Exclamation Shadow Set Dungeon Help Please!

After having spent over a dozen hours on season 5, I just hit 70 this weekend and got the full tier set (Shadow's to be precise). The only two things I have left to do is equip a level 70 legendary in every slot (which I've done, and yet no achieve... does it discriminate against set pieces?) and complete a set dungeon. I just spent half an hour attempting to complete the latter and failed; the skeletons with shields and the elite mobs apparently break your chain meaning you have to skip them entirely and continue looking for necromancers and normal skeletons, which takes quite simply far too much time to complete. (If you hurl an imaple at a skeleton with a shield, they block the attack and since that didn't count as a "hit" your streak breaks. The elite mobs survive the impale and for some reason that breaks the streak despite being hit, so apparently every single impale MUST kill something for it to count). Yes, I followed the guides and have tried out several different setups.

My toon: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/V.../hero/54317047
    (Note that I took off the Wreath Lightning gem and the belt before I went into the dungeon, in case they'd break the chain with their passive damage).

Just something that pops on my mind: are you counting also ricochet hits? Because they have the nasty habit of flagging the mobs as hit but not actually counting for the streak, and when a mob is flagges you cannot "use" it anymore (kinda retarded imho).

Swap for a single target rune like grevious woulds for the set dungeon.

Also iirc the objective consists into hitting X different monsters in a chain without missing, so if you hit one and it doesn't die, you can finish him off with other skills like generators so you won't break the chain.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    From memory I don't think you have to actually master the dungeon to complete chapter 4 of the season journey. So, if that's all you're going for just ignore the impale chaining objective and do the rest.

I mastered this set a bit ago and have the following tips:

1: as Coldkil said have a single target rune equipped (no overpenetration or richochet). Grievous wounds works but it doesn't benefit from the 330% damage - thanks blizz . The extra hits do not chain the bonus damage (only applies to first hit) and so multiple target runes break the chain. Also if you don't one shot the elite it breaks the chain if you impale it again. I have not tested but have read (and again as said by Coldkil) that you can finish them off with bolas and not break the chain - but I would recommend using the envious blade below. Also be careful with the hulking beast teleporting things - if you can hit them right off great but sometimes it is best to wait until after they teleport and then hit them.

2. Equip or cube the legendary dagger "Envious Blade" - obtained from opening bounty caches. This allows you to have a guaranteed crit on full health targets which will allow you to one shot the elites with a decent weapon (doesn't have to be ancient) and crit hit damage (think did with less then 300% but don't recall). If you are using the Envious Blade do not use companion (no bat for hatred) or follower as they can damage things before you one shot them.

3. Hatred generation for chaining impales. Since you want to one shot everything Karlei's Point is useless for hatred. I would use Preperation - Punishment to help keep your hatred up with impales. I also fired off bolas (thunderball for max hatred regen) into nothing so not to accidentally kill targets while getting hatred back. Remember if using Envious Blade no bat companion or templar. Also you can have Vengeance - Seethe equipped but don't use it since the rockets/sidearm attacks can damage/kill things before you can use them for chain impale - use it after the chains are done and you are clearing the rest.

4. For the slowing objective just run into the groups of skeletons before you impale them and activate your shadow power to slow them.

5. Once the chains and slow objectives are done just race around killing everything - make sure no skeletons are hiding in those small dead ends. Also pick an efficient way to go around that loop.

6. If you just want to get it done and don't care about the challenge you can invite a friend to help make sure you clear everything as well as kill elites you don't one shot. You still have to complete the chains and slow yourself but gives you more time leeway to get them done.

I see this thread was from yesterday but hope this helps.

Edit: I forgot the part about the blocking skellies - I did see them block but it did NOT break my chain. I simply had to hit them a second time. Also I had not watched the video before but having done so for me at least Envious Blade made all the difference because if I didn't crit I was not one shotting the elites. Once I got that it was much easier. So I disagree with the video saying that it was not important as well as using the bat companion.

Edit 2: I looked at your profile and recommend changing the ruby in your weapon to an emerald for the crit hit damage boost - it will do more damage overall. In general you want to maintain a 10:1 critical damage to critical chance ratio so looking at your char you would want more crit hit damage which is available on amulets (100), gloves (50), and rings (50) as well as paragon and a few other items that have it specifically. Also I forgot passives which you already had on profile when I checked. Ambush for the larger initial hits (one shots) as well as blood vengeance to help restore discipline/hatred. For the other two I would pick tactical advantage for movement speed as well as steady aim for the small damage boost.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    The only two things I have left to do is equip a level 70 legendary in every slot (which I've done, and yet no achieve... does it discriminate against set pieces?) and complete a set dungeon.
    I apologize, my reading comprehension goes down when I am tired. Forget the above post unless/until you want to master it. Suttie had the right of it. Don't worry about impale chains, just go in with whatever skills/equipment you want as long as you have shadow power and have fun . Just use shadow power (manually activate it) near things before killing them to complete the second objective and stay alive. That objective will update as you slow things so you know how many more you need to hit shadow power near. Kill enough (I didn't have to clear to complete, just kill the minimum while staying alive) and slow enough and you will have completed the dungeon .
    Last edited by Meldetia; 2016-02-09 at 06:25 PM.

Funny enough I did this dungeon today, it's very frustrating and has some bugs actually. It reset on me a couple of times when I didn't even use impale. Very buggy and random. Things that really help:

-dismiss your follower, I got resets so many times due to my follower one shotting something just as I used impale
    -get rid of all area damage stats on gear and paragon
    -use a cubed 100% crit dagger (envious blade)
    -used the burns impale rune, lets you see who you hit and will finish people off for you if they are shielded
    -learn a route. I made a screenshot of the map and put it on my 2nd monitor as I went through.
    -take bat companion and preparation for the hatred refills
    -use the free vault rune alternating with shadow power, with tactical advantage, for almost constant huge speed boost
    -you have to activate shadow power near monsters for the slow to count, the base slow aura on SP doesn't count to the objective
    -don't impale the big guys until you see them teleport
    -finish people off with your generator, the hunter's wrath belt is useful for this.

I found that once I kinda learned the route and could just concentrate on hitting things it was just a matter of making sure I killed enough of them before the time limit.
    Last edited by lolpve; 2016-02-10 at 09:05 PM.