Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    The use of foul languge in and of itself isn't the problem to me. The problem I have with the people use foul langauge normally falls in only one of two classes "the person who doesn't KNOW how to properly use foul langauge" and "the person who over uses it just for the sake of using it".

Both make for very boring communications. The value in a well placed F bomb for example is both in its delivery (context) and the amount of "shock" factor or emphaisis it lends to whatever point being made.

Consider this...if you have two friends...one uses foul words as everything from commas to periods when they talk..every other word is cuss word regardless what they are talking about - heck even when they are happy. Then you have another friend who rarely ever cusses and you can count how many times he/she has dropped an audible F bomb on one hand in the past year.

Now tell me -- both your friends explode over an issue....who's use of language is going to grasp your attention stronger -- the person who you are used to cuss constantly or when that other friend that never cuss blasts a big cuss word at you?

Then like I said its also the context of the words being used. The spoken word is an art form that few people understand, its like comedy you over use the same joke it gets less funny each time....well cuss words are meant to alert or exclaim....over use them to much the effect wears out.

Btw I don't agree with little kids being encouraged or taught to cuss....I'd say at least to 13 try and provide them at least some measure of innocence however small.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dexx View Post
    The bad language filter is optional already isnt it?
    Yeah this. Just turn off the filter and forget about it. I've had it off for years and I sometimes forget there even was a filter.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by guardian_titan View Post
    Grow up. We don't need swears to prove our point. They're nothing but hate speech that are used to demean others.
    You're confusing swear-words with slurs, they're two very different things with very different purposes. Swearing can have many purposes, the nuances of it are highly context relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to see people swearing, turn off the filter.

I really don't see an issue.

I leave it on because seeing a bunch of random symbols when people try to insult you or some other person is just freakin' hilarious.

"YOU @$%^ING ^$%& LICKING SON OF A #%$#@S #&@*%! YOU THINK YOU"RE A $&%(ING MAN BECAUSE YOU #&$*%ING KILLED ME?! THAT WAS MY $*%(ING ALT YOU RETARDED #&$*-DIVING MOTHER$(%*ER!"

I mean, what the hell is funnier than that? I sometimes count the symbols and try and guess what word they said. It's a fun little game.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2016-02-10 at 01:50 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    They should remove it for sure.

If my maths teacher can walk into class and call everyone a 'Fucking bumboy' then I want to swear in an MMO.
    They shouldn't remove it till people can actually grow up.

Around the schools I've been at, teachers haven't used swearing during classes.

I would love to see the filter gone, but demands a lot of work on the players.

As said, I don't mind people yelling things and saying things, if there's a reason to. But because they can, or for insults, then is quite useless and low minded.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Foronification View Post
    You haven't experienced abuse until you've experienced it first hand from an Australian.

Ask an angry Australian anything.
    Dont they deal with it by slaming people to the ground zangief style?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    They shouldn't remove it till people can actually grow up.
    ...Why is it a thing that would need to be removed?

If you want it removed, just turn it off.

This is one of the biggest non-issues I've seen on this forum. And that's saying something.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foronification View Post
    You haven't experienced abuse until you've experienced it first hand from an Australian.

Ask an angry Australian anything.
    'straya here. Can confirm you haven't felt abuse until a seething aussy is calling you "Mate"
    Wrath baby and proud of it

I've never been banned once for swearing in-game, but I also think that the current rule system is odd.

I don't understand why I can potentially be banned for using a word that does or should get picked up by the filters. If someone finds the language offensive or too vulgar for their tastes, there's a filter that's on by default when they log on for the first time. If they've turned it off, manually, then it's not my problem.

I do agree that circumventing the filter should be bannable, though. That or something like ERPing in public channels.
    Signature and Avatar by maybenotquiteasheavy!

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Depends how you define foul language. I've seen grade A racism and hate towards women in general chats, not exactly something I prefer to look at while playing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Its common now. Teachers use it around students. Students say it around their peers. If Garrosh can call Sylvanas a bitch which is a highly offensive term towards women, why can't I call someone a bitch when the average troll calls me one first?
    So

You got a temp ban today, eh?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by G3istly View Post
    You seem to be forgetting that we pay for their house so we should be allowed to say what we like especially considering they have a feature to block these "offensive" words.
    Paying $15 is a rental fee for your character, that's it. You are actually not entitled to smear shit on the walls while you're in there, any more than $15 at the movie theater entitles you to be a neanderthal there, either. These are the rules you agree to before you even enter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    I think it's funny that you linked this to dispute his point, as it shows that neither you or the people that wrote the article actually bothered to read the study. The title doesn't actually reflect the results. All the study says is that people with a larger vocabulary of swear words tend to have a larger vocabulary in general, and tend to have a better grasp of how to effectively use swear words. This doesn't say they use them more often, just that they use them more effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinexve View Post
    Also it might be the fact that little kids play this game, I mean I started playing in Vanilla when I was like 9.
    Hmm, I don't know. I think a child must be very very stupid to get affected by bad words in a game, and you will learn them sooner or later anyway. I learned bad words in school from other children, and I don't get why people become so offended by bad words anyway. Norwegian TV is now copying American TV and putting **** or "bleep" on bad words.

When I first saw Garrosh call Sylvanas a bitch, I didn't think "oh he didn't" or "think of the children!". Indeed, I'm so tired of this "but what about the children?!?!" bullshit.

I removed the filter to make sure I can talk with my friends without having to repeat something due to a shitty system blocking words. Not so people have free reign to be abusive or to just spit out random swears/slurs in trade chat.

Just like when people do the "Anal [Links]" I will report each and every one of them. Sure, Some of it can be funny, but it's unproductive, inappropriate and frankly I don't want to see it.

But i'm not going to report someone for swearing to emphasize a point.

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Its common now. Teachers use it around students. Students say it around their peers. If Garrosh can call Sylvanas a bitch which is a highly offensive term towards women, why can't I call someone a bitch when the average troll calls me one first? Besides, does it -really- harm people these days? Its just a word, then again bitch is very offensive towards women. Do you think they should remove the barrier? #BombSquad
    Theres a completely difference to bitch or bastard to just about any other profanity such as cunt.

Bastard is born out of wedlock,
    Bitch is a female dog

Both these terms are normally common in any type of history or fantasy based game / films.

If a teacher is using language around students they need to be disciplined, same with students swearing with and at other students (in the primiary to secondary school range ofc, college do what you want)

In term of the game, we have minors playing it, its bad enough some learn to troll or be complete cunts (the irony) without removing a key feature that most are oblivious about. Its there for a reason, and the rest of us as mature adults can decide if we want it on or off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    If a teacher is using language around students they need to be disciplined
    exactly right. you wont see a teacher dropping F & C bombs around students. they save that for staff rooms.
    Hi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    foul language is fucking disgusting. i don't abide by people using it.
    If trying to be clever: Hah!
    If not: You just used the word "fuck", hah! Selfrekt

Quote Originally Posted by penguinzx View Post
    I think it's funny that you linked this to dispute his point, as it shows that neither you or the people that wrote the article actually bothered to read the study. The title doesn't actually reflect the results. All the study says is that people with a larger vocabulary of swear words tend to have a larger vocabulary in general, and tend to have a better grasp of how to effectively use swear words. This doesn't say they use them more often, just that they use them more effectively.
    Oh, I have read it. And I didn't link to (seriously) dispute his point.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche