Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saft View Post
    I'd imagine it was a large dough kneader above me that doesn't have any safety allowing a stupid person to stick their whole arm in while it's operating. Most machines of that model have metal bars around the moving parts so nobody sticks their body parts in there. If it's the hair that gets stuck you violated pretty much every health and safety rules there are.

The industrial machines like in the OP have a lid that has to be on or the machine won't start and there's no way anything gets in there, it's almost sealed tight save a centimeter and opening the front instantly pauses it. There's no way you can kill yourself unintentionally with them.

That is if you are talking about modern countries and kitchens who have their tech up to standards, plenty of kitchen or other businesses work with machines from the Jurassic era.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    Emergency stop doesn't do much good when you snap your neck before you - or anyone else - get chance to react.
    That's why I said "at the very least". As a stop like that isn't intended for the user to push but for anyone to push.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    I was under the impression that any dangerous machine have a dead-man brake. Or at the very least an emergency stop.
    Emergency stops are everywhere, deadman brakes seem to only exist on moving equipment such as forklifts.

However, I mean, It doesn't always have to be an inconvenient stationary pedal. for something like the dough mixer it could just be something you have to keep pressed under your armpit or something.

But the obvious advantage of a dead-man system is that it automatically stops if the operator becomes incapacitated. But stationary rotating machines never seem to have them, and I mean, like if you get a loose shirt caught in something like an industrial grinder, you're dead. You have no chance of getting anywhere near that emergency stop before it mutilates you.

I think it would probably save a lot of lives by mandating dead-man systems for a broader variety of machinery than just forklifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Every kitchen I've worked in has ALWAYS had slippery floors. Makes me wonder if osha or the health inspectors are gonna give the place a once over.
    Most kitchens require you wear slip resistant shoes. They are not expensive, Walmart has them for under $30.

Way back when I worked in a kitchen for a few years and I quickly learned that these shoes are an absolute requirement to stay safe.

7+ Year Old Account
    If OSHA finds any safety violations, that store is toast.
    You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of Humanity in your hearts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What exactly was the bet I made with the Klingon sex workers?

I hope someone doesn't sig this post...

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Most kitchens require you wear slip resistant shoes.
    Like I said in an earlier post though. If there's oil spatter on the floor and people aren't cleaning it up with a proper alkaline cleaner, and then somebody spills water on top of the greasy floor, suddenly the shoes become useless. Because the water that is stuck on top of the grease isn't slip resistant. So the water can't go down, the water can't go up because your shoe is there, so the water goes sideways, and you're ontop of the water.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DocHibb View Post
    If OSHA finds any safety violations, that store is toast.
    Workplace safety enforcement is a joke in North America. Not going to lie to you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Like I said in an earlier post though. If there's oil spatter on the floor and people aren't cleaning it up with a proper alkaline cleaner, and then somebody spills water on top of the greasy floor, suddenly the shoes become useless. Because the water that is stuck on top of the grease isn't slip resistant. So the water can't go down, the water can't go up because your shoe is there, so the water goes sideways, and you're ontop of the water.

- - - Updated - - -

Workplace safety enforcement is a joke in North America. Not going to lie to you.
    They knead to enforce this stuff more seriously. Ok, enough tasteless bread jokes from me.

It sucks. I haven't had any experiences that were dangerous, but my dad is an electrician, and he's told us stories about how the job foreman was telling him to do things that were clearly extremely dangerous and breaking safety regulations. Luckily he's in a union and will straight up tell them no (probably with some choice words if they keep insisting). Electricity don't play no shit lol.
    You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of Humanity in your hearts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What exactly was the bet I made with the Klingon sex workers?

I hope someone doesn't sig this post...

Quote Originally Posted by DocHibb View Post
    They knead to enforce this stuff more seriously. Ok, enough tasteless bread jokes from me.

It sucks. I haven't had any experiences that were dangerous, but my dad is an electrician, and he's told us stories about how the job foreman was telling him to do things that were clearly extremely dangerous and breaking safety regulations. Luckily he's in a union and will straight up tell them no (probably with some choice words if they keep insisting). Electricity don't play no shit lol.
    Yeah.. I mean if you're working with electricity, once you get into the 100+ amp range you can basically vaporize human tissue in a flash.

Edit: It's like the machine room at my work. Everything is locked by a different key/tool and has a 1 foot long bone on the breaker and if you have to ask why you don't belong anywhere near that room.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2016-02-09 at 06:58 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    That's a BREAD way to go.
    Your joke kneads some workshopping.

Deleted
    These jokes are getting a little stale but I guess you can say she's brown bread in more ways than one.