Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saberstrike View Post
    so I've been leveling my alt and decided to record what I feel sums up why world content sucks in WoD.

tl;dr: Why am I even here, Khadgar & co. seems to have everything covered!

World of Warcraft: Gameplay Optional.

Seriously... What the fuck x_x
    There's multiple events throughout World of Warcraft that required no help from the player, stop acting like this is the first. Remember the DK event in WOTLK at the end of the zone, you could more or less go afk and make a drink for parts of it.

Just because this is the first time you have come across something like this doesn't mean it's the first time it's happened. And who really gives a fuck, .0001% of the game requires you to stand there for a RP event. Get over yourself and enjoy the game, it's not the first, or last time something like this is going to happen in a computer game.

The difference is, DK plot is kind of a big deal and it actually ties the whole thing together.

The way they did those concealed cut-scenes in WoD just doesn't lead to anything. This particular event is meant to lead to some 'legendary iron horde weapon'; Low and behold, it's just some kind of big explodey angry orc gun that we've seen a hundred of already.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Bring back Vanilla leveling experience.

I remember leveling my mage. It was such excite.

Frost bolt, fireball, fireball, fireball, fireball, melee, drink water.
    Frost bolt, fireball, fireball, fireball, fireball, melee, drink water.... etc (about 20 times).

Run to nearest town to turn in quest. Purchase refreshing spring water. Those mangy goretusks won't be bothering anybody else again.

Tedium is not challenging.
    Hah. A mage had the ability to handle accidentally over pulling or aggroing extra mobs, others didn't. It was mostly tedious yes but far more challenging than today, especially if you pushed the pace. These days you can't die to a non elite if you AFK 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    Making it too hard/challenging is an annoying for most people, not a minority. Cata heroics are a good example of this. People reached them, got stuck in them...and bailed.
    That the majority of the playerbase didn't like methodical dungeons in Cata doesn't mean that the dungeons themselves were to blame. Part of design is making sure that the players are prepared to do what they need to do.

In many older world zones there are these caves which players ended up getting funneled into. That's how they first learn to depend on each other and form parties so that everyone can play nice and get quest credit. Not to mention it's just safer since those caves could be pretty dangerous.

Outdoor elites also taught people just how powerful CC could be, so that when they entered dungeons they were naturally more apt to use those skills and ensure a smooth run.

A player that hasn't experienced failure before joining in on group content is always going to be in for a rude awakening. All of those things are related.

Deleted
    The difference is, DK plot is kind of a big deal and it actually ties the whole thing together.

The way they did those concealed cut-scenes in WoD just doesn't lead to anything. This particular event is meant to lead to some 'legendary iron horde weapon'; Low and behold, it's just some kind of big explodey angry orc gun that we've seen a hundred of already.
    There is no difference from what you explained in your OP. The gameplay wasn't fun or exciting because you could stand there doing nothing, the game "didn't need you". Regardless of the outcome the gameplay was the same, not exciting or interactive.

Also like I said, there's probably more than 100 accounts of this happening throughout World of Warcraft. Why is this one bothering you so much apposed to the others? Also, this isn't exclusive to WoD, it's from Vanilla+.

Because as I said, WoD doesn't have a big redeeming factor for a thousand little disappointments it brought. This is just one of them, that sums up a lot of what's wrong with the game. There's no big glorious "fuck yes" moments to offset the general mediocrity of watching Khadgar do all the work. Questing was fine from gameplay standpoint but it all sort of blends in, compared to the same DK area where you murder your friends and torture crusaders for information.

I can forgive an occasional non-interactive cut-scene if it comes with something worth remembering, but all of WoD sort of blends together in my head. I leveled through it 7 times now. I can honestly tell you that the only memorable zone for me was Spires of Arak; Never cared for anything else. Draenei stuff in shadowmoon was passable, I guess? But yeah.

It's the overwhelming mediocrity that gets me.

Deleted
    The worst is the WoD intro scenario. When you're bombing the orcs from up high. Literally could sit there all day not bombing and it wouldn't matter. It's so cringeworthy taking in the fake urgency of the characters then. "OMG hurry they have cannons!!!".

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Well that's true, sitting through the roleplay is annoying. The thing is, that entire scene is just poorly disguised roleplay! ;\
    .... Sure can't have any roleplay (which it isn't, it's just story telling) in a Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game, now can we?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Levelling has always been boring. Game starts at max level.

Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    At the opposite end of the scale, I don't find guaranteed failure all that compelling. Making it too hard/challenging is an annoying for most people
    Don't really understand why people do this either, when they're fully capable of understanding that people aren't always talking in extremes.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    .... Sure can't have any roleplay (which it isn't, it's just story telling) in a Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game, now can we?
    I don't think you understand what 'roleplay' means.

