Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

In regards to Rubio's 25 second memorized talking points.

First of all, let me just say I am NOT a Rubio fan. In fact, I'm voting for Bernie.

With that said, why aren't more candidates getting slammed on the talking points issue?

Bernie himself has been doing the same sort of thing repeating the thing about having no super pacs and his average donation is $27, etc. Trump says TREMENDOUS and HUGE like 500 times per debate to describe his plans for America.

I guess the main difference is that Bernie would say this once per debate where as Rubio repeats it over and over in the same debate?
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Rubio is getting slammed because it's basically his only way of interacting, down to using the same jokes with the same pauses and whatnot. Seriously even the Teleprompter in Chief comes off as more loose and unscripted than Rubio does on the trail.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Deleted
    Rubio has done it twice now, with different talking points. He can't say anything else than those memorized lines. He doesn't have a single original thought in that teenage boy head of his.

He's most likely on some pills, that's why he's drinking and sweating so horribly much as well.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-02-10 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    First of all, let me just say I am NOT a Rubio fan. In fact, I'm voting for Bernie.

With that said, why aren't more candidates getting slammed on the talking points issue?

Bernie himself has been doing the same sort of thing repeating the thing about having no super pacs and his average donation is $27, etc. Trump says TREMENDOUS and HUGE like 500 times per debate to describe his plans for America.

I guess the main difference is that Bernie would say this once per debate where as Rubio repeats it over and over in the same debate?
    "Tremendous" and "Yuge" aren't talking points, they're descriptive terms, as is "Low Energy." Trump's practically immune to these sorts of attacks since his talking points actually tend to vary while his descriptions do not, leading people to confuse the two.

10+ Year Old Account
    All politicians do it, it's how obvious they are about it that stands out. Rubio is terrible with it and can't seem to talk outside of his memorized talking points.

Not going to judge a guy who is up in front of a shit load of people talking. An act that would have me in cold sweets and possibly flat out pass out. Is it a bit robotic, ehh maybe but so what? Attack his message not how he delivers it.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

It's amazing how mainstream republican types are so furious at Christie for exposing Rubio as a brutal candidate. They should be happy Rubio got exposed before Hillary or Bernie squash him in the general election. It just shows they'd rather lose with Rubio than possibly win with Trump or Cruz. Cruz is a really good debater and Trump can at least think on his feet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Not going to judge a guy who is up in front of a shit load of people talking. An act that would have me in cold sweets and possibly flat out pass out. Is it a bit robotic, ehh maybe but so what? Attack his message not how he delivers it.
    In order to even be a presidential (or most political) candidate, you already need to have an inflated ego. Doesn't matter who you are.

Forgot who said it (maybe Louis CK?) but in order to even consider running for president, the person must have a pretty big ego to think themselves worthy of being able to run an entire country.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a pretty big difference that other politicians might re-use the same 2-3 word points, vs. a whole 25 second speech that Rubio memorized and repeated nearly word for word by my count 5 times that night. Worse yet, his response to Christie's bash that he can't handle pressure and was repeating himself was to repeat the same 25 second speech yet again. It was pretty devastating and strong proof that he's artificial and incapable of thinking for himself, or on his feet. Both vital qualities for President. We were waiting for wires and smoke to come out of his head like a robot. I thought at the time it was worse than Howard Dean's famous woooo night, and so far that's how it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post

Let's dispense of this fiction that Rubio doesn't know what he's doing, he knows exactly what he's doing...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    It's amazing how mainstream republican types are so furious at Christie for exposing Rubio as a brutal candidate. They should be happy Rubio got exposed before Hillary or Bernie squash him in the general election. It just shows they'd rather lose with Rubio than possibly win with Trump or Cruz. Cruz is a really good debater and Trump can at least think on his feet.
    Cruz had a bad habit of tapping the podium really hard (which got picked up too well by the mic) with almost every word during the last debate. Minor, but it didn't help him come across as more likable.

On Trump, I get the impression he doesn't prepare whatsoever for the debates. At most maybe he has half a glass of wine and rolls out cold. A lot different than the others that spend hours rehearsing every question and answer.

Yeah, they all do it. Cristi did the other candidates a favor by attacking Rubio but Cristi didn't help himself one bit, in fact Cristi might bow out soon, his showing in NH was very poor and it's a state he should've done well in. All Cristi's attack on Rubio did was spoil Rubio's chances.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

This is just a stark example of what people have been sick of for years.

It's the same reason Trump is popular - people actually like that they don't like everything he says. It hasn't been processed by focus groups, dipped in palatability sauce, tripled poll tested, and committee approved.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Christie knew he didn't have a chance so he wanted to take someone down with him. What Christie did was pathetic. I've been leaning towards Cruz but Christie's asinine antics made me want to vote for Rubio.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkacid View Post
    Christie knew he didn't have a chance so he wanted to take someone down with him. What Christie did was pathetic. I've been leaning towards Cruz but Christie's asinine antics made me want to vote for Rubio.
    Sounds like you're looking to vote for the dumbest candidate possible.

I'd take Trump over those 2 any day. At least he pretends like he knows what he's talking about pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    Let's dispense of this fiction that Rubio doesn't know what he's doing, he knows exactly what he's doing...
    I see what you did there.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Yeah, they all do it. Cristi did the other candidates a favor by attacking Rubio but Cristi didn't help himself one bit, in fact Cristi might bow out soon, his showing in NH was very poor and it's a state he should've done well in. All Cristi's attack on Rubio did was spoil Rubio's chances.
    Christie showed himself not only to be a bully, but also a hypocrite. And he is bowing out. Good to see.

I understood what Rubio was stressing and why he repeated it more than once. Obama knows exactly what he is doing and his intentions are deliberate. That was his point and Christie should have agreed with him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Christie showed himself not only to be a bully, but also a hypocrite. And he is bowing out. Good to see.

I understood what Rubio was stressing and why he repeated it more than once. Obama knows exactly what he is doing and his intentions are deliberate. That was his point and Christie should have agreed with him.
    I hope he does know what he's doing, because it's in a good direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post

Rubio isn't saying that because he believes it (he might believe it, but that's beside the point). He's arguing it because he and Obama are so similar. Young, minority, charismatic first term senators who ran/are running for president. If the GOP narrative is Obama is in over his head, it hurts Rubio. If the narrative is that Obama is deliberate with his actions, Rubio has something to gain.

Ironically, by sticking to that narrative so hard, Rubio actually looked like he was in over his head.

I completely agree with OP. For some reason the media and the internet fixated on Rubio saying the same shit over and over again, but almost every candidate is doing this. I mean, Trump says the same stupid crap every debate, no matter what the question is.

Sorta weird selective outrage.

All these politicians are very rehearsed.