Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winkle View Post
    This is hilarious, everyone's allowed to carry guns but you can't pass a bus, what a ridiculous country.

What a terrible strawman argument. Also, NEWS FLASH, not everyone is allowed to carry guns.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    EDIT: Hell I'll one up you. In Canada school buses have to come to a complete stop before proceeding across any railway crossing.
    You can't one up us! They have to a complete stop, and open their door at railroad crossings.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I'm well aware it's about the US ... I'm saying, why can't you over take a bus? Perfectly okay to do it in the UK, especially if the bus is taking over a whole lane and you can safely pass by it.
    you can pass a bus, just not when it's picking up children....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    No one can pass a bus in either direction when it's stopped. I assume this is a nation-wide law.
    unless the road has a divider, then you can pass in the opposite direction, similar to the laws of emergency vehicles

Folks from Europe need to realize that all of their urban planning was done prior to the invention of the automobile, whereas ours was all done as automobiles were emerging but before we realized that designing cities around automobile use was an asinine endeavor.

So we have silly cities. So we need extra regulations to protect children from motorists. Since everybody needs to be able to drive right up to their doorway otherwise we might have to pump our legs a little.

EDIT: Hell I'll one up you. In Canada school buses have to come to a complete stop before proceeding across any railway crossing.
    Same in the US. Its like they expect the train to jump out like a deer. We have some decommissioned rail lines (crossings) in my area, (meaning they arent used at all and end a few hundred yards in either direction) yet you still get bus drivers stopping at them.

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    From what I've seen it may be because some of the younger kids sometimes sprint across the the street, doesn't give much time for a driver to react.
    Kids young enough to do that should have a guardian to help them cross. Older kids, you would expect to know better. A 4 lane road with a median is a high traffic high/speed road way, you cant expect 2 lanes of traffic traveling at 50-55 mph to come to a complete on the opposite side of the road. They dont put pedestrian crossings there for a reason, as such neither should a school crossing exist. The bus stop should be moved to a side road where it is safer for kids and the bus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or they could do what we do here in Illinois. The cops track you down and bring you an expensive ticket. I wouldn't dare pass a school buss stoped to pick up kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winkle View Post
    This is hilarious, everyone's allowed to carry guns but you can't pass a bus, what a ridiculous country.
    How are those two even related...?

"Hilarious, a country where you can't have sex with animals but you drive on the left (i.e. wrong) side of the road, what a ridiculous country!"

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Same in the US. Its like they expect the train to jump out like a deer. We have some decommissioned rail lines (crossings) in my area, (meaning they arent used at all and end a few hundred yards in either direction) yet you still get bus drivers stopping at them.

Kids young enough to do that should have a guardian to help them cross. Older kids, you would expect to know better. A 4 lane road with a median is a high traffic road way, you cant expect 2 lanes of traffic traveling at 50-55 mph to come to a complete on the opposite side of the road. They dont put pedestrian crossings there for a reason, as such neither should a school crossing exist. The bus stop should be moved to a side road where it is safer for kids and the bus.
    It happened because of an incident where a school bus broke down ontop of a set of railroad tracks and was hit by a train. So I think the logic is that since the bus is most likely to break down while attempting to accelerate that if the school bus stops first, and then breaks down, it won't even make it onto the tracks in the first place.

But what the law doesn't take into account is the fact that the incident was serious because the driver was an idiot and forced children to remain on the bus becuase that's what "The rules said". If the bus broke down, children were to be instructed to remain on the bus... Except you know.. They were on railroad tracks and there was a fucking train coming. People need to learn to disobey rules better.

It happened because of an incident where a school bus broke down ontop of a set of railroad tracks and was hit by a train. So I think the logic is that since the bus is most likely to break down while attempting to accelerate that if the school bus stops first, and then breaks down, it won't even make it onto the tracks in the first place.

But what the law doesn't take into account is the fact that the incident was serious because the driver was an idiot and forced children to remain on the bus becuase that's what "The rules said". If the bus broke down, children were to be instructed to remain on the bus... Except you know.. They were on railroad tracks and there was a fucking train coming. People need to learn to disobey rules better.
    That and depending on the rail tracks, its gonna cause a big bump. I think they don't want a bus to go 30+mph over one and then hit a huge bump and hurt people.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    That and depending on the rail tracks, its gonna cause a big bump. I think they don't want a bus to go 30+mph over one and then hit a huge bump and hurt people.
    Properly maintaining the suspension of the school bus would take care of the bump. It's all because of that one incident. I have a photographic memory, and I remember when the incident happened and all the news buzz about it. And I remember being like "Why the fuck!?" and everybody wanted some kind of action against the school bus driver for being an idiot but instead they got school buses stopping at every rail crossing, thereby legitimizing the fact that the driver didn't disobey the rules when it would have saved lives.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Kids young enough to do that should have a guardian to help them cross. Older kids, you would expect to know better. A 4 lane road with a median is a high traffic high/speed road way, you cant expect 2 lanes of traffic traveling at 50-55 mph to come to a complete on the opposite side of the road. They dont put pedestrian crossings there for a reason, as such neither should a school crossing exist. The bus stop should be moved to a side road where it is safer for kids and the bus.
    Sorry, but your arguments are just plain stupid.

