Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

On the Claim That Xbox Will Die Because Quantum Break is Coming to Windows 10

Quantum Break is no longer a Xbox One exclusive. It is releasing on Windows 10 at the same time. The claim that this will kill Xbox or that there is no longer a point in buying a Xbox One is now rampant in the comment sections to IGN and Polygon articles about this news, on Twitter, and all around the internet.

It also exposes people for having no idea what's actually going on.

If there's no point in buying a Xbox One because a Windows 10 PC can (or will eventually be able to) play any Xbox One game, then by that logic, there's also no point in buying a Windows 10 PC because a Surface can do everything that a Windows 10 PC can.

But that's exactly the point. For anyone paying attention, Windows 10 is suppose to be a service that runs everything, on any computing device, of which Xbox One is a subset of the devices that runs Windows 10. And there is no particular reason Microsoft should be concern that people choose, as a result of the non-exclusivity of Quantum Break, to not buy a Xbox One, which is a Windows 10 device, because they will then require a Windows 10 PC, which is another Windows 10 device, to play the game. You are just substituting one Windows 10 device for another Windows 10 device.
    Last edited by paralleluniverse; 2016-02-12 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    The claim that Xbox will die because Quantum Break is no longer an Xbox exclusive since it is releasing on Windows 10 or that there is no longer a point buying a Xbox is now rampant in the comment sections to IGN and Polygon articles about this latest news, on Twitter, and all around the internet.

It also exposes people for having no idea what's actually going on here.

If there's no point in buying a Xbox One because a Windows 10 PC can (or will eventually be able to) play any Xbox One games, then by that logic there's also point in buying a Windows 10 PC because a Surface tablet can do everything that Windows 10 PC can.

But that's exactly the point. For anyone paying attention, Microsoft is turning Windows 10 into a service that runs everything on any computing device, of which Xbox One is a subset of the devices that run Windows 10. And there is particular reason they should be concern that people choose not get a Xbox One, which is Windows 10 device, because they don't need it play Quantum Break when people require a Windows 10 PC, which is another Windows 10 device. You are just substituting one Windows 10 device for another Windows 10 device.
    I saw an article and as someone who follows the gaming scene i had maby herd of this game once or twice and had not herd of the UPROAR that is apparnt over it. I think the media is over sensationalizing like 3 peoples reactions and claiming its everyones. As an xbox one owner i could give a fuck. Im still not dumb enough to install windows 10.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I saw an article and as someone who follows the gaming scene i had maby herd of this game once or twice and had not herd of the UPROAR that is apparnt over it. I think the media is over sensationalizing like 3 peoples reactions and claiming its everyones. As an xbox one owner i could give a fuck. Im still not dumb enough to install windows 10.

You got that statement backwards.

nvm just noticed who I replied too.....

Quantum Break is no longer an Xbox One exclusive. It is releasing on Windows 10 at the same time. The claim that this will kill Xbox or that there is no longer a point in buying a Xbox One is now rampant in the comment sections to IGN and Polygon articles about this news, on Twitter, and all around the internet.

If there's no point in buying a Xbox One because a Windows 10 PC can (or will eventually be able to) play any Xbox One game, then by that logic, there's also no point in buying a Windows 10 PC because a Surface can do everything that a Windows 10 PC can.

But that's exactly the point. For anyone paying attention, Windows 10 is suppose to be a service that runs everything, on any computing device, of which Xbox One is a subset of the devices that runs Windows 10. And there is no particular reason Microsoft should be concern that people choose, as a result of the non-exclusivity of Quantum Break, to not buy a Xbox One, which is a Windows 10 device, because they will then require a Windows 10 PC, which is another Windows 10 device, to play the game. You are just substituting one Windows 10 device for another Windows 10 device.
    having installed w10 and gone back to 7 i'd say xbone is okay for a while, windows 10 is horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What's Quantum Break?
    3rd person shooter. There's some gameplay on youtube if you want to see it.

Looked at the game. It's nothing special. And if what you say is true then why aren't there Win10 versions of all XBone games?
    I agree, there's nothing special about this game. It's rather unremarkable. I won't be buying it.

