Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    I'm not as familiar with the mac version, but I'm sure it's very similar to the PC version.

If you open settings, and go into Advanced, under the video section, there should be an option that says x264 CPU Preset. From the dropdown, select faster, and see if that makes a difference. Apologies in advance if the mac version doesn't have those options, my MacBook is at home and I won't be able to verify this until around 5 PM EST. I've streamed with OBS for about a year, and have had to work through a lot of issues with it. Once you figure it out though, it is incredible.

Others have said this already, but Game Capture is ALWAYS better than Window Capture as a video source.

What is your upload speed? I would say that you need a minimum of 5 mbps up to stream at 720 consistently.

This. For the best possible streaming you need a second computer to handle all the heavy lifting. If you're streaming on the same computer you are playing you need to minimize the amount of CPU required by OBS. That means downscaling to 720p, probably 30 FPS and as he said set the x264 to fast or higher.

Just tested my speeds again, results are: Ping:48 ms Download Speed: 58.81 Mb/s Upload Speed: 15.90 Mb/s

Thanks Echelon, The MAC version doesnt have those settings in the advance>video section! We just have colour format, YUV colour space, YUV colour range, whatever they are lol and then 2 check boxes for Disable OSX V sync, reset OSX V sync on exit.
    Glad youve figured it out, maybe ill cry when i finally get it to work properly haha!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    From what I've seen is that it designates a portion of your hardware for the capturing, so you don't have the frames while playing but the designated settings and streaming numbers stay the same no matter what. Most streaming or capture software that I've tried makes the frames shoot down. The most reliable thing I've seen is a capture card used in a different system. It pretty much copies a virtual monitor then the other system does all the crunching while you get minimal frame loss. Changing your capturing rate won't change it since it's a static number, though if you are seeing you have issues with framerate on your stream, this is more of an upload rate issue and should be lowered by frames captured (usually to 30) or by resolution. Most streamers if invested into a very high upload will upload at 1080p and lower usually 720p, if the stream is still lagging or has issues uploading, 520p is fine but will be a bit blurry.

TLDR; It uses a static amount of your hardware. This won't change.

"capture card used in a different system" - Could this work if used on a separate drive at all? i.e external (partition). or am i thinking about something completely different here!?

My upload speed is 15mb, Im using a bit rate of 2500 in OBS, but ive tried lowering to 300 and still the same issue

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedjadey View Post
    Just tested my speeds again, results are: Ping:48 ms Download Speed: 58.81 Mb/s Upload Speed: 15.90 Mb/s

Thanks Echelon, The MAC version doesnt have those settings in the advance>video section! We just have colour format, YUV colour space, YUV colour range, whatever they are lol and then 2 check boxes for Disable OSX V sync, reset OSX V sync on exit.
    Glad youve figured it out, maybe ill cry when i finally get it to work properly haha!

- - - Updated - - -

"capture card used in a different system" - Could this work if used on a separate drive at all? i.e external (partition). or am i thinking about something completely different here!?

My upload speed is 15mb, Im using a bit rate of 2500 in OBS, but ive tried lowering to 300 and still the same issue
    The hard drive really doesn't have anything to do with it. Unless you are saving it to a slow hard drive that's running windows, your game and a bunch of other background things at the same time that actually write to it at the same time. Basically what a capture card would do is you'd have a cable such as HDMI run from your computer you play on to a computer that has the capture card. The computer with the capture card basically gets the frame for frame screen on that system and uses that computer to then compress and upload it to the stream, the only thing your computer would be doing extra is acting as through there's an extra monitor (which it will think the other computer is). The other computer is what uses the hardware... which should be fairly empty, 4gb of ram... windows or something equivalent (supported by the capture card) and a good processor with graphics support.

Deleted
    Let me see if I can compare it for you....

I get the same lag spike issues when i have WoW open and Skype, even if skype is minimised there is a noticeable bit of lag every now and then. its as if there isnt enough RAM or cpu % and theyre both competing for it :/ Any other software i could try?

