Thread: Tasers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    the cops are supposed to carry nets now? Please tell me you're joking.
    It will work.
    "You can wear whatever costume you want for Halloween and it's totally cool but here's a list of costumes I'll shame you for and call you sexist and racist if you do wear them"
    - Laci Green 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    Source? I'm dying to see this...
    Source or no source that is 0.000062% of the US Population, not exactly the pandemic problem the media and some people would portray it as. If true that is.

0.000062% margin of error is pretty fucking outstanding if we take it for face value.

10+ Year Old Account
    the cops are supposed to carry nets now? Please tell me you're joking.
    Japan has really neat Net Launchers. Pretty effective.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I literally pictured a cop putting away his gun and taser, pulling out his baton, hitting someone in the head, then throwing a net on them.

There was also a helicopter, I'm not sure why.

If they got rid of those pesky light bars they could mount a net gun on top of their cruisers.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I would be totally cool with establishments have net launchers handy. If a store clerk had a net launcher, he could potentially detain the suspect until the police arrive.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-n...rt-gun-7234298

10+ Year Old Account
    There's also a chance someone can survive multiple gun shots, reach for their weapon anyways and still kill the officer. Should we just put funding into portable mini nukes officers can set off just to be super duper 99.99999% sure the suspect is "apprehended"? Give me a break, tasers are effective weapons that are carried for a reason. It failing to do its job one time doesn't mean fuckit just shoot everyone on sight now.

- - - Updated - - -

And when the taser does work please tell me how easy you'll be able to resist thousands of volts of electricity coursing through your body. Or are we still assuming every suspect is cracked out on PCP and bath salts that turn them into the hulk? Get real

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    if i was gunna get taken down by police i'd prefer to be tasered than shot at.

maybe blackjacked to the temple or throw a net on me. just dont shoot people. guns are not the answer.
    letting cops get shot is not the answer and really running around with nets? thats unreasonable and would probably do very little

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    letting cops get shot is not the answer and really running around with nets? thats unreasonable and would probably do very little
    However, if store clerks and such had net launchers, it could help the police before they even get there. I posted an article about it, and it honestly seems kind of neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    However, if store clerks and such had net launchers, it could help the police before they even get there. I posted an article about it, and it honestly seems kind of neat.
    Because nothing bad would ever happen from shop owners being armed with nets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    There's also a chance someone can survive multiple gun shots, reach for their weapon anyways and still kill the officer. Should we just put funding into portable mini nukes officers can set off just to be super duper 99.99999% sure the suspect is "apprehended"? Give me a break, tasers are effective weapons that are carried for a reason. It failing to do its job one time doesn't mean fuckit just shoot everyone on sight now.

- - - Updated - - -

And when the taser does work please tell me how easy you'll be able to resist thousands of volts of electricity coursing through your body. Or are we still assuming every suspect is cracked out on PCP and bath salts that turn them into the hulk? Get real
    Are you willing to go into a gun fight with a taser?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Because nothing bad would ever happen from shop owners being armed with nets.
    Well, currently they can be armed with guns or baseball bats pending on location. I would think a net launcher would be far less fatal. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you willing to go into a gun fight with a taser?
    No but the officer saw no weapon at the time the suspect fled, he fired the taser and it failed unfortunately. The suspect was in fact armed, got the upper hand and turned around and fired, mortally* wounding the officer. Sounds like standard procedure to me. This one instance of a taser failing does not mean to never use them like the OP is implying. Its unfortunate the officer died but you cannot use this one case to dismiss all uses of tasers, just as we can't use a few cases of officers unlawfully killing unarmed civilians as proof that firearms may never be used.
    Last edited by Dug; 2016-02-10 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    And for every situation like this, there are dozens, if not hundreds, where police used lethal force inappropriately.

This is a complex world where simple solutions will never work. It isn't about using tasers only, or pepper spray only, or night sticks only, or using guns only...it is about training our police forces to use the appropriate level of force in any given situation.

Police have killed about 200 unarmed citizens in the US last year. Those are the simple ones where they didn't need to be shot. There are likely at least another 200 citizens killed by police that probably didn't need happen either (e.g. knife in the pocket that was never really a threat). 42 police were killed by gunfire last year (by the way, 52 died from traffic accidents). Whether you like it or not, those are troubling numbers and demonstrates a need to reinforce with police that citizen's lives are just as important as their own.

assuming those statistics above are correct where is the sense of proportionality? There are MILLIONS(literally) of Police/Citizen interactions every year. Less than 1/10 of 1% result in an outcome where deadly force is used. The vast majority of Cops never take their weapon out of their holster while on duty their entire career. There is no national conspiracy or "rash" of wild,lawless,corrupt cops running around gunning people down without cause. There are approx 1,000,000 cops in the United States. So 200 cops out of ONE MILLION which is what 1/50 th of 1% may have possibly killed someone unlawfully. And that's just going by your post numbers without verification.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post

- - - Updated - - -

They can assume whatever the fuck they want to assume. Its their life on the line.