Hint: it's not watching the NPCs talk and do all the work.

There better be an epic 30 or 40-step questline involving all known (and several new) variants of poop quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah there's the other one too in Frostfire where you're fighting in that Thunder Pass I think it was called where you have to wait for Drek'thar to do his shaman stuff. I'd go to fight something and before I could lay a hit on it, it'd be dead already. So it's like why am I even here then? You guys seem to be able to fight these guys off with ease. It's actually like the game is making you feel important and left out at the same time. Like "oh commander thank goodness you're here we need you're help" but then you'll see them kicking ass and you're just running around just trying to get a kill.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2016-02-11 at 08:15 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Bring back Vanilla leveling experience.

I remember leveling my mage. It was such excite.

Frost bolt, fireball, fireball, fireball, fireball, melee, drink water.
    Frost bolt, fireball, fireball, fireball, fireball, melee, drink water.... etc (about 20 times).

Run to nearest town to turn in quest. Purchase refreshing spring water. Those mangy goretusks won't be bothering anybody else again.

Tedium is not challenging.
    Vanilla.
    Didn't know he can conjure his own water.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Vanilla.

Consdering his statement differ vastly from my own and others experience of how vanilla was played, it's almost as if he never actually played it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Vanilla.

Depending on level, the water you bought was more potent than what you could conjure.

It's simple really. You don't design with heirlooms in mind. Let the heirloom-people roll over everything for all I care, chances are if you have enough resources for full heirlooms you've got at least 1 or 2 max. levels anyway and you've more or less beaten the 'leveling game'.

They could entice people with feats of strength that award people for beating elite quests at relevant level with no heirlooms / no equipment above a certain quality (eg. same zone's quest rewards) -- like that Ulduar achievement for wearing all <232 ilvl gear, except for various stages of leveling.

This could also award things like tmog / pets / hell even new heirlooms. You've proven you're awesome and you don't need gear to be awesome, here's a shiny new axe that will last you all 5 remaining levels. Wouldn't that be grand?
    You need to remember that the majority of players do not raid nor have gear that would make them OP at the start of an expansion. And that quest is really only one of the few like that of the thousand or so quests in WoD. It is not a quality example of WoD questing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Yeah but that's one damn quest. You can't pretend like Vanilla and BC and WotLK and all the other expansions didn't have quests that were stupid.

The vast majority of WoD's quests were your good ol' kill x bears and collect y bear asses, just like every other expansion. Which apparently makes for great content.
    It's more than just that quest. Almost every "scenario" type of quest at the end of a quest chain was basically like that. The final quest in the Gorgrond chain is nothing more than standing way back while NPCs fight, pressing the action button on cooldown to wipe out all the enemies, and then tagging the final enemy so you get credit when the NPCs finish him off. You can let the Frostwolves kill most of the enemies in a lot of quests in Frostfire Ridge, too.

I don't necessarily think it's a huge deal, since the leveling experience in WoD was one of the most enjoyable feature of the game. I do think that Blizzard made the player's action optional in the quests with "epic" fights, though, and that's something they could definitely improve in Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    Yeah there's the other one too in Frostfire where you're fighting in that Thunder Pass I think it was called where you have to wait for Drek'thar to do his shaman stuff. I'd go to fight something and before I could lay a hit on it, it'd be dead already. So it's like why am I even here then? You guys seem to be able to fight these guys off with ease. It's actually like the game is making you feel important and left out at the same time. Like "oh commander thank goodness you're here we need you're help" but then you'll see them kicking ass and you're just running around just trying to get a kill.
    But how many quests were like that in FFR? Oh yeah, just that one. One in SMV and one in Shat. I would say the one in Nagrand but you can actually die if you don't participate. I get what you are saying about being important and being left out at the same time, but those situations are so far and few it's not an accurate depiction of WoD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Archibalde View Post
    It's more than just that quest. Almost every "scenario" type of quest at the end of a quest chain was basically like that. The final quest in the Gorgrond chain is nothing more than standing way back while NPCs fight, pressing the action button on cooldown to wipe out all the enemies, and then tagging the final enemy so you get credit when the NPCs finish him off. You can let the Frostwolves kill most of the enemies in a lot of quests in Frostfire Ridge, too.

I don't necessarily think it's a huge deal, since the leveling experience in WoD was one of the most enjoyable feature of the game. I do think that Blizzard made the player's action optional in the quests with "epic" fights, though, and that's something they could definitely improve in Legion.
    Yeah, you could but why? Just to say it's bad design when you could just as easily participate and get it over with saying hey this was a pretty neat way to tie up the quest line.

That was the royal you not you specifically.

They could've easily just made a mechanic to shield Khadgar when he's attacked, but pauses his casting time. With you having to actually defend him from damage.