Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Success in busin as is often a function of how comfortable you make the people around you as much as it is the quality of your work.

That can mean personal hygiene, clothing, speech mannerisms, shared cultural touchstones (sports, movies, whatever), and sometimes even (though often subconsciously) race.

You want to succeed? Master the art of culturally complying with those in power as much as you can. Maybe it kinda sucks, but humans are tribal. It's instinctive, and it's going to happen no matter how much we may rage against it. Might as well take advantage of it where you can.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Dress for the job you want.

This isn't solely applicable to interviews.

Kenneth Cole $89

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

This is a true statement, I run business finance office and can concur.

Dress for the role you'd like to be in, not the role you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Kenneth Cole $89
    Kill it with fire.

10+ Year Old Account

Kenneth Cole $89
    Your recommendation is high water slacks and white Keds?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

7+ Year Old Account

Kenneth Cole $89
    I've spent years in the financial industry where you need to wear a suit and tie, and I would not hire anybody who came in looking like this. This is not professional looking in the slightest, just looks like a haggard attempt at being trendy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Your recommendation is high water slacks and white Keds?
    Sure, if people are asking for advice on how to wear something that scream 'don't have sex with me'.

That outfit looks ridiculous, frankly. This coming from someone who still wears Chuck Taylors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Why isn't he wearing proper (any?) socks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Maybe he lives on a houseboat?

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    He's got on ankle socks. But even if he had on regular socks, he still has high waters for pants.

Anyone been to American Eagle/those stores lately? Maybe I live under a rock, but I only recently saw that they're selling khaki/slack style pants with jogger style elastic at the bottom of the pant legs. My initial thought was: humanity is doomed.

Deleted
    The only question here is:

Do you want the job?

If so, listen. If not, keep dressing inappropriate.

@Ellieg Khaki's, collared shirt tucked in, jeans on friday, and tennis shoe's on days I workout so I don't change shoes that day. My Boss and above all wear dress slacks and ties. The President who gets the final say wears three piece suits twice a week.

- - - Updated - - -

@Shiift I am wearing ties, I just think it is silly I have to.

- - - Updated - - -

@klogaroth Yeah the President doesn't like to give raises. My boss gave up a portion of his raise to give me more the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd57 View Post
    @Ellieg Khaki's, collared shirt tucked in, jeans on friday, and tennis shoe's on days I workout so I don't change shoes that day. My Boss and above all wear dress slacks and ties. The President who gets the final say wears three piece suits twice a week.

- - - Updated - - -

@Shiift I am wearing ties, I just think it is silly I have to.

- - - Updated - - -

@klogaroth Yeah the President doesn't like to give raises. My boss gave up a portion of his raise to give me more the last few years.
    Gotcha. Ya sounds similar to me. I guess if your bosses wear ties you probably should as well. Sucks to find out about it this way. Also id recommend bringing a change of shoes. Women and bosses pay a lot of attention to shoes, more so than you would think. If the shoes aren't right, it can ruin the whole outfit. I don't know what your shoes look like, but basic tennis shoes with khakis and a tucked in collared shirt would stand out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I wear ripped skinny jeans, usually with opaque coloured (purple or black or both) or patterned (spiderweb!) tights under them, a skinny t shirt and hoody or knitted jumper. I normally have a white coat over that, so doesn't really matter. I'm a terrible person to ask about this. I think if you're good enough at what you do, and are nice and positive and helpful, people tend to give less of a shit.
    lab coats are the best thing ever if you are somewhere where a shirt and tie is expected. You only need to iron the collar and top of the chest

Quote Originally Posted by Tarhealz View Post
    This person gets it.

EDIT: As do a few others... good to see some common sense around here.
    I am not saying I can't do it, but just complaining that I have too. If they told me, "You can have the job but you have to wear a tie", then "yes sir, will do". If they tell me, "you can't have the job because you don't wear a tie and the company doesn't require you too," then I will make a whiny post on MMO-Champ and wear a tie the next day. However, one is a double standard.

O-well, been wearing ties for 4-weeks now.

- - - Updated - - -

Kenneth Cole $89
    I wouldn't be caught dead in that outfit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd57 View Post
    I wouldn't be caught dead in that outfit.
    looks like he is about to appear in court and his shoes were taken by the forensics team.

Man I really feel for you I loathe wearing a suit, absolutely loathe it! It's highly uncomfortable, archaic and some sort of capitalist uniform necessary to sacrifice individuality to fit in. If someone wants to wear a suit and be "smart" be my fucking guest but I hope to god I never have to wear a suit again. Ever.

In this thread, we condone judging people on their appearance.

In the next thread over, we'll call people bigots for doing the exact same thing.

Carry on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    In this thread, we condone judging people on their appearance.

In the next thread over, we'll call people bigots for doing the exact same thing.

Carry on.
    I always judge people based on what they look like regardles of thread.