7+ Year Old Account

~$1k Gaming Build. Update from last post.

Hello again, folks.
    I made a thread a few months ago asking about what build would be best for an $800 budget. Well I'm back with ALOT more research done, a better understanding of the parts and why X does better than Y etc. I also have a higher budget this time.

I have a pretty good idea of what I want in terms of the build, and I have the part list for you to review, but I'll fill out the list to help.

Budget ~$1k
    •Resolution 1080p
    •Games / Settings Desired WoW, Arma 3, Dark Souls 3, Rust, CIV 5. All the goodies.
    •Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) Photoshop and streaming.
    •Country O' Saaaay Caaaan Yooooou Seeeee?
    •Parts that can be reused Nope. None. Nada. Nein. Zip. Zilch.
    •Do you need an OS? Yes, but I'm specifically keeping that out of the budget.
    •Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? Will purchase after build, current ones will suffice.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus H170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.00 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($351.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1063.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-10 18:51 EST-0500

I already bought the CPU, MOBO, Case and Optical Drive during a sale which ending up costing $355, which is a steal. I was wondering what you guys thought of it/the rest.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on it within the next 48 hours. I asked suggestions from the PCPP forums, Reddit and a few buddies of mine, who agree on the parts. I just want a final check-up before I buy the rest, and I know a lot of you are knowledgeable folk. PLEASE feel free to ask why I picked the parts, or if you think one or two are better.
    * do you want to have a bad time?

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Everything looks good, enjoy the new rig.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Everything looks good, enjoy the new rig.
    Thanks Flappy Lizard.

Deleted
    The motherboard is overpriced as hell. You get a good Z170 mobo with that money, literally different league mobos. But you bought it already so...
    Case for that money you can get a NZXT S340 but i guess you need the internal optical drive? You can have an external one. The Phanteks enthoo pro M is on sale half the time for 65-70bucks just not at this moment. I'd worth to wait abit if you wanna save. You also don't need a hdd black, the blue will be fine considering you are on a mid range budget and an R9 390 would have been better. 970 isn't worth it atm, no dx12 support.

All in all i think for your budget at 1050 this build could have been done differently, with a 6600k/Z170 mobo etc for the same money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    The motherboard is overpriced as hell. You get a good Z170 mobo with that money, literally different league mobos. But you bought it already so...
    He bought it during a sale...

I do agree on the GPU, I would pick a 390 over the 970 tho, due to possibly better DX12 support. And it performs better at higher resolutions than the 970, if you ever consider going to 1440p or higher.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    He bought it during a sale...
    Yes and what i said was that it wasn't really a sale, even counting an H170 which can be less from what i link below:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock H170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
    Total: $343.96
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-11 03:29 EST-0500

With another 50$ tops you get a 6600k/Z170/case.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't buy a 970. Yes I know it's one of the best buys of the market, but because next gen gpus are coming out July/august. AMD specifically is coming out with new architecture for dx12 and high video ram.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Deleted
    Yes and what i said was that it wasn't really a sale, even counting an H170 which can be less from what i link below:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock H170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
    Total: $343.96
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-11 03:29 EST-0500

With another 50$ tops you get a 6600k/Z170/case.
    The asus mobo has USB 3.1 gen2 and typeC and the better audiochip tho compared to the asrock.

Anyway, I am not disagreeing, with that budget going for a 6600k is def possible. And if I would go with a 6500, I would probably pick a B150 mobo.

7+ Year Old Account
    The asus mobo has USB 3.1 gen2 and typeC and the better audiochip tho compared to the asrock.
    Which was a main selling point to me, as I was comparing it to the Asrock and regular Asus Pro Mobo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Don't buy a 970. Yes I know it's one of the best buys of the market, but because next gen gpus are coming out July/august. AMD specifically is coming out with new architecture for dx12 and high video ram.
    I already plan on getting Pascal when it comes out, but likely during black Friday/cyber Monday. I chose specifically the 970 because it's cheaper than it says it is (Newegg page has it at $328, PLUS a $20 mail-in rebate) AND it comes with Rise of the Tomb Raider, which I plan to give to a buddy of mine for his Birthday.

I know AMD comes with better resolution support, but by the time I want to upgrade to 1440p, I'll have Pascal already which'll likely tear into 4k. 1080p suits me just fine for now, but I appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

The motherboard is overpriced as hell. You get a good Z170 mobo with that money, literally different league mobos.
    I won't disagree with that. However I did get this board after I saw that Intel confirmed they were no longer allowing locked Skylake CPUs to OC, and I thought that the better audio, 3.1 usb and the fact that Asus comes with two pairs of sata cables instead of Gigabytes usual one pair, would justify it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortsy View Post
    I won't disagree with that. However I did get this board after I saw that Intel confirmed they were no longer allowing locked Skylake CPUs to OC.
    Just don't update your BIOS. Or otherwise look for a BIOS before the change.
    Although, do that at your own risk and read a lot about those things before trying it

7+ Year Old Account
    Case for that money you can get a NZXT S340 but i guess you need the internal optical drive? You can have an external one. The Phanteks enthoo pro M is on sale half the time for 65-70bucks just not at this moment.
    I specifically chose the 200R for its simplicity, it's two fans as well as it's use of tool-less drive bays. I will admit I saw the Phanteks Enthoo Pro (regular version) and drooled a little, but then the 200R was on sale for about ~$50, so I couldn't say no.

- - - Updated - - -

Just don't update your BIOS. Or otherwise look for a BIOS before the change.
    Although, do that at your own risk and read a lot about those things before trying it
    The update is through Windows Update, not the BIOS apparently. Read that somewhere, could be wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

You also don't need a hdd black, the blue will be fine considering you are on a mid range budget.
    Interesting. Noted.