7+ Year Old Account

hunter spec for random bgs

Which spec for hunter is best at doing damage and killing power? Was thinking BM for its beastial wrath.

Stood in the Fire
    7+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, they all do fine for random bgs. Survival has the lowest burst of the 3, but do well overall. Pick what you like to play, it's all good. BM is very viable.

Personally i would go with SV or MM and Lone Wolf talent. I hate pets, and i hate managing pets in BGs.

I think randoms works for all three specs, but I think this is the strength/weakness of each.

Marks:
    Pros - Huge burst. Great Killing power. I can take a full health target down to half in a few GCDs before they can react. When targets are low kill shot has good finishing power.

Cons - no pet means no freedom or sac and no easy damage with no cost to you. Little to no self healing

BM:
    Pros - self healing is strong, pet can do a ton of damage without needing you. Pet can finish off runners. Easier to kite targets

Cons - Burst is pretty good, but lower than marks. have to keep up with a pet

Surv:
    Pros - good spread damage, looks good on meters. Can still kite well and still heal pretty well.

Cons - burst damage is much lower so you have to focus on outlast. damage can look good on charts but not be as meaningful when you need to get kills.

Personally I prefer MM all the time. It is fun, you get to kill people and see huge numbers. It contributes in the strongest way to objectives (sending people to the GY). You can summon your pet to get sac/freedom if you really need it, but with smart play you won't all that often.

Deleted
    MM = most kills and biggest- crits watch my video if you aren't convince in the video thread http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post38782005

Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Which spec for hunter is best at doing damage and killing power? Was thinking BM for its beastial wrath.
    BM is very strong for both rated and random bgs in 6.2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ezorus View Post
    MM = most kills and biggest- crits watch my video if you aren't convince in the video thread http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post38782005
    The damage is great! however, all that falls apart the second you get pressured by the melee train. BM has roughly the same output and is not nearly as susceptible to being ranged, locked down, or focused.

MM is decent, but be prepared to be an immobile glass cannon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Christhammer View Post
    Personally i would go with SV or MM and Lone Wolf talent. I hate pets, and i hate managing pets in BGs.
    The huge issue with lone wolf in pvp in general is that you lose access to masters call and roar of sacrifice, two of our biggest utility skills.

Deleted
    "MM is decent, but be prepared to be an immobile glass cannon."

Nonsense, mobile and free as any if specd right. And random bgs got healers, potion use and all the like.

"lose access to masters call and roar of sacrifice, two of our biggest utility skills."
    True but that's defensive thinking, the dam, any buff choice and freedom without a glitchy pet is a better trade off. Post haste replacement for masters call, and RoS isn't amazing nor works if ur pet has run off or died..

Lets not forget chimera which hits like a motherfucker, exter 20 focus, earlier killshots etc

Really BM is the least popular in bgs

Try and get the tier 18 4pc for MM and go pew pew in random bgs

Quote Originally Posted by Ezorus View Post

Nonsense, mobile and free as any if specd right. And random bgs got healers, potion use and all the like.
    Sniper training mastery would like a word with you. There is no way to "spec" out of being immobile as MM. It just is.

No matter what you're going to be taking a damage hit when you have to move as the spec is balanced around sniper training.

Ranging and LoSing Aimed shot is easy, even for relatively immobile classes. This is less of an issue in random BGs as you're not going to be going up against coordinated teams most of the time, but its a huge downside in Arena/Rated BGs.
    Last edited by Riistov; 2016-02-15 at 09:15 PM.

Deleted
    Just started MM and I have to say the damage is insane. A lot of fun. For people who like dps, kb's and other shit which fluffs your ego and doesn't really help your team much.

BM is good for certain things-being able to use decent attacks via your pet at massive range is very useful.

Survival's main utility is situational, I found it too weak for regular pvp.

