Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Hey, 1333 works with both voltage settings (when on auto, it's around 1,51), 1600 neither works

Quote Originally Posted by Zaak View Post
    Hey, 1333 works with both voltage settings (when on auto, it's around 1,51), 1600 neither works
    if you try 1600mhz at 1.61 does it boot? And im guessing the correct amount of ram still doesn't show up with having things setup manually?

It doesn't. Seems like it doesn't want anything above 1333

Something seems very fucked with your bios or motherboard then, its one thing not to show the ram correctly but not being able to boot above 1333mhz on a board that supports 2200 max is weird. Can you try booting to 1600mhz with just two ramsticks and one (i'm assuming you were trying with 4 before?)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    Something seems very fucked with your bios or motherboard then, its one thing not to show the ram correctly but not being able to boot above 1333mhz on a board that supports 2200 max is weird. Can you try booting to 1600mhz with just two ramsticks and one (i'm assuming you were trying with 4 before?)
    The mobo may be able to handle up to 2200MHz (Overclocked mode BTW) but that doesn't mean the CPU will.
    The CPU is the component that dictates RAM speed and his era of CPUs are very finnicky with RAM.
    F.ex. I have an Intel Core i7 990X and before that I had an Intel Core i7 920 (D1 stepping) and NEITHER of them for the life of them can/could pass 1866MHz and that "generation" was technically before the one he has and rated above his.
    It would run @ 2000MHz but only detect 4GB at any point in time, the IMC simply could not keep that speed with that much RAM.
    Dropped down to 1866MHz and it would operate with 12GB no problem.. so there is a hard limit in that generation ..
    Don't forget.. the official DDR3 supported speed on that generation was only 1066MHz and the rest was overclocking.

If his CPU has an IMC that won't take 1600MHz without stupendous voltage (say 1.8V - 1.9V which was still acceptable but not recommended) then tough shit really.. the mobo doesn't guarantee anything in that regard.. just the CPU.

@ OP
    Your generation of RAM was rated to run @ 1.65V .. why don't you try and set the voltage to that as well as 1600MHz.
    In fact those RAM sticks very likely have XMP Profiles.. you should try that first in the "Auto Tuner" or w/e it's called, it will show "X.M.P."
    Select that and save/reboot ... see if that changes anything.

Though truthfully nothing of this would change your issue IMO, it's just not the way the IMC works.
    If it doesn't see all slots @ 1333MHz then it still won't @ 1600MHz.

But ... just try the XMP settings first.. those are the most important ones as it sets more than just speed and voltage.. it also regulates QPI/Chipset voltage specific settings so who knows... you may get lucky on that.

Edit:
    Actually this just hit me... would it be possible for you to remove the cooler and CPU and make proper clear pictures of both the socket and cpu underside for me please?
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2016-02-06 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuckels View Post
    Hey, sorry for the delay. Neither of those options worked.

@Evildeffy

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow as it's getting kinda late where I live. The RAM has XMP profiles but it doesn't boot with them. (Actually, after pressing the dram LED to reboot the ram now runs at 1336 or something...)

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Edit:
    Actually this just hit me... would it be possible for you to remove the cooler and CPU and make proper clear pictures of both the socket and cpu underside for me please?
    Here they are

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaak View Post
    I see a little bit of dirt on the bottom side of the cpu but I doubt that's enough to cause anything.

To be honest I think you just have a bad IMC on your CPU or a busted Mobo.
    The only way to test this is to try the CPU in a different mobo with your RAM and see if it catches all 4 slots on that mobo.

If it does then it means your old mobo is busted.. if it does the same then it means your CPU is busted.
    At this point, due to previous experiences, I would give the biggest chance to mobo being busted.. but not 100% certain.

Pretty strange, one day it's fine and the next something doesn't work. Shouldn't have been the CPU anyway, I have never taken it out except today for the pictures I took today, so maybe that's why there's a little bit of dust on it.

I wanted to upgrade my PC anyway so I'll just go through with it