Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Border agent: 'We might as well abolish our immigration laws altogether'

Taken from: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bo...rticle/2582401 but of which this particular border agent who is the President of the National Border Patrol Council testified to the House Judiciary Committee, Subcommittee on Immigration and Border Security today:

http://judiciary.house.gov/_cache/fi...ony-2.4.16.pdf

As I was in church this past Sunday, my mind was preoccupied about this hearing and my testimony. I was thinking about what I could say to help shed light on our current situation when one of the basic tenets of my religion’s faith came to mind:" We believe in being subject to Kings, presidents, rulers and magistrates in obeying, honoring and sustaining the law.”

All religions, that I’m aware of, believe in rules, tenants and commandments. It’s no different with the laws of the United States; persons, whether citizens or not, follow the laws of this great nation, peace and prosperity abound. However, when those laws are broken on a large scale; chaos is the byproduct. And make no mistake, chaos defines parts of our southwest border today.

Human and narcotics smugglers are constantly evolving to maintain or grow their profits. Unlike the Border Patrol, these criminal cartels operate without bureaucratic red tape. Cartels do not have to coordinate their efforts with the U.S. Attorney’s Office, the Enforcement and Removal Office, Health and Human Services, or the Office of Civil Rights. Instead, the cartels see a problem and change their operations almost immediately. At the Border Patrol, it can take over a year to adapt.

In the late 1990s as a young Border Patrol Agent, I witnessed first-hand how adept these criminal cartels were at exploiting our policies. While I was working in the Buttercup Dunes in the remote California desert, smugglers would drive their products across the United States/Mexico International Boundary, easily making it to Interstate 8 just a few hundred yards away. In almost all cases the smugglers would drive west towards El Centro, California. If we attempted to stop the vehicle, the smugglers would drive across the median and continue west in the eastbound lanes and into oncoming traffic. At night it was worse, the smugglers would turn their headlights off as they drove into the oncoming traffic. The moment they crossed the median and began driving into oncoming traffic, we had to immediately terminate our pursuit.

The policy was that it was better for narcotics and illegal immigrants to enter the United States without apprehension than to put the general public at risk of vehicle accidents. Whether you believe this policy was sound or not, it was a policy that was exploited by the cartels. It took years for the Border Patrol to install vehicle barriers in this area and stop these drive throughs from taking place. During that time the cartel more or less operated with impunity.

Similarly, in the early 1990s, El Paso, Texas, and San Diego, California, were ground zero for illegal immigration into the United States. It was easy for drug smugglers and human traffickers to make a quick sprints across the border and immediately get lost in the larger population. In an effort to control these major corridors, the Border Patrol concentrated the vast majority of its manpower and resources on these two areas. No one thought smugglers would adapt by moving their operations to the inhospitable deserts of Southern Arizona. Nothing however could be further from the truth and the scale of illegal immigration in Arizona from 1998 through 2010 was unprecedented.

Another example was the 500 pound marijuana smuggling threshold the U.S. Attorney’s office imposed on the Border Patrol in the mid-2000s. Due to prosecutorial discretion, Border Patrol Agents were not allowed to refer for prosecution anyone who smuggled or attempted to smuggle less than 500 pounds of marijuana into the country. Not surprisingly we started making quite a few 480 pound seizures.

Today our largest trouble area is in Texas. Criminal cartels are once again proving adept at understanding and working around our policies. Late in the year of 2013 and throughout all of 2014, an unprecedented number of unaccompanied minors entered our country illegally through the Rio Grande Valley Sector of operations. Instead of presenting themselves legally at Ports of Entry and asking for asylum, the unaccompanied minors were forced by the cartels to enter illegally at dangerous points along the border. In most cases, these minors were not trying to escape or evade apprehension, they were simply crossing the border illegally and giving themselves up.

The cartels understood that the unaccompanied minors would force the Border Patrol to deploy Agents to these crossing areas in order to take the minors into custody. I want to stress this point because it has been completely overlooked by the press. The unaccompanied minors could have walked right up to the Port of Entry and asked for asylum. Why did the cartels drive them to the middle of the desert and then have them cross over the Rio Grande only to surrender to the first Border Patrol Agent they came across? The reason is that it completely tied up our manpower and allowed the cartels to smuggle whatever they wanted across our border.

The creating of holes in Border Patrol operations was only one benefit to the cartels by the unaccompanied minor surge. The other was the exploration of our “catch and release” policy. As this surge became too much to handle, the Border Patrol and the Enforcement and Removal Office began releasing nearly everyone we arrested.

I believe this release allowed the cartels to increase their smuggling profits. With catch and release, the cartels could credibly say to potential customers that they would be able to remain in the United States without fear of deportation as long as they asked for asylum upon being apprehended. Although the problem began with unaccompanied minors, as word quickly spread of everyone being released, we started to see more crossings of complete family units, leading to a bigger problem than what we had in 2014. And once again we are playing catchup to a problem that in part we created through policy.

