Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    I hate having to run errands when I am dressed for work. Sales types make a fucking bee line for me every time.... For some reason when I go to the bank on a Saturday in either jeans or training/outdoor clothes no bastard tries to sell me a pension while I wait in line. Judgemental fuckers

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd57 View Post
    This is more of a rant than anything else.

My boss's boss is retiring at the end of the year. It is his plan to recommend that my boss replace him and I replace my boss. Unfortunately the person that decides this thinks that I do not dress professionally even though my work is more than satisfactory, thus I am undeserving of the job. I understand image plays an important role in business especially for first time meetings. I adhere to the dress code, but do not "rise" above it like management. My problem is that after 10 years of working at my company, my work isn't enough to be considered for the job. My ego isn't so inflated that I continued to dress the same way. I have been in a tie since hearing the news, but it still pisses me off.

I know upper management is pleased with my work based on reviews, but to think that dress code should matter more than quality of work is still frustrating especially when I adhere to the company wide dress code and not the upper management's personally dress code. Maybe if I were moving into management it would matter, but after this guy retires we are making the "department" 2 people instead of 3 because the last few years me and my boss have been doing all the work anyways. This is really upsetting because the change in title would come with a raise even though I wouldn't be managing a new person, but if they don't "promote" me to the new title my pay doesn't change.

The Retiree did explain to the hiring manager that my work ethic and quality of work was deserving, but it stlil didn't change his mind.

TLDR: I hate ties and now I have to wear one just to get a raise though ties aren't required in the company handbook.
    Usually, in top tier management I've been told promotion works like this: You do the workload and qualify for the job that you want to seek (this includes dress code) and then they promote you.

It doesn't seem to work like this: I'm good enough, just promote me and I'll show all the qualities that you're looking for, including dress code.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Look up 'enclothed cognition'.

Every one who thinks that 2 people who do exactly the same job at exactly the same pace should be taken for a raise based on what they are wearing are delusional.

You should get a raise based on your performance and performance alone.
    You should wear what ever you wan't as long it isn't 2 revealing and it is clean and you don't stink like a hobo.

Everything else is a pompose shit that people think they need to do to get a raise.
    Cloths are to keep you from getting cold and to not walk around naked they do not increase your productivity in any way unless we are speaking about sports where diffrent cloths could have some need to be worn.

It sickens me that people are so stuck up...

10+ Year Old Account
    I work in a small collection agency, there's literally 10 people who work here. My boss requires us to dress business casual, no ties, but black/brown slacks and a dress shirt 4/5 days a week, as do a half-day on fridays and get to dress casual (whatever we want as long as don't look like total shit). What I wear literally means fuck all for my job. I rarely see anyone in person and while they make us handle walk-ins on our accounts, it's a separate part of the office and the staff there could easily handle it. However, the boss says I gotta dress this way so I do. I want to stay on his good side, so I do.

So, much as it sucks, if the only thing holding you back from moving up the ladder is what one of your bosses thinks of the way you dress: fix it and get the promotion. Provided they're not asking you to wear a tu-tu and clown shoes, who gives a fuck?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Do you go fully suited, or shirt and tie?

Shirt and tie.

A suit would stand out way too much. Even our director keeps it at the shirt and tie barring casual fridays.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2016-02-06 at 08:12 PM.

I don't envy you. Being able to go to work in a T, jeans, and sandals is one of the things I love about working in high-tech. I personally hate business dress. Feels archaic and pointless. In my opinion as long as you're not half naked (or worse), you should be able to wear what you want and let your performance in your job dictate if you deserve a raise / promotion or not

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Shirt and tie.
    Take a suit jacket with you, and wear it going to and from work. People will treat you even better, it's great.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Stop looking like a soup sandwich and maybe people will take you seriously.
    Hate to break it to you OP, but this is the truth. It's not even that they don't take YOU seriously, rather, they question if YOU take YOURSELF seriously. Dressing casually just tells people you really don't give a fuck.

Regardless, business dress looks badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Xjev View Post
    having to wear ties is a bit extreme
    No, no it's not. Why do you think so? Are you someone who thinks ties are all tight? Learn to put them on properly, they add a bunch of flare and don't choke you and you look awesome.

Whine whine whine.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Take a suit jacket with you, and wear it going to and from work. People will treat you even better, it's great.
    A suit would stand out way too much. Even our director keeps it at the shirt and tie barring casual fridays.

A suit jacket though, would be the right touch. Now my next payday needs to come sooner.

Deleted

A suit jacket though, would be the right touch. Now my next payday needs to come sooner.
    Buy a suit and get 2 pairs of the trousers seeing as you will wear them much more. win win.

10+ Year Old Account

You don't have to wear it at work, just use it instead of a normal coat when going to and from work.

Unless you live somewhere cold, then you're probably best off wering something a bit thicker.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    In this thread, we condone judging people on their appearance.

In the next thread over, we'll call people bigots for doing the exact same thing.

Carry on.
    Your skin color and how you dress are kinda two completely different things.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, I don't wear any dresses.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose