Win10 - Need IE 11, microsoft site says I have it already - I dont.

So against my better judgement I'm being forced to use Internet Explorer once again because of an outdated online course site that I'm required to use for my college courses.

When I type Internet Explorer into my search bar for W10, only Microsoft Edge shows up. When I go to the microsoft site to download IE, it tells me I have the most recent version installed.

When I go to my programs area in control panel to try to uninstall it or reinstall it, its not there.

When I go to my Files(x86)/Internet Explorer folder, there are only 3 .exe's, ieinstal.exe (Which does nothing when I double click it), ielowutil.exe (Also does nothing) and ExtExport.exe which I'm guessing is nothing I need to be worried about.

When I was troubleshooting online people said there should just be an ie.exe, but there isnt.

Right now I'm at a loss on what to do.

You may need to go to the app store to reinstall it. Otherwise, you should have IE in the start menu > all apps > windows accessories > Internet Explorer

Yell at the school telling them get with the times. They have been so far behind browser support to at least 2006 in my case. Schools need to have more browser options now ie is a outdated browser and most people are either forced to use it or they dont at all(coz it sucks ass). Most people use chrome nowadays but in 2006-2007 mozilla firefox was the thing to have and there was and still isnt any support for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roia View Post
    You may need to go to the app store to reinstall it. Otherwise, you should have IE in the start menu > all apps > windows accessories > Internet Explorer
    Nothing in there that says "Internet" anything. Sigh.

I don't know how to access the app store shit either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    So against my better judgement I'm being forced to use Internet Explorer once again because of an outdated online course site that I'm required to use for my college courses.

When I type Internet Explorer into my search bar for W10, only Microsoft Edge shows up. When I go to the microsoft site to download IE, it tells me I have the most recent version installed.

When I go to my programs area in control panel to try to uninstall it or reinstall it, its not there.

When I go to my Files(x86)/Internet Explorer folder, there are only 3 .exe's, ieinstal.exe (Which does nothing when I double click it), ielowutil.exe (Also does nothing) and ExtExport.exe which I'm guessing is nothing I need to be worried about.

When I was troubleshooting online people said there should just be an ie.exe, but there isnt.

Right now I'm at a loss on what to do.
    Windows 10 does not have Internet Explorer 11 like Windows 7/8.1 does so you also cannot install it.
    It can be invoked in a different manner and I can link you it.

How to Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 10

It's a bitch but unfortunately that's the only way to go about things.
    Other than that why can't FireFox/Opera/Chrome or any other 100 browsers be used for the site?

Unless it loads ActiveX components only it should work in almost any browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Windows 10 does not have Internet Explorer 11 like Windows 7/8.1 does so you also cannot install it.

How to Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 10

It's a bitch but unfortunately that's the only way to go about things.
    Other than that why can't FireFox/Opera/Chrome or any other 100 browsers be used for the site?

Unless it loads ActiveX components only it should work in almost any browser.
    It uses Microsoft Silverlight. Chrome ended support, Firefox works but on this particular module, it does not work, and it will have more problems in the future, and as far as I know Microsoft Edge doesn't support Silverlight either.

The only other supported browser is Mac only.

Also when I try to do the method you linked, the proprietary loading of websites in IE11 or whatever, nothing happens. I'm telling you, its basically like I don't have IE installed at all, even though everything says I do. I go to the options in Edge, and hit "Open in internet explorer", and nothing happens. Not to mention I seriously doubt that mode of IE11 even allows silverlight.
    Last edited by Alcsaar; 2016-02-10 at 12:58 AM.

I think Edge has an "open this page with Internet Explorer" button that might be worth a shot. So you go to the site with Edge first, then click that button, and it opens it with Internet Explorer (unless something with IE is broken).

I'm a Firefox user myself (thought IE was an abomination and same thing with Edge), but I saw that option while I was dicking around with it on my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    I think Edge has an "open this page with Internet Explorer" button that might be worth a shot. So you go to the site with Edge first, then click that button, and it opens it with Internet Explorer (unless something with IE is broken).

I'm a Firefox user myself (thought IE was an abomination and same thing with Edge), but I saw that option while I was dicking around with it on my laptop.
    Yea I mentioned it in my reply above yours. When I press that button, nothing at all happens. Even if it did work, I seriously doubt it would support Microsoft Silverlight install.

15+ Year Old Account
    It uses Microsoft Silverlight. Chrome ended support, Firefox works but on this particular module, it does not work, and it will have more problems in the future, and as far as I know Microsoft Edge doesn't support Silverlight either.

The only other supported browser is Mac only.

Also when I try to do the method you linked, the proprietary loading of websites in IE11 or whatever, nothing happens. I'm telling you, its basically like I don't have IE installed at all, even though everything says I do. I go to the options in Edge, and hit "Open in internet explorer", and nothing happens. Not to mention I seriously doubt that mode of IE11 even allows silverlight.
    Try this link then:
    http://winaero.com/blog/internet-exp...nstaller-ie11/

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    You are mistaken. Its a feature thats turned off by default rather easy to turn on.

I'm using W10 home 64-bit.

@OP

Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features> Turn Windows features on or off

Find Internet Explorer 11 and turn it on (make sure the box is checked). You may have to restart

Its under windows accessories in the start menu.
    Last edited by TaintedOne; 2016-02-10 at 01:29 AM.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Setting Edge to run in Compatability Mode for that page should usually work fine. You can use the developer console if you need to actually specify a version.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eeh? You have to have Internet Explorer. A lot of programs use it to render parts of them. Windows 10 comes with both Edge and IE, something went wrong at one of your upgrades.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-02-10 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    You are mistaken. Its a feature thats turned off by default rather easy to turn on.

I'm using W10 home 64-bit.

@OP

Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features> Turn Windows features on or off

Find Internet Explorer 11 and turn it on (make sure the box is checked). You may have to restart

Its under windows accessories in the start menu.
    This worked and now allows me to use the "Open this page in internet explorer option" Thank you!

I don't understand how I spend an hour live chat supporting with Microsoft, and even give them remote access, and that isn't the first thing they do to troubleshoot the problem.

Now I just have to test and see if this will work with Silverlight.

This worked and now allows me to use the "Open this page in internet explorer option" Thank you!

I don't understand how I spend an hour live chat supporting with Microsoft, and even give them remote access, and that isn't the first thing they do to troubleshoot the problem.

Now I just have to test and see if this will work with Silverlight.
    Glad I could help! I had a similar problem a few months ago trying to sign up for health insurance on my companies website. That section of the website was only viewable in IE. Chrome or Edge w/compatibility mode would not work Yet Chrome displays the rest of the site just fine :\
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

7+ Year Old Account
    Take Firefox, and spoof the user agent to make the site think you're using IE.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Take Firefox, and spoof the user agent to make the site think you're using IE.
    Still doesn't really play well with Silverlight on a good day. If it uses certain features of Silverlight, it will constantly crash and give you problems. I have this issue with the DnD4e Character Builder all the time. Constant crashes when using Firefox. Works a whole lot better in IE(only thing I use IE for) even though it's still a slow buggy piece of crap, it is hands down a superior experience in IE. The issue is Silverlight itself. It's a Microsoft product and I think they make it not work on other browsers intentionally.