All individuals that were released during this period of time were given an official document that ordered them to appear before an immigration judge at some future date. These orders are called Notices to Appear (NTA). The only problem, however, is that these official orders are usually ignored; so much so that Border Patrol Agents have dubbed them Notices to Disappear. The latest data that I have seen shows that approximately 40 percent of the individuals being issued NTAs do not show up.

The willful failure to show up for court appearances by persons that were arrested and released by the Border Patrol has become an extreme embarrassment for the Department of Homeland Security. It has been so embarrassing that DHS and the U.S. Attorney’s office has come up with a new policy.

Simply put, the policy makes mandatory the release, without an NTA, of any person arrested by the Border Patrol for being in the country illegally, as long as they do not have a previous felony arrest conviction and as long as they claim to have been continuously in the United States since January of 2014. The operative word in this policy is “claim.” The policy does not require the person to prove they have been here which is the same burden placed on them during deportation proceedings. Instead, it simply requires them to claim to have been here since January of 2014.

Not only do we release these individuals that by law are subject to removal proceedings, we do it without any means of tracking their whereabouts. Agents believe this exploitable policy was set in place because DHS was embarrassed at the sheer number of those who choose not to follow the law by showing up for their court appearances. In essence, we pull these persons out of the shadows and into the light just to release them right back to those same shadows from whence they came.

Let me give you an example from my sector in Montana. Several months ago we arrested an illegal alien with a felony domestic violence arrest from another state. He was released because his trial had not occurred and therefore had not been convicted. Mind you he had not been acquitted either but we had to let him go all the same.

Under the law he should have been set up for removal proceedings, but under the policy he was let go. And he was let go even though he first proved that he cared so little about our laws that he entered the United States illegally, and once here, he proved further disdain by getting arrested for a serious violent act against another. What did we teach him and everyone else he undoubtedly told about his experience? We taught him our laws mean very little, but policies mean everything.

Immigration laws today appear to be mere suggestions. There are little or no consequences for breaking the laws and that fact is well known in other countries. If government agencies like DHS or CBP are allowed to bypass Congress by legislating through policy, we might as well abolish our immigration laws altogether.

I believe it is all our hope that people choose to govern themselves by honoring and sustaining the laws without compulsion. However if they do not, there must be a consequences and an enforcement mechanism that oversees compliance. In the absence of consequences and enforceable laws innocent people are hurt, criminals are rewarded, chaos abounds, and cartels reap huge financial benefits.

I look forward to answering any of your questions.
    All the parts that are in bold are the most important and crucial in his testimony. We have direct confirmation from the top representative of the Border Patrol that the policy down from DHS which of course coordinates with the White House is to basically let anyone in, catch and release with no enforcement and no punishment does not deter anyone and invites everyone.

So with that said can there be any further debate on the complete disregard for our border security by the federal government? In essence what are they even paying the Border Patrol guys for at this point? This man is completely right that when policy overrides laws then people will always find ways to abuse the situation. Is there anyone who can actually justifiably defend this course of action by the DHS?
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Hey look! An idiot said something stupid on the internet.

I know a lot of posters here won't bother to read the entire article.

The inescapable truth is that our border problems are destroying lives in so many different ways.

And should you believe yourself a humanitarian or morally superior ...if you support open border and consequence free illegal immigration policies ...you are neither.

I feel very sorry for all the lives and families damaged or destroyed by the illegal invasion.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    His testimony doesn't seem to line up with actual data.
    https://www.ice.gov/removal-statistics
    ICE conducted 165,935 removals of individuals apprehended at or near the border or ports of entry.3

*3 footnote reads: Approximately 94 percent of these individuals were apprehended by U.S. Border Patrol agents and then processed, detained, and removed by ICE. The remaining individuals were apprehended by CBP officers at ports of entry
    So in 2015 there were nearly 166k people that were apprehended and deported after having just crossed the border (or at a port of entry). His testimony makes it seem as though we haven't deported a single border crosser in a few years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Hey look! An idiot said something stupid on the internet.
    Well we can be glad that there are no idiots here and this stays an idiot free corner of the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    I know a lot of posters here won't bother to read the entire article.

The inescapable truth is that our border problems are destroying lives in so many different ways.

And should you believe yourself a humanitarian or morally superior ...if you support open border and consequence free illegal immigration policies ...you are neither.

I feel very sorry for all the lives and families damaged or destroyed by the illegal invasion.
    Illegal immigration just victimizes the hoenst people who wait in line the most.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    His testimony doesn't seem to line up with actual data.
    https://www.ice.gov/removal-statistics

So in 2015 there were nearly 166k people that were apprehended and deported after having just crossed the border (or at a port of entry). His testimony makes it seem as though we haven't deported a single border crosser in a few years.
    Except his testimony mentions this is a brand new policy, due to the DHS embarassment of having 40% of the people given a Notice to Appear not even bother showing up.

The willful failure to show up for court appearances by persons that were arrested and released by the Border Patrol has become an extreme embarrassment for the Department of Homeland Security. It has been so embarrassing that DHS and the U.S. Attorney’s office has come up with a new policy.