We have to stop at all railroad crossings, unless there is a Railroad Crossing sign that says "Exempt". Sorry that it is a little inconvenient to you if you are on a single lane road at a rail road crossing, but your 30 seconds of waiting is not worth my license and job.

A highway wouldn't have a bus stop on it lol. Kids are kids man, they do stupid shit sometimes. We are adults, and we should understand that.

- - - Updated - - -

That LAW applies to ALL US DoT vehicles, it has nothing to do with 1 incident.

As a School Bus Driver, I am laughing my ass off at how clueless some of you guys are. Thanks for the laughs guys, u da bes!
    Last edited by Zenotetsuken; 2016-02-09 at 03:14 PM.

Yeah, thats what I have heard, but that would assume that the bus was stopped on the tracks to begin with wouldnt it? I mean how else would a bus break down ON the tracks? If the bus broke down going 15-20mph, wouldnt it continue to cruise until it came to a stop? Why would you continue to try to coast over the tracks and not try to stop before the tracks?

OMG

Properly maintaining the suspension of the school bus would take care of the bump. It's all because of that one incident. I have a photographic memory, and I remember when the incident happened and all the news buzz about it. And I remember being like "Why the fuck!?" and everybody wanted some kind of action against the school bus driver for being an idiot but instead they got school buses stopping at every rail crossing, thereby legitimizing the fact that the driver didn't disobey the rules when it would have saved lives.
    Im sure its because of the incident youre talking about but have you hit a railroad tracks in a car? Have you then hit the same one in a big truck with a full load in the back? Suspension can only be too good. If you hit it too fast all the weight is going to compress the shocks and cause you to bounce back up.

Wait, why are you not allowed to pass school buses?
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Yeah, thats what I have heard, but that would assume that the bus was stopped on the tracks to begin with wouldnt it? I mean how else would a bus break down ON the tracks? If the bus broke down going 15-20mph, wouldnt it continue to cruise until it came to a stop? Why would you continue to try to coast over the tracks and not try to stop before the tracks?

OMG
    Any number of things could have caused it to become immobilized over the tracks. I'm not privy to the details, Could have drive-shaft pole vauled for all I know. That would immobilize it pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenotetsuken View Post
    Sorry, but your arguments are just plain stupid.

We have to stop at all railroad crossings, unless there is a Railroad Crossing sign that says "Exempt". Sorry that it is a little inconvenient to you if you are on a single lane road at a rail road crossing, but your 30 seconds of waiting is not worth my license and job.
    Thats my point, how come they dont have an exempt sign on it then? If the driver knows the track is decommissioned they should go to township and get a sign put up or get permission from the district.

A highway wouldn't have a bus stop on it lol.
    Not a highway, but there are two stops in particular on a 4 lane road with a center lane median with a 50mph speed limit.

Kids are kids man, they do stupid shit sometimes. We are adults, and we should understand that.
    Which is why a bus stop on a 4 lane road is STUPID!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Wait, why are you not allowed to pass school buses?
    You can unless they are picking up kids. You don't want kids to get hit.

Any number of things could have caused it to become immobilized over the tracks. I'm not privy to the details, Could have drive-shaft pole vauled for all I know. That would immobilize it pretty fast.
    You are more likely to stall or breakdown accelerating from a dead stop, then slowing to 15 and coasting over them.

You can over take buses. You can pass them. You just can not go around a school bus that has its lights flashing while kids are getting on or off.
    Do kids get off onto the road in the US?

Im sure its because of the incident youre talking about but have you hit a railroad tracks in a car? Have you then hit the same one in a big truck with a full load in the back? Suspension can only be too good. If you hit it too fast all the weight is going to compress the shocks and cause you to bounce back up.
    Well that's a bit of a more complicated issue.

The road is usually built level with the tracks and the geometry of the tire prevents any actual deflection over the gaps... The tire simply compresses and makes a "scary sound."

Over time people slamming on their brakes right before crossing the tracks causes the road bed to sag right in front of the tracks (and right after due to subsequent suspension osculation.

So motorists actually cause the issue by driving wrong. At which time it's still best to pick a safe speed and maintain that speed over the tracks. Accelerating or braking will just add to the load on your suspension system.

Accelerating or braking while crossing railroad tracks is always the wrong thing to do, and contributes to infrastructure damage.