I am so piss at pet management, when I switched to MM-LW... holy shit balls. That was perfect for me. I'd say try that and BM out and see which works best for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I am so piss at pet management, when I switched to MM-LW... holy shit balls. That was perfect for me. I'd say try that and BM out and see which works best for you.
    Pet management isn't as trivial as most think it is. Your pet gets stuck consistently and often disobeys commands. To play BM properly really requires a rated player's understanding of all the mechanics and glitches. MM is a lot more fun frankly.

Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    Sniper training mastery would like a word with you. There is no way to "spec" out of being immobile as MM. It just is.

No matter what you're going to be taking a damage hit when you have to move as the spec is balanced around sniper training.

Ranging and LoSing Aimed shot is easy, even for relatively immobile classes. This is less of an issue in random BGs as you're not going to be going up against coordinated teams most of the time, but its a huge downside in Arena/Rated BGs.
    lol are you for real

being the most mobile class in the game but needing to stand still for 3 seconds to do 10% more damage does not mean you are immobile in any sense of the word

it means you're the most mobile class in the game who also does 10% more damage when you stand still for 3 seconds.

Deleted
    I play lone wolf MM, topping damage and killing blow charts is perfectly possible, though not as easy as with a shadow priest.

Rogues are annoying and they cause a lot of trouble in 1on1 situations (which do happen in random BGs). Normally I have no issues with them, but it's an entirely different game as a lone wolf hunter.

Deleted
    For mass pvp with little regards to yourself: MM with Lone Wolf
    For random bgs and 1v1 where you care a lot about winning: survival

lone wolf is the newbie choice

use frost munitions, pet abilities and MS are too important and pet damage is solid

Personally I hate managing a pet in BGs so marks or sv with lone wolf takes the cake for me. And also I've always been a huge fan of SV I just love explosive shot. Rip legion
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post
    Personally I hate managing a pet in BGs so marks or sv with lone wolf takes the cake for me. And also I've always been a huge fan of SV I just love explosive shot. Rip legion
    I too hate managing a pet but thing is, you don't really have to. Unlike an unholy dk's pet, yours is pretty autonomous. All you need are 2 keys.

Sic 'em!
    /cast [@pet] misdirection
    /cast mend pet
    /petattack

This macro casts misdirection, puts a hot on your pet and orders it to attack your target. Misdirection doesn't do anything in pvp, obviously, but it also doesn't cost anything, so leave it there for when you do quests and stuff.

Come back!
    /cast mend pet
    /pet passive

Puts a hot on it and calls it back.

Cycle between these two as needed. If you're BM make sure to pick up Glyph of Mend Pet, it makes every tick of mend pet to also remove a debuff (except physical debuffs) from your pet and this helps massively in bgs where your pet is cc-ed/dot-ed 24/7. Keep mend pet up at all times in pvp...except when 1v1-ing a shadow priest because they have a debuff that if you dispel it via mend pet, you get horrified; warlocks have something similar where you get silenced if your mend pet clears an unstable affliction, but as a hunter, silence doesn't do much to you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Christhammer View Post
    This is incredibly bad advice.

With Lone Wolf you lose:

50% peel on autoshots
    Targeted 20% damage reduction on a 1 min cooldown
    +2% hp/2 sec (to trade with a 10% reduction or a weak healing cooldown)
    +10% incoming heals
    Targeted movement immunity for 4 sec on a 45 sec cooldown
    Healing reduction debuff
    Staying in combat or intercepting capture point while being in cc through pet, keeping rogue in combat through obstacles

You gain:

+30% damage on damage dealing abilities and wet noodle resource generator, (doesn't boost Powershot/GT)

If anything, it's possible you can get into situations when you do less overall damage with Lone Wolf, because you cannot peel as much, you kite less, you can survive less.

Quote Originally Posted by Riistov View Post
    The damage is great! however, all that falls apart the second you get pressured by the melee train. BM has roughly the same output and is not nearly as susceptible to being ranged, locked down, or focused.
    I disagree that they are equal in damage output. As MM I can use RF for a very fast Powershot to knock any (and multiple) melee away (it doesn't share DR knockback with explosive trap), and burst them down before they can react, or spice it up with binding, trap, and MS if needed.