I know that WoW is very intensive on CPU for Macs, with no thanks to blizzards lazy developers
    Last edited by mmoc07ad0f7051; 2016-02-09 at 06:44 PM.

Unfortunately, they'll all do that and OBS is the best I've seen. If OBS is running when you open skype up and it lags, that could be an issue, if skype just lags your computer when you open it without other software that could be an issue in itself. OBS will always look like it's running smoothly unless you are having very serious issues with wow, sometimes the capture rate with software is better on software than whats being projected on a game.

For software, i've only tried using OBS and Xsplit. OBS is definitely the better of the 2 when it comes to keeping your frames. Xsplit took my wow down from 200fps to 70 at some points (just flying around pandaria). where as OBS takes it down from 200 to 140.

-------
    It's really strange that skype effects your frames at all.
    Last edited by Yamuri; 2016-02-09 at 06:22 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    Unfortunately, they'll all do that and OBS is the best I've seen. If OBS is running when you open skype up and it lags, that could be an issue, if skype just lags your computer when you open it without other software that could be an issue in itself. OBS will always look like it's running smoothly unless you are having very serious issues with wow, sometimes the capture rate with software is better on software than whats being projected on a game.

For software, i've only tried using OBS and Xsplit. OBS is definitely the better of the 2 when it comes to keeping your frames. Xsplit took my wow down from 200fps to 70 at some points (just flying around pandaria). where as OBS takes it down from 200 to 140.

-------
    It's really strange that skype effects your frames at all.
    Damn thats a big fps drop too :s Im going to keep looking into it, maybe learn abit more in depth about the ins and outs of streaming.

Yeah background programs seem to really affect how WoW runs, if i use skype while playing wow i have to minimise skype and it seems to be ok, its just strange that it struggles seen as its not exactly a low spec computer!

my battle tag if anyone wants to play: #jadeofarc1243
    stream (testing obvs lol): www.twitch.tv/jadeofarc

- - - Updated - - -

Hey all, Just a update. I reset all the settings to default. The only thing i then changed was the Output Resi on the Video tab, to 1280x720. My stream has been perfect tonight, no lag spikes or extreme low FPS. Ive had a steady 70 fps and stream has been crystal clear. Im not sure whats going on, although im still suspicious of OBS. Will see how it goes.

Thanks for all the help and replies!

10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like you resolved this, but I've moved it to the computer subforum anyway; it's more appropriate there.

(OBS is great btw)

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Hey all, Just a update. I reset all the settings to default. The only thing i then changed was the Output Resi on the Video tab, to 1280x720. My stream has been perfect tonight, no lag spikes or extreme low FPS. Ive had a steady 70 fps and stream has been crystal clear. Im not sure whats going on, although im still suspicious of OBS. Will see how it goes.

Thanks for all the help and replies!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    It sounds like you resolved this, but I've moved it to the computer subforum anyway; it's more appropriate there.

(OBS is great btw)

For now i think its magically solved its self! Either that or my internet connection the other day was extremely poor, i guess ill never know lol

The most input lag I have ever experienced was not from WoW but from CSGO. I've done a lot of research and have found a solution. I made a YouTube tutorial on it. Let me know if this works for you or if you have any further questions.

Being that I'm new to the forums, they won't let me PM or post links. Do a simple Google search. The title of my video is: 5K iMac - OBS Streaming Setup - Input Lag Fix and my account name is aDallo

Quote Originally Posted by aDallo View Post
    The most input lag I have ever experienced was not from WoW but from CSGO. I've done a lot of research and have found a solution. I made a YouTube tutorial on it. Let me know if this works for you or if you have any further questions.

Being that I'm new to the forums, they won't let me PM or post links. Do a simple Google search. The title of my video is: 5K iMac - OBS Streaming Setup - Input Lag Fix and my account name is aDallo
    You necroed a 4 month old thread. This isn't an issue anymore.