In other news, two Maryland police officers were killed yesterday... They showed up and the guy decided he didn't want to go to jail and shot them to death.

They probably should have yelled and used a taser on him...

the fact is tasers have a very high rate of failure, they can catch on a suspects clothing and fail to activate, they can miss, or misfire. my only question is why wasnt that Sheriff wearing a vest? yes vests are heavy and hot and uncomfortable at times but u should still wear one to avoid gsws.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    the fact is tasers have a very high rate of failure, they can catch on a suspects clothing and fail to activate, they can miss, or misfire. my only question is why wasnt that Sheriff wearing a vest? yes vests are heavy and hot and uncomfortable at times but u should still wear one to avoid gsws.
    He was shot in the face...

Usually when someone is on life support, not always, but like 99% of the time, it's because of a brain or nervous system injury

Deleted
    I still can't believe people keep attacking police officers in the US of A.
    If I was a police officer I would shoot first and ask questions later as well seeing every goddamn person in armed to the teeth.
    Its just gambling with your life on a daily basis and just hoping none shoots you in the stomic after you try to do your job.

It really disgusts me that there are people actually sticking up for the criminals that put them selfs in these situations over the cops that are trying to uphold the law in conditions that are almost unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    He was shot in the face...

Usually when someone is on life support, not always, but like 99% of the time, it's because of a brain or nervous system injury
    headshots are very low % target, a kid running away suddenly turning around and scoring a few headshots is really unlikely, but it does happen. however if the kid aimed for the chest this sheriff might still be alive if he was wearing a vest.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    headshots are very low % target, a kid running away suddenly turning around and scoring a few headshots is really unlikely, but it does happen. however if the kid aimed for the chest this sheriff might still be alive if he was wearing a vest.
    IF. A mighty big word for only 2 letters. And there happens to be rounds which will penetrate a bullet proof vest. Sure if I was a cop, I would be wearing one. But head shots when you are up close to a person are not that hard to make. The impact of a round even if you are wearing a vest will knock you down and then the assailant can shoot you in the head.

Tasers here in Ohio are legal, but you have to get a permit to carry one. So I can not see the reason to go thru the hassle when you can get a firearm permit which will be more effective. Pepper spray is legal to carry/conceal without a permit however and as a tip, a can of hornet spray will work just as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    If I was a store owner and knowing that a person can still shoot me when they are in a net, I would rather just shoot the sucker and make sure they do not get to use their firearm. But as in any case, nothing is 100% fail proof. But given a choice, I will pick the firearm to carry over a net launcher.

So didn't tasers recently get classified as a form of unnecessary force by some court?

Edit: Here we go...

http://www.npr.org/2016/02/05/465743...-use-of-tasers

The 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals unexpectedly ruled to limit how officers may use Tasers or other stun guns. In states such as Virginia and North Carolina, it's no longer legal for police to use Tasers to force compliance from a non-dangerous suspect. Some cops say this is an unnecessary and dangerous restriction. Others say it's an overdue curb on the abuse of these weapons.
    I wish you fackers would make up your mind.

Guns are bad. Guns are good. Tase. Do not tase.

Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-02-11 at 01:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    They can assume whatever the fuck they want to assume. Its their life on the line.

In other news, two Maryland police officers were killed yesterday... They showed up and the guy decided he didn't want to go to jail and shot them to death.

They probably should have yelled and used a taser on him...
    Yeah that's a shoot out, they lost it. Unfortunate but it happened. Or are you saying they should have walked up to the guy and just opened fire just in case he fired at them first?

You seem to be insinuating I enjoy it when cops die, fuck no. My father is a police officer, why would I want him to die? But it comes with the job description so I wouldn't be shocked if he was in a shoot out or died in one. Upset? Very much so. But not surprised.

And besides you're not the cops in any of these situations. The one in the OP opted to use his taser, it failed and he paid the ultimate price. That still doesn't mean fuck non lethal options, shoot first and ask questions later. If you want to live in the wild west go live in some ISIS shithole.
    Last edited by Dug; 2016-02-11 at 02:52 PM.