This months Unicorn build

My wife needs a new computer. She mainly plays WoW and Heroes of the Storm, I'd like the computer to last for a few years of playing those games. I assume the build on MMOc's main page will meet those needs. I don't know how to link the parts.

My question is, what else will I need? I have a good mouse, I'm going to buy her a new keyboard, I assume I need to buy Windows, is that it? Will this really just be plug and play? I've never built a new computer I've only replaced parts in old ones.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    While this is just personal preference, the heatsink does come with thermal paste, but some people will purchase an aftermarket paste. The following link to amazon shows a pretty good aftermarket thermal paste.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00
    I've used it with all of my builds to date. Another thing I can tell you is be patient when applying the compound. It was probably the most frustrating part of building a computer for the first time for me personally. You can find a lot of videos on youtube for applying the paste properly. Also, if anyone else reading this thinks I've said anything wrong, please correct me. I do not claim to be an expert. This is just stuff I've read and heard from others. I do not claim it to be 100% accurate.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no reason to get a different TIM, the Noctua's NT-H1 that the D15 comes with is really good and better than the Arctic silver.
    http://overclocking.guide/thermal-pa...itrogen-ln2/6/

I don't have any videos on the ready, (think some are in the sticky?) in terms of building it but there's youtube guides and such that people have recommended before.

Deleted
    Do you need a monitor as well? Whats the total budget and in what country.

She has two monitors. My budget is basically unlimited but, I'm not trying to build her a top of the line gaming rig, my main goal is something that will be a solid build and last for a few years.

I've been looking at some $3000 laptops and some $ 2000 dollar computers. I am in USA, Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by I4c8e9 View Post
    She has two monitors. My budget is basically unlimited but, I'm not trying to build her a top of the line gaming rig, my main goal is something that will be a solid build and last for a few years.

I've been looking at some $3000 laptops and some $ 2000 dollar computers. I am in USA, Colorado.
    If you are looking at $2000 computers you are basically talking a top of the line gaming rig, especially if you build yourself and it's sole intent is gaming.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($59.90 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 390X 8GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Micro Center)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1152.57
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-10 20:50 EST-0500

If it is only for gaming and nothing else, this will be more than enough to play pretty much anything out there on a 1440p monitor. Add $400-600 for a good 27" 1440p monitor if her current monitors are not 1440p and you still have room in a 2k Budget for nice peripherals as well.

As for you original questions:
    Quote Originally Posted by I4c8e9 View Post
    My question is, what else will I need? I have a good mouse, I'm going to buy her a new keyboard, I assume I need to buy Windows, is that it? Will this really just be plug and play? I've never built a new computer I've only replaced parts in old ones.
    The above and a screwdriver is all you really need. Windows in included. As for plug and play, pretty much. The above build does not include an optical drive, you could add one for $16, reuse/borrow one from an old system or use another PC to create a bootable USB from an .iso which you can create either from the disc you bought or download from Microsoft.

If you've swapped parts and things before, it will be pretty easy. Watch a couple complete build videos to familiarize yourself with stuff first. Once done, install windows, install driver for motherboards LAN from disc if windows did not make it work. Get <browser of choice if not IE> first, then go download latest video card drivers then finally go to motherboards website and download appropriate drivers for your motherboard. That's about all there is to it.

Deleted
    As Lathais said you can make a nice 1440p gaming setup to last you comfortably for a few years with quality parts without going overboard anywhere. Here's another recommendation for you:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($59.90 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($141.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 390X 8GB SOC Video Card ($389.99 @ Micro Center)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($87.95 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($349.00 @ B&H)
    Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid Wired Gaming Keyboard ($75.50 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1745.06
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-11 03:19 EST-0500