Poll: Yearly expansions...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    they already failed the yearly idea with WoD. had 1 raid delayed then HFC lasting a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    One year is too short, it barely gives you time to appreciate the 'world' that the expansion sits in or tell the story it's trying to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    they already failed the yearly idea with WoD. had 1 raid delayed then HFC lasting a year.
    Completely and utterly this. This expansion was suppose to be the start of yearly expansions and obviously by the lack of content that was the goal. Yet here we are 15 months into this expansion with at least 5 to 6 months left till the next one. So we will be in this expansion 20 plus months so basically 2 years. This all happened with thier "expanded" staff too. So we got a years expansion worth of content but spend nearly 2 years in it. Why would I want this again?

I dont care if expansions are released yearly, every two years, or are shorter/longer. What matters is no single raid tier should ever be longer then 4-5 months, 6 months tops. That way, if you don't like a raid tier, or the state of your spec in that tier, or get bored of the tier, you dont have to wait too long for new stuff.

Ideally, expansions are about a year and a half long, with at least three full raid tiers to really give each expansion and the story time to develop.

I dont care if im paying $50 yearly on top of the sub as long as it keeps me engaged, ie no more then 4-5 month tiers. i drop $60 on single player games that i spend 20 hours playing once and never touch again. spending $50 a year for hundreds of hours sounds fine to me.

Situations like SoO where i quit twice and still had time to come back and raid it a third time while it was still current are not acceptable. Quitting near the begging of HFC, taking SIX months off and coming back to not only the exact same game experience but also with six MORE months of it before anything changes, is not acceptable.

Right now, im ready to come back to the game, im chomping at the bit to raid, but HFC is still the same (in my opinion) awful, terrible, raid it was 6 months ago, my spec still sucks (qq, i know), and nothing will change for at least 6 more months. That's pretty disheartening.

At least if the tier only lasted 6 months id have a new tier or spec changes, or both, to look forward to right now.

Since the final tier is going to be a year or longer no matter how many content patches they have (WoD had 1 real patch and still is going to have at least year long final raid tier) i'd rather just have MoPs content schedule.

Deleted
    Only if they actually managed to deliver it.

I don't think this WoD model would be terrible if we had had a new expansion past december. The problem with it then is that gear is so easily upgradeable in time that people might not want to chase the carrot anymore.
    2 year cycles, with a completely fleshed out expansion, no cut features, proper patch support is preferable.

No, I don't. Not if they're going to continue with the model they have now of asking for $40-50 for each expansion on top of the sub fee. If they changed it to be cheaper, I'd be more inclined to be OK with it, so long as the amount of content was worth the price tag.

Really hard to put a number on the "amount of content" though so...eh... I like WoW alot, so I'd probably get the expansions regardless, but we'll see what the future actually holds.

I've mentioned this before, but I want MoP pacing for the most part. Shave 3 months off of the end of MoP and toss in a minor content patch, something the equivalent size of say the patch that had us screwing around in Krasarang Wilds, that links us to the next expansion. That would be the sweet spot for me.

And I'd be willing to pay more for that. The way I look at it, this is a cheap hobby for me. I'd pay more to get more content at better quality.

Expansions aren't even necessary, they're just putting together a few patches worth of content and charging a box price for it.

No expansions ever.

MoP model but with the final patch lasting a few months less than 5.4 did = what I want. They could easily have staggered some of the content releases for that expansions by a few months since 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 came very closely to one another and that way made 5.4 seem like less of a drag.

However, I'd rather sit through 16 months of a final patch and get something equal to or better than MoP, if that'd be possible, than have them rush shit to feed the people scorfing down "content" like fat kids do with cake.

Quote Originally Posted by bmjclark View Post
    Since the final tier is going to be a year or longer no matter how many content patches they have (WoD had 1 real patch and still is going to have at least year long final raid tier) i'd rather just have MoPs content schedule.
    Me too. Wish they'd just go back to the "Launch > minor patch > big patch > minor patch > big patch > next" design. People seemed happier then - as long as there isn't massive gaps between them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    MoP model but with the final patch lasting a few months less than 5.4 did = what I want. They could easily have staggered some of the content releases for that expansions by a few months since 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 came very closely to one another and that way made 5.4 seem like less of a drag.

However, I'd rather sit through 16 months of a final patch and get something equal to or better than MoP, if that'd be possible, than have them rush shit to feed the people scorfing down "content" like fat kids do with cake.
    So you want them to artificially extend the life of an expansion by making us have nothing to do for longer periods in between patches. Thats unacceptable.

Not really a fan of paying the expansion price more often, no. If it was free, sure, bring them on lol

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems that the longer the vote stays open, the more people are opposed to yearly expansions.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll forward this to @WarcraftDevs and see if it garners a response.

10+ Year Old Account
    No - I'd prefer longer expansions with more content.

I don't enjoy paying every year for a mini expansion.

No, I don't want to be levelling characters, professions, etc. every single year.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    It seems that the longer the vote stays open, the more people are opposed to yearly expansions.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll forward this to @WarcraftDevs and see if it garners a response.
    They'll probably find a way to explain to you why this data is invalid. When we wanted shorter gaps where we had no content it pretty much went something like this:
    Blizz: "Oh you want shorter expansions?"
    Us: "No we wan.."
    Blizz: "Shorter expansions is what you shall get!"
    Us: "..."

And then of course the actual content was indeed shorter but the gap remained the same, if not worse, we'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    I much prefer longer expansions with more regular content patches.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

After thinking about it more, no I do not want yearly expansions regardless of the model they use. Having your character essentially get "reset" every year would suck. I just want more content. If they were able to create more content patches that introduced new raids, dungeons, dailies, story, etc... to stretch an expansion over 2 years that would be great. TBC felt good because the raids had a progression, which gave the first tier raids a longer life because everyone needed to do them to move up. Veterans were already at the higher tier raids, but the people just getting into it would still be doing the lower tier ones so they would still feel fresh for the life of the expansion. Unlike what we have now where the previous tier raid is obsolete pretty much as soon as the new one is released.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidget View Post
    They'll probably find a way to explain to you why this data is invalid.
    Its a tiny tiny sampling from a fansite which is already a biased and niche part of the community. I'm not really sure any rational person would expect them to think much of it.

They also have pretty much always been trying to make yearly expansions. I wouldn't be surprised if they had that idea in their head before vanilla launched and simply never managed to make it a reality.

I agree that its an absolutely terrible idea that they need to give up on, but I don't see why anyone thinks 500 people voting on a fan site poll is supposed to sway them.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.