Etiquette when someone buys you dinner

I rarely let anybody buy me dinner so I'm curious if there's etiquette for it. Do you order whatever you want or do you set a dollar limit for yourself?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Don't buy the cheapest thing so you're not a spergy weirdo, don't buy the most expensive thing so you're not a leech.

I pick a few things I'd like and let them order first to ballpark what they want to spend then order accordingly.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends on who's buying. Typically though it's good manners to get something nice (they took you out afterall! Don't get something that could have been done at home) but isn't going to break the budget. Personally when I used to take girls out, seeing what they ordered was a test of their personality and if they wanted to take advantage of a free meal or not.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

If a human buys another human dinner, they have to fuck.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Parents are of course permitted to exchange banked meals purchased for their children with another parent in order to avoid incest. This exchange is not compulsory.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Parents are of course permitted to exchange banked meals purchased for their children with another parent in order to avoid incest. This exchange is not compulsory.
    That's not buying dinner that is feeding the hungry children, completely different.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    What if a human buys another human for dinner?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I tend to do "at max, match the person." If they order a mid-range item, don't go over that, if they over the biggest most expensive thing, maybe don't order the same thing, but you have more options now. If they order dessert, order dessert, if they don't, don't. Etc.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll note in here: I'm less concerned about the meal itsself when taking someone out, but damn do drinks run up the price! 5-10 bucks a drink can really bite you in the ass after a couple rounds.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I rarely let anybody buy me dinner so I'm curious if there's etiquette for it.

I'd say a handjibber at least

10+ Year Old Account
    Always order the lobster.

If lobster isn't on the menu, demand it and tell them to spare no expense in obtaining it.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    It really depends on who's buying. Typically though it's good manners to get something nice (they took you out afterall! Don't get something that could have been done at home) but isn't going to break the budget. Personally when I used to take girls out, seeing what they ordered was a test of their personality and if they wanted to take advantage of a free meal or not.
    This is the truth.

I took a girl out a long time ago and she ordered appetizer followed by a steak with lobster tail. Took 4 bites total. That was the first and last time I ever did any thing with her. I had more than enough to cover our bill (and I did cover it all), however I thought it was rude and wasteful.

If I invite someone out to dinner (or any where for that matter), I expect myself to pay for all of it. If Im invited out, I expect to pay for whatever I order. Depending on the flow of the dinner, I may even off to pay it all. A good conversation goes a long way, just dont be a bitch about it.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'll note in here: I'm less concerned about the meal itsself when taking someone out, but damn do drinks run up the price! 5-10 bucks a drink can really bite you in the ass after a couple rounds.
    Definitely. We have a lot of little Bars with a grill around my area where before 10pm they act like a restaurant. Hamburgers/Wings/fried goodness. The burgers are actually amazing. Depending on the person, Ive gone out on dates to a couple of these places. Bar drink prices with great burgers, pool, and music.
    Last edited by babalou1; 2016-02-03 at 04:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I Usually take my friend out to eat once every couple weeks, so I'm usually the one buying. When he asks me what price range to keep it in, i tell him "fuck that, order what you want to eat." regardless of price, i would eat what ever looks good to me at that time. I would never go out to eat and sacrifice what i wanted for thriftiness. If it was about money i wouldn't even go out to eat, I would buy ingredients and make a meal just as good at cost.

If someone offers to buy me dinner or a drink, I go for the most medium-cheap things on the menu. Light beer and a basic burger is good enough for me.

It rarely happens because I'm not a chick.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by babalou1 View Post
    This is the truth.

I took a girl out a long time ago and she ordered appetizer followed by a steak with lobster tail. Took 4 bites total. That was the first and last time I ever did any thing with her. I had more than enough to cover our bill (and I did cover it all), however I thought it was rude and wasteful.

If I invite someone out to dinner (or any where for that matter), I expect myself to pay for all of it. If Im invited out, I expect to pay for whatever I order. Depending on the flow of the dinner, I may even off to pay it all. A good conversation goes a long way, just dont be a bitch about it.
    I do understand that sometimes a meal is larger or smaller than you expect, or more filling than anticipated but those leftovers better damn well be taken home, if they're left on the table I'll box them for myself (or do it after we pay so she doesn't ask if she can have them).

But there's no excuse at all to go nuts like that when ordering food. An appetizer and steak & lobster is a good meal to split between two people and typically way to too much for a single person.

I will say that I have rarely had unreasonable dates though. Maybe only a couple of times ever.

Just, be kind.