Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Did they back off with Belf Paladin lore?

Hey guys,

So I'm running around in Eversong, remembering back in the day how cool it was that Blood Elf Paladins got their power by essentially imprisoning a deity. (Note the word "essentially," don't rage about what exactly the Na'aru are please.) I thought that was a great piece of lore that illustrated the Blood Elves' character quite well; the Beast behind their beauty, if you will.

The whole Lady Liadrin business annoyed me then, and it annoys me now. Still, I'm a little torn: I can understand the desire for lore consistency across classes. However, I feel this has been largely trashed anyway (see: Pandaren Shaman, which have been explained by Blizzard as working through Chi), and it makes me long for the old days.

Do you guys think they normalized Belf paladins because it made them (and the Horde at large?) seem too "evil?" Or do you think it was a genuine, warm-fuzzy story that Blizzard planned to do from the beginning of TBC? If you could change it back to the "old way" of the Blood Knights, would you?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawestruck View Post
    Do you guys think they normalized Belf paladins because it made them (and the Horde at large?) seem too "evil?" Or do you think it was a genuine, warm-fuzzy story that Blizzard planned to do from the beginning of TBC? If you could change it back to the "old way" of the Blood Knights, would you?
    Honestly? No. I do think it was a genuine twist. Blood of the Highborne (Which, i know. Is post-TBC but it was planned to be launched in TBC kinda like Broken) already show the Blood Knights having issues with their behavior. And to be honest. I prefer a more normalized paladin lore that shows that the Blood Elves are not simply jerks that don't have any type of morals instead of just ripping off S.O.L.D.I.E.R from FF7

10+ Year Old Account
    So you want them to be assholes again?

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    I always took Blood Elves to be the "Power above all else" type. Kael'Thas is the extreme of this, of course. It's an archetype I actually admire in a fictional universe, because talk of "justice" and "truth" only get you so far if you're a weakling. Then you just get your Sunwell molested by the Scourge, most of your race exterminated, etc.

So, yeah. I'd be totally on board for the Blood Elves going all, "It's my Light, and I need it now!"

...When did they stop?

They only stole their powers from M'uru until the Sunwell is reignited by Velen after the Kil'Jaeden fight. After that they get their powers from the Sunwell once again.

The starting zone for blood elves (and draenei) should have received a few quext text updates and a change to the odd quest here or there to reflect this change in cataclysm, if not earlier in wrath to reflect the change. But you know how bad 1-60 zones are for reflecting change to lore/storylines at the end of expansions.

The reigniting of the Sunwell also helps with the overall magic/arcane addiction blood elves deal with as a whole as well. It was Arthas' destruction of it in the first place that gave way such reckless disregard for anyone or anything so long as it led to sating their magiclust. Deals with demons, draining it straight out of the ether or whatever the fuck it is Kael'thas is doing in Netherstorm, dragging a Naaru kicking and screaming to the Sunwell. They were fine with just the Sunwell pre scourge invasion (WCIII).

Liadrin apologizes to A'dal for her people's treatment of M'uru, I think she admits they were desperate, but it was no excuse.
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2016-02-06 at 02:41 AM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawestruck View Post
    I always took Blood Elves to be the "Power above all else" type. Kael'Thas is the extreme of this, of course. It's an archetype I actually admire in a fictional universe, because talk of "justice" and "truth" only get you so far if you're a weakling. Then you just get your Sunwell molested by the Scourge, most of your race exterminated, etc.

So, yeah. I'd be totally on board for the Blood Elves going all, "It's my Light, and I need it now!"
    They had power they didn't earn and M'uru made them pay mentally and emotionally. They were pretty nutty.

Quote Originally Posted by warzerotwo View Post
    ...When did they stop?
    2.4 when Liadrin rips her Blood Knight Tabard and joined the Shattered Sun

Then praising the Light with Velen at the end of Sunwell raid

Well the Sunwell has always been an important piece of their culture. Why wouldn't they draw from that. And they are different, lore wise, to other pallys. They would most likely have their own types of spells and techniques originating from the light than humans.

