10+ Year Old Account

Emphasis on class fantasy in Legion... (Mage specifically) [no spoilers present]

Blizzard keeps talking about how they want to emphasize class fantasy in Legion. From what I've seen, they've been doing a pretty great job of it too.

One thing I always wanted on the Mage class was equivalent spells with different themes. They finally started adding them in the last couple expansions, but it seems as though they're becoming less of a thing now. What I mean is, if you were an arcane mage you still used frost nova, ice block, and countless other obviously FROST themed spells, and it was the same for fire mages. Last expansion (I think) they added supernova, (which was the arcane replacement for frost nova), and they added blast wave, (which was the fire equivalent for frost nova). These changes were AWESOME, and exactly what I'd been wanting for a long time. Unfortunately, I believe they never added other themed replacements for ice block, though.

Now what I'm seeing in Legion mage changes is.. That supernova is nerfed, but it's a separate arcane ability, and arcane mages still have normal frost nova... Which means, at least in my opinion, the class fantasy for each mage spec is becoming less emphasized, and that makes me sad. Why undo work they've already done to mage each spec feel unique? I'd really love it if they all had their own themed abilities, even if the moves didn't change anything but names and aesthetics. Even adding minor glyphs or scrolls (like the polymorph scrolls) would be an easy way for them to do it.

Anyways, what do you all think? Anyone with me? Anything we can try to do about it? Anything I somehow missed that disproves the things I'm saying?

Deleted
    Blast Wave has been around since the beginning.

But yes, it'd be nice to get different versions of the same spell depending on the spec. But it's low-priority for them, so I don't think they consider it worth the extra work.

I'd have to agree/disagree. Arcane having more arcane spells is cool. Or frost with frost/fire with fire.

But not all spells should be like that, it's still the same class so there should be a tiny bit of spells that all specs use. They aren't separate classes after all and it is class fantasy.

One a related subject, I've always wanted a minor glyph that turned all fire spells into blue/white fire. One of the reasons I hardly play fire is because I get tired of seeing all the red and orange on my screen all the time.

Hmm, I see your point, but I personally prefer a small, core toolkit shared by all 3 specs that would, ideally, have at least 1 spell from each spec type. I get the impression that mage specs represent their area of study, their university degree, if you will. So they're focused on one area in particular, but they've all received a similar general education - ie, the basics of fire, frost, and arcane.
    Last edited by Bigthumbb; 2016-02-05 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    One a related subject, I've always wanted a minor glyph that turned all fire spells into blue/white fire. One of the reasons I hardly play fire is because I get tired of seeing all the red and orange on my screen all the time.
    I don't get bored of the fire visually but I have the same wish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigthumbb View Post
    Hmm, I see your point, but I personally prefer a small, core toolkit shared by all 3 specs that would, ideally, have at least 1 spell from each spec type. I get the impression that mage specs are sort of their area of study, their university degree, if you will. So they're focused on one area in particular, but they've all received a similar general education - ie, the basics of fire, frost, and arcane.
    From what I've read in the books/elsewhere, specialized mages are not as common as you'd think. That's largely just because of game mechanics/easier to populate monster mobs. (And over HERE we'll take some elves and give them blue robes and call them FROSTWIZARDS.) It seems most mages use a strong mix of all the schools, which makes sense. You'd need a solid understanding of arcane to use frost/fire the way mages do, and frost and fire both have tools in them that are useful for any mage. Plus, mages are about knowledge--knowing as much as possible--and resourcefulness--using the tools they have smartly and wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden View Post
    I agree with your fatigue from all the red and orange fire visuals. My solution, however, would probably be to add in the blue flame look to a couple of big spells. A lot of people love pyroblast, but I've never understood that, since when I cast pyroblast all I really see is a bigger fireball. However, add in some blue flame around the edges of its animation, and I think that would really drive home the exceptional power (and heat) the spell is supposed to convey.

Another area of opportunity would be Combustion, which needs an animation anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    On another note, I really hope we can glyph that giant floating fire orb away from being at our character's shoulder at all times. Either that or I'm no longer playing fire spec. -_- Very ugly and lame. I don't like pets following me on warlock, hunter, or mage. I don't like obnoxious fire orbs either. If I even main my mage anymore in Legion it seems I'll be going arcane.

Quote Originally Posted by Airique View Post
    On another note, I really hope we can glyph that giant floating fire orb away from being at our character's shoulder at all times. Either that or I'm no longer playing fire spec. -_- Very ugly and lame. I don't like pets following me on warlock, hunter, or mage. I don't like obnoxious fire orbs either. If I even main my mage anymore in Legion it seems I'll be going arcane.
    but frost mages have a huge water elemental following you

It's somewhat stupid the way mages got their spec names. All kind of mages uses arcane, it's literally what the magic is. Then they can add different effects to it like conjuring it to fire or frost based spells.

The Eight Schools of Arcane Magic are;

Abjuration - Protective magic like shields

Conjuration - Conjuring like food or elementals

Transmutation - Changing and manipulating time and beings, like polymorph.

Evocation - Focusing one's mind to tap into unseen and stronger powers

Divination - See something far away, scrying, reading minds

Illusion - Creating illusions of either the are around you, or yourself

Enchantment - Creation of runes or simply enchantments that can keep a permanent or temporary magical effect on you, like tattoos

Necromancy - Raising dead

All of this is tied to arcane.

"Frost" or "Fire" or "Arcane" mage sounds so very dumbed down, because every mage uses arcane and conjure it to different elements. It would have been different if it was called "Pyromancer" and "Hydromancer" or something.

Class Fantasy is why Mages are losing Ice Block as a base line spell.

Ok blizz...good one.

If Blizzard wanted Defensive CDs to represent Class Fantasy, explain why Arcane Mage gets GI but the other two specs get regular Invis. Frost should have Ice Block and Fire receive Cauterize with that logic.

Class Design is an absolute mess across the board right now. I know some specs are starting to come together (In particular the Shaman DPS ones), but Mages are way off the mark for where they should be - which is probably why there's still no Frost or Arcane on Alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by Airique View Post
    One thing I always wanted on the Mage class was equivalent spells with different themes.
    ... why? Isn't it boring to know that the only thing that changes when you change spec is the color of your spells, and a slight variation in effect that eventually end up being the same?

One of the reasons I mainly play hybrid classes are because I rarely get bored, because most play styles are vastly different. On the other side of the spectrum we currently have mages, hunters and rogues, who are essentially the same disregarding the spec. Out of all the pure DPS classes only Warlock's specs are different enough to be worth switching between to avoid boredom.

The changes in legion so far is amazing, imho. Hunters being developed into one melee, one petless and one "standard" spec is one of the most interesting decisions they have made with the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Blast Wave has been around since the beginning.
    Not quite the beginning.

Personally I think neutering baseline abilities is the way to go in terms of building strong Spec Fantasy.

Fire Mage should feel like you're a crazy Blood Mage / Pyromancer and you're just setting everyone and everything on fire like some arson wizard. Wouldn't be very appropriate IMO if they could Ice Block.

Likewise, Frost Mage should be a Cryomancer that feels like you're hitting shit with ice and freezing things and slowing things down and just being cold as hell.

Arcane Mages feel good ATM, reminds me of D2 Wizards.