Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorehowl View Post
    its history, not math. you can pretend all you want that wages and inflation arent connected, doesnt make it true.
    Please go on, keep in mind that wages practically stagnated for the past ~30 years while inflation didn´t.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    For one, if people went to school, got promoted, and still has a salary of $15 an hour, then I'd reconsider my priorities. By school I sure hope you dont mean college. College and $15 an hour? Jeez.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    and then inflation on goods and services hits soon after and everyone wonders why they still cant afford stuff then demand minimum wage get raised again.
    If Walmart paid their employees $13/hr it would raise their prices about 2 cents on average. The cost of labor associated with many products is low compared to the production and shipping costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    For one, if people went to school, got promoted, and still has a salary of $15 an hour, then I'd reconsider my priorities. By school I sure hope you dont mean college. College and $15 an hour? Jeez.
    If prices go up in relation to your $15 an hour, it's a wash. You pay $400 a month rent, rent goes up to $500 for example.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    If Walmart paid their employees $13/hr it would raise their prices about 2 cents on average. The cost of labor associated with many products is low compared to the production and shipping costs.
    2 cents a product?

Think about how many products and sales walmart has for a second - that's a huge chunk off the profit margin. And lower profit mean smaller bonuses for the executives, which is a big no no.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If prices go up in relation to your $15 an hour, it's a wash. You pay $400 a month rent, rent goes up to $500 for example.
    Based on what? How many employees does a landlord have?
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Now lets all assume Sanders becomes the president. Lets also assume that he is able to accomplish his goal of raising minimum wage to 15 dollars an hour.

How exactly is that fair to the people who are already making 15 dollars an hour? Those people worked hard to get to that hourly wage by going to school and climbing the ranks at their job. A teenage kid with no work experience will be making as much as those people who worked for that 15 dollars an hour. Just a good question I think that I wish someone would ask Sanders.
    Better question... what are you going to do with the massive amounts of small businesses that will shut down?

The $15/hour minimum wage outcry started in New York and California, where cost of living is ridiculous. You jack prices up in places where cost of living is much lower and small businesses will either shut down or the cost of goods and services will go sky high.

Cost of living isn't one-price-fits-all across the country, but nobody seems to be considering this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    There wages will also go up but not by the same %. But there wages will still go up.
    I can't say I've ever seen my pay go up when minimum wage did. More realistically, I expect wages to stay about the same with very minimal change as the middle class slides closer to lower class levels of living. We're realistically moving back towards the rich feudal lords and the poor peasants with nothing in between.

Sanders gets into the oval office. Raises minimum wage to $15. Everyone else who was above minimum wage also demands a wage increase.

Companies mass fire their employees because profits plummet. Sanders makes millions jobless.

Oh, right, I forgot, the ones that do somehow manage to keep their job enjoy a 60% tax now.

So, if the state minimum was was $7.75 and you worked you way up (or if the position itself just starts at) $15 currently, do people think that position will suddenly increase to $22.25? In the fairy-tell world that should technically be the case since the $15 is $7.25 above the minimum wage, but sadly, I think there will be a whole 'lotta burger flippers/cashiers (see: jobs monkeys can do) making the same as managers.

I know right? How can those stinking casuals feel like they're entitled to the same rewards as elite raiders?

Quote Originally Posted by Yelawolf View Post
    Sanders gets into the oval office. Raises minimum wage to $15. Everyone else who was above minimum wage also demands a wage increase.

Companies mass fire their employees because profits plummet. Sanders makes millions jobless.

Oh, right, I forgot, the ones that do somehow manage to keep their job enjoy a 60% tax now.
    Walmart faced a lot of pressure to raise employee wages. They did and laid off like 20,000 people. The remaining workers are expected to work much harder than they did in the past.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelawolf View Post

Because companies are known to employ people they don´t actually need.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Because companies are known to employ people they don´t actually need.
    Companies are known to fire people just to hire fresh college students who are cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Sooooo..."worked hard". So if these guys worked hard to get to the 15 dollar job, who says the people below minimum wage do not work hard? Are not exploited. And what about the guy who earns 100 per hour, 500, several 1000. How hard are they working? Because the more you earn, the harder you work and the more you earn it? Like that Martin Shkreli who hitched up the price of a medication after he bought the company that owned it. He is getting filthily rich. Guess he worked hard.
    I think most people equate "worked hard" to "not every monkey can do the job I do", which is true.

Also, why do people think it's not somehow reasonable to believe that if an area (as in state, if a single state went to $15/hr), let alone an entire country, that prices of good will go up? It seems to make zero sense why they wouldn't. Supply stays the same, demand can now dramatically increase.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    Companies are known to fire people just to hire fresh college students who are cheaper.
    That´s a problem for unions, oh wait the US got rid of them too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Funny how 15 dollars minimum wage and rises in price for the little people always seem to be a problem AND you all pour your bile over it, but CEOs, Lobbyists and whatnot other scumbags stuffing their pockets never seems to bother anyone. Example: VW Boss earned 17 Million in 2011. VW paid their 8 top managers 70 million combines in 2011 which was twice as much as in 2010.

Yeah, let us worry about the little man.
    They can´t afford to pay their workers, don´t you see?!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    The way I view it, we should be less upset about the minimum wage going up, than we are about our wages stagnating for decades. If the minimum wage increases, you have solid ground to negotiate your wages since a new base line has been set.
    Aaaand this will hurt small businesses who might not be able to afford the increase for all their employees. Or, the value of the dollar will go down and we will be back at square one.

Also no smart company will just take that hit in their profits. They will increase cost of products and lay people off.

Deleted
    and then inflation on goods and services hits soon after and everyone wonders why they still cant afford stuff then demand minimum wage get raised again.
    This. Increasing wages without an increase in productivity begets only inflation. It's like pouring water in a colander.

Well, the same was doomsayed in Germany when minimum wages were introduced and Germany did not explode. In fact it seems to work pretty well. Now it is your turn to say "You cannot compare Germany to the US"
    Actually, I don't have the slightest clue about Germany. Did the minimum wage, which the majority of workers made/make, go up by almost 100%? The prices of everything stayed almost the exact same? How did situations like someone already making that new 100%? Did thier pay go up 100% as well or were they still making the same as every other low-level employee?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    2 cents a product?

Think about how many products and sales walmart has for a second - that's a huge chunk off the profit margin. And lower profit mean smaller bonuses for the executives, which is a big no no.
    I'm pretty sure you can pass that onto the consumers without losing much business. Most people aren't going to haggle over 2 cents.