Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Wait Mall Security are you a flat earther or are you an agnostic flat earther leaning towards neither side of the debate?

You're like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow to educated debaters. Rest in peace you brave soul.
    No, I know the earth is not flat, but it isn't because of any guy on YouTube, and I don't think because I think Flat Earth is a bunch of nonsense, that I agree with circle jerks, and people making silly stupid ass comments because they happen to support one side over the other.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well then it's completely clear that you absolutely haven't understood it, at all.
    I just watched the video for the first time and it's pretty clear he's making fun of flat earthers, and simply stating the earth could be in a sense flat to objects traveling near the speed of light

Only on MMO-C would people argue about the earth being flat, with no person actually taking that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Only on MMO-C would people argue about the earth being flat, with no person actually taking that position.
    Who would win, our sun or 1 trillion lions?

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    It seems like it would be entertaining, but it would just be more frustrating for you. Your pointed questions have been asked, and they are really good at having reasonable sounding responses.

i think going in on their side would be far more rewarding.
    Potentially. If the idea is basically a 'virtual ethnography', you could approach it either way. If you announce yourself as an outsider you would need a very good schema for your questions with a clear purpose. They don't seem necessarily hostile to 'non-believers', so it could work assuming your tools are well developed and researched.

The other side would be more interesting, you'd be somewhat locked out of a set of 'standardised results' due to relying purely on opportunistic observation. Unless you're a master spy.

Pros-Cons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    The kernel of rationality is that flatness matches what they see on a human scale. Ask anyone uneducated with no knowledge of planets or geography and they'll probably say it's flat. Why? Because at our level it looks flat. So as to the "muwn reflecta," the issue here is he didn't see the Earth spinning away from the reflector because doesn't understand the dynamics of the motions of the Earth and the "Muwn" so he assumes, based on what he sees, that the Earth is flat.
    I'm sure that feeds into it. Fencers was essentially saying the same thing. But they can clearly differentiate on other topics and defer to expert knowledge in other areas. If this held true for them in all scenarios, they wouldn't be able to use the internet without exploding. So why resistance just on this specific topic. Though to be fair there probably is higher proportion of 'conspiracy theorists' in that population than a uh...regular one? Which feeds into your notion.

For clarifications sake, I am curious as to how they hold their position in the face of what is overwhelming evidence. I'm just not convinced it's a single-factor equation. My curiosity isn't exactly burning though, I'm tempted to hand-wave the whole thing as much as the next guy.
    Last edited by RapBreon; 2016-02-05 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RapBreon View Post
    For clarifications sake, I am curious as to how they hold their position in the face of what is overwhelming evidence. I'm just not convinced it's a single-factor equation. My curiosity isn't exactly burning though, I'm tempted to hand-wave the whole thing as much as the next guy.
    Trolling and/or regurgitating other peoples thought experiment. Many people have entertained the thought of "what would be required for flat earth to work". Smart does also not exclude mental issues, like paranoia. You can also be "smart", like come up with basic Newtonian physics level of ideas for an explanation, but not know the grand scheme of things otherwise that would break your "theory".

10+ Year Old Account
    They're on the "ancient relief shows someone using what appears to be a laptop" fad now. These things move quick. You gotta keep up. Talking about that rapper makes you appear behind and therefore not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Trolling and/or regurgitating other peoples thought experiment. Many people have entertained the thought of "what would be required for flat earth to work". Smart does also not exclude mental issues, like paranoia. You can also be "smart", like come up with basic Newtonian physics level of ideas for an explanation, but not know the grand scheme of things otherwise that would break your "theory".
    Whilst the proliferation of those ideas is curious in itself, it's the common element(s) I find more interesting.

Paranoia rates are probably much higher in those groups of people. Perhaps a combination of paranoia and an over reliance on self-derived knowledge/intuition?

Really I'm just shooting shit, I could probably just sift through a few journals if I wanted a better answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    Doesent work you can get to australia on a boat from chile and its not 50 times longer then doing something similar in the north pole.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Many flat earthers also believe the entirety of the universe sits upon a flat plane with neighboring planets and celestial bodies only resting along an X axis. The force above known as aether and the force below known as nether.

At least, I hope this isn't the generally accepted theory because I feel stupider even typing it. The entire universe just a big sheet of paper with a baby mobile spinning over it.
    We are in 2D and you dont even realize it you fools.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Who would win, our sun or 1 trillion lions?
    1 trillion lions is not even gona be 0.00000000001% of the suns mass. Ill go with the sun, ez bet, ez rares.

I read this topic and I still don't understand one thing. Why do they think it is so important to convince people of round Earth that the entire governments are involved in the conspiracy?

You'd think they would've stopped in the 19th century. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Level_experiment

I've still got to applaud their ingenuity there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm of fair certainty there aren't actually that many of them. Most of them are probably trolls, the rest of them just like to make a fuss.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    Are you new to the angry circle jerk phenomenon?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The reptilian got to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who was William Ashbless and why did bungee mention him? http://www.wired.com/2016/01/geeks-guide-tim-powers/

As someone mentioned early on, the OP didn't leave much room for discussion. We weren't really very likely to have flat earthers join in a discussion of "where did all the flat earth wackjobs go". The topic came along at a time that I was looking for an example of things that force us to reexamine ideas that are sort of a sacred cow, and whether people could or would step outside of that comfortable zone of 'well everyone knows X' to give an effective response. Flat earth seemed like a good topic for that.

Some day, if a room full of Chinese students (who are used to relational logic and memorized facts) spend an hour cussing at bungee ... you'll know why.

For all of that, I actually do feel that we need to question the things we are told sometimes. Peer review, for example, is better than making no attempt to examine new research and yet things do slip through the cracks. When they do, they take on an extra air of legitimacy. We are presented pictures as evidence of events or conditions, and yet sometimes those pictures are altered. We tap on our browser for information, and yet that information does get spun, edited or twisted. There may not be a global conspiracy to convince us that the world is round, but at the same time we can find examples where we are told flat out misinformation, or where research has tended to follow the funding.

For those of you who took a moment extra to address that part of my arguments, thanks. For those of you who laid out additional proofs to nail things down, my thanks again. It was interesting to see how you approached the evidence, and I was surprised to see gravity brought up before eclipses.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they all got on a boat and found the edge? We'll never know if they're right.

Oh hi, I'm right here

I have seen the sun and the moon in the sky at the exact same time, so I don't actually believe the Earth is a globe...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyMonktana View Post
    Oh hi, I'm right here

I have seen the sun and the moon in the sky at the exact same time, so I don't actually believe the Earth is a globe...
    This one is taking the piss.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Either this is a very elaborate troll or you deserve a special kind of award, mabye both at once even.
    Both, it's gotta be both. This guy is fucking amazing.