people... And don't even think of fighting back, that'll get you sent to the principal's office instantly.

Oh yes, it's always the victim's fault.
    Originally Posted by Daxxarri
    It's because of that thing you did that one time. We know. (source)

Zero Tolerance in schools is wrong. There have been stories of a first grader's mom putting a butter knife in their lunch so they can cut up an apple. The student tells the teacher and gets expelled for a weapon in schools. There was another story of someone physically being on top of another beating him in the head relentlessly, a third student pulls him off and gets expelled. A person in JROTC had the fake guns they use in the backseat of her car, covered by a blanket, asked to use a phone so her mother could pick them up, and once again gets expelled. Zero Tolerance makes more trouble than it is worth.
    This^

The policy is used as an excuse to make fucking ridiculous decisions, rather than actually look into the situation and enforce a reasonable punishment, if one is even necessary at all.

I don't agree, kids needs to focus on learning what is important, not learning to tolerate assholes and people who are into things like torturing other people trying to learn, there should be a zero tolerance policy for that.

Let Billy do his work study in peace!
    School is as much about learning information as it is life lessons, IMO. One of those things is understanding and knowing how to deal with all kinds of stupid/ fuckwad people. Stifling that learning process doesn't do anyone any favors, it just makes emotionally stunted graduates who can't function well in real world situations because they had stupid policies in school and/or retarded officials enforcing them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Tolerating assholes is something that doesn't happen on this forum lol. So why shouldn't we do it irl
    Idk about you but there's a lot of assholes I tolerate on this forum lmao.