The fact that blood elves had to "steal" the Light to begin with didn't make a lot of sense. I feel like Blizzard just wanted to put something that symbolized Horde getting paladins being important in the story as much as in the game. The priests in Warcraft III were already high elves, and later blood elves. It made perfect sense that they'd simply have paladins.

I thought the redemption was handled pretty well, all things considered, but I still can't get over how unnecessary it was in the first place.
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2016-02-06 at 03:38 AM.

I like that they don't have to be lawful-good like other paladins. Their job is to protect their people by any means necessary, and they don't have to beg the light or be pious to do it. I felt like it made them very distinct from conventional paladins, and I dislike that they (and Sunwalkers) are homogenized with Silver Hand paladins.

BUT, at least they each get their own areas in the Paladin Order Hall. I hope I can set my guards to be Blood Knights wearing Blood Knight tabards though. Honestly, just like Dalaran, the Blood Elves are out of place in the Paladin Order Hall (though not as much as Tauren, poor things). Just a bunch of elves hanging out in a place swarming with humans. Especially weird because I'll be a Blood Elf shedding my Blood Knight awesomeness to be Highlord of the Silver Hand. Meh, I'd prefer Patriarch of the Blood Knight Order.

Kinda wish Blizzard would design the gameplay around the Lore rather than the other way around, but we don't live in a perfect world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Liandrin was mistake. Her goody two shoes makes blood knights so generic and boring. They should be more of bad guys using "good power" and not yet another cliched light worshippers.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Liandrin was mistake. Her goody two shoes makes blood knights so generic and boring. They should be more of bad guys using "good power" and not yet another cliched light worshippers.
    >Implying that original Blood Knights were not cliche in the first place

lol'd
    Last edited by JTHMRulez1; 2016-02-07 at 01:03 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    The entire thing with the Belf blood knights made the class-lore complicated and deep.... Which is something blizzard does not like anymore. Its pretty much the same thing as the Tauren sunwalkers. While the titel is still in the game, the playable tauren-paladin is the same as the human paladin on paper atm.

I dont think they changed it because it made the Belfs too evil, since blizzard have no problem with making horde evil, like with sylvanes and some of the blood magic in the Belf lore. I just think they forgot about building up their lore and then just completly fused the Belf lore together with the other paladin lore, since they could not give a rats ass about the blood knight lore.

- - - Updated - - -

We are really missing some bad-guy users of the light. Its mad, that the only people in the world, that uses the light, uses it for completly good. We need more factions like the scarlet crusade, which use a greater-good concept.

I loved the imprisoned N'aaru idea. Really showed how deep the BE's would go for power. Didn't really like Liandin's epiphany.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    Yes, I want Blood Knights to be different. Like they were back in TBC. Which was pretty awesome in my book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHMRulez1 View Post
    >Implying that original Blood Knights were not cliche in the first place

lol'd
    They were much better than just reskin of humans. Nice color btw. And maymay arrow.

well, we were robbed of our lore in talador, and the order we lead in legion looks to be so human-centric it's stupid.

blood elves and draenei are both in the shitter. look at fucking draenei for christ's sake, whole goddamn expansion they could have used for interesting draenei lore and we didn't get shit but "KILL DE ORCS".

7+ Year Old Account
    They were much better than just reskin of humans. Nice color btw. And maymay arrow.
    >Implying that Blood Knights are reskins humans
    >Implying that ripping off FF7 was better than actual paladins

Arrashi getting mad because of memes. Lol'd x2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHMRulez1 View Post
    >Implying that Blood Knights are reskins humans
    >Implying that ripping off FF7 was better than actual paladins

Arrashi getting mad because of memes. Lol'd x2
    Its more about your "attempts" at humor to be fair. And if blood knights aren't reskin of humans nowadays than what they are ?