Simply put, the policy makes mandatory the release, without an NTA, of any person arrested by the Border Patrol for being in the country illegally, as long as they do not have a previous felony arrest conviction and as long as they claim to have been continuously in the United States since January of 2014. The operative word in this policy is “claim.” The policy does not require the person to prove they have been here which is the same burden placed on them during deportation proceedings. Instead, it simply requires them to claim to have been here since January of 2014.

Not only do we release these individuals that by law are subject to removal proceedings, we do it without any means of tracking their whereabouts. Agents believe this exploitable policy was set in place because DHS was embarrassed at the sheer number of those who choose not to follow the law by showing up for their court appearances.
    So that does allow for those figures the ICE reports to have actually occured while still bringing into existence this specific new policy.

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Illegal immigration as well as the transportation of illicit substances and/or cargo are definitely problems we face as a nation. Problems a simple wall isn't going to fix. No, problems like this are really only resolved by taking force and ensuring that Mexico is the kind of place Americans want to be.

What I'm saying is.... We need to invest... In Mexico.

That or invade. But let's be honest, they mean the same thing.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    Illegal immigration as well as the transportation of illicit substances and/or cargo are definitely problems we face as a nation. Problems a simple wall isn't going to fix.
    It wouldn't be a simple wall but a modern one with motion detection and so forth.
    Don't pretend it doesn't work if it does make plausible why it is a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Invite Mexico to join the union. Problem solved.
    Yeah, if only they weren't involved in what amounts to a civil war with drug cartels that have the firepower equivalent of small countries.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    It wouldn't be a simple wall but a modern one with motion detection and so forth.
    And the Mexicans are going to pay for it before or after you rope them all in to build it?

Are you going to get Microsoft to install the motion detection cameras too? Could totally market the wall, allow these corporations to indent their logos on the concrete walls in a way that makes it difficult to climb.

Could totally fund it if you had enough corporate backing, could offer jobs all along the border and be a boon to town border economy. It would be brilliant.

Except for the fact it's a wall stretching a border along the second largest state's ass crack and a few other states as well requiring thousands of hours of man power to build, regulate and maintain while probably costing American taxpayers a few hundred billion. Could always take it out of the military budget though. That seems smart.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Don't pretend it doesn't work if it does make plausible why it is a bad idea.
    Maybe we should take a page from the Romans, just have a 20 mile deep 'crucifixion' zone around the border. Anyone caught crossing illegally gets posted as a warning sign in the desert.

- - - Updated - - -

And the Mexicans are going to pay for it before or after you rope them all in to build it?
    Well, we could just take all the people who are caught attempting to cross the border, and put them to work building the wall, kinda like how the Chinese built their wall.
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Border enforcement just needs to be properly staffed and supported with appropriate policies with enough room to adapt to the cartels' adaptions. It's pretty clear from the guys testimony that the major issue they're facing is red tape and the cartels exploiting the policies to snake their way through or to mitigate any problems that occur from being caught.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Yeah, if only they weren't involved in what amounts to a civil war with drug cartels that have the firepower equivalent of small countries.
    USMC would eat the cartels alive if set loose on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    USMC would eat the cartels alive if set loose on them.
    I suppose we could take all the prisoners and put them to work on the wall, or crucify them.

Deleted
    The US has enough diplomatic leverage to make that happen you would however have to bribe them by another channel to do so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe we should take a page from the Romans, just have a 20 mile deep 'crucifixion' zone around the border. Anyone caught crossing illegally gets posted as a warning sign in the desert.
    I mean that would work... If all the residents of Mexico were alien mutant zombies that have no shred of humanity left and are ravaging at our borders.

Then again at that point, we could just assemble the Avengers and take care of Mexico, Artificial Intelligence and cold fusion in the next 5 years! I love comic book logic when in reference to real life.

Are there people that really think that living in Mexico is like living in the Walking Dead universe?

- - - Updated - - -

The US has enough diplomatic leverage to make that happen you would however have to bribe them by another channel to do so.
    By diplomatic leverage, you mean "Do this for us or we'll invade your country" or "Do this for us or we'll ruin your economy" or "Do this for us or we'll bring democracy to your foreign lands"?

Deleted
    By diplomatic leverage, you mean "Do this for us or we'll invade your country" or "Do this for us or we'll ruin your economy" or "Do this for us or we'll bring democracy to your foreign lands"?
    No actual economic ties.
    Mexico has a priviledged trading position.

You use leverage to get them on the table but then you will have to bribe them.
    We pay for the wall but we get x in return.

Mexico has a negative trade balance with the US they are basically your customer but that still doesn't change
    the fact that they are the smaller party in any deal.

The pricetag for making Mexico pay for it would be higher then directly paying it but it is certainly possible.
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2016-02-04 at 09:30 PM.

Are there people that really think that living in Mexico is like living in the Walking Dead universe?
    When Ted Cruz is elected God Emperor, he will reclaim the wastelands of the south.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Invite Mexico to join the union. Problem solved.
    Absorb all North American countries and increase the military with the extra resources.

10+ Year Old Account
    When Ted Cruz is elected God Emperor, he will reclaim the wastelands of the south.
    I'll believe it after he is finished listening to Donald Trump whine about him cheating at the primaries or something.