As for Win 10 versions of all Xbox games, that's what Microsoft have said they want. It'll take time for more developers to agree to do it.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looked at the game. It's nothing special. And if what you say is true then why aren't there Win10 versions of all XBone games?
    Because they still need incentive for people to buy the XBox One, aka Halo/Forza/Gears.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Because they still need incentive for people to buy the XBox One, aka Halo/Forza/Gears.
    I've looked over the list. Xbox One has nearly nothing else.There are 37 games exclusive to the Xbox One, 99 to the PS4. Each has their own old favorites (Drake, Infamous, Gran Turismo for PS4) but PS4 also adds such newcomers as Until Dawn and Bloodbourne. Simply put, developers have already lost faith in the Xbox One, possibly due to poor decisions made in the console's pre-release like that always online DRM stupidity. That, plus the uselessness of the kinect, are kicking the Xbox One right in the wallet.

I can't speak for Quantum Break, but if I were making a game, I would be hesitant to make it exclusive to anything, and if I did, I'd be even more hesitant about making it exclusive to the console that's faring poorly in the open market. But it won't be their decision to cut and run that's the issue. The issue is that the Xbox One was a flawed system from the beginning and scared off potential business partners with requirements like "no sharing discs" or "kinect always one" in early press releases. One more game isn't the nail in the coffin.

As someone who has no interest in the Xbone I fail to see how this is an issue. Xbone still has a culture around it, a culture that will have nothing to do with PC gaming.

I doubt the death knell of Xbox will have much to do with PC gaming.

Deleted
    Windows 10? How about we forget about Windows 10 already. What's the next, actually good Windows?

Simply put, developers have already lost faith in the Xbox One,
    What? Just becuase it has more exclusives doesnt mean they are great games. I couldnt name more than 5 exclusives for either console so that should tell you how many of them are worth mentioning.

You got that statement backwards.
    Windows 10 is shit, just like 8, it will be the new vista where everyone did thier damnedest to skip it. Looks like MS might be trying to pull a VISTA games shit again. I remember halo 2 vista and a few others i never got to play because i never installed vista.

What's Quantum Break?
    Exactly, why there is a thread over a supposed outrage or news articles over it is beyond me since 10/10 people dont know what the fuck the game is.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Does Surface require exclusive apps so people have an incentive to buy it over, say, any old random Dell computer? No.

Maybe devices should be able to run the same software/apps/games and hardware should compete on their own merits...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Windows 10? How about we forget about Windows 10 already. What's the next, actually good Windows?
    There will be no next Windows. Windows 10 is the last Windows, it will be updated incrementally forever.

There will be no next Windows. Windows 10 is the last Windows, it will be updated incrementally forever.
    Then they can pry windows 7 from my cold dead hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I moved to Windows 10 from 7 and I wont even look back. W10 is very solid and stable for me, I dont get all this hate at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Then they can pry windows 7 from my cold dead hands.
    It may take 5 years or perhaps more, but you will eventually give up on this stubbornness when people stop developing programs, games, and stuff for Windows 7. Then it will no longer be fit for purpose. Windows 10 is fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quantum Break is no longer a Xbox One exclusive. It is releasing on Windows 10 at the same time. The claim that this will kill Xbox or that there is no longer a point in buying a Xbox One is now rampant in the comment sections to IGN and Polygon articles about this news, on Twitter, and all around the internet.

I don't have at any time over $1,000 to throw down on a PC. My Xbox cost me less than 1/2 that. Yeah, I'll likely pay more for games over the long run, but that is not an upfront cost. I can afford a little here and there, but i'm not willing to build a PC for over $1,000 to play games. Also, kids who are younger than 16 aren't generally making their own money. Mom and Dad who have a mortgage and many other bills, and also has to pay to support their son or daughter, might not be willing t throw down a ton of money on PC either. Consoles will always have a place, as long as they are cheaper and easier to use than a PC.

These are the general gamers. Not the hardcore. They are the majority, and because of that, consoles will be here to stay.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I like being able to actually play my games when I get them and not having to worry about fps issues. Therefore I have an xbox one instead of spending a thousand dollars on a computer.

There's a point if you don't own a pc and its not a bad trade off for 300 bucks investment. Microsoft has finally come around to the idea that there is no point in exclusivity anymore since they will sell more games if they release it to both pc and console at the same time. Nobody complains and everyone has fun. Btw I don't want your 300 dollar pc build suggestion if you decide to post one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I don't have at any time over $1,000 to throw down on a PC. My Xbox cost me less than 1/2 that. Yeah, I'll likely pay more for games over the long run, but that is not an upfront cost. I can afford a little here and there, but i'm not willing to build a PC for over $1,000 to play games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    There's a point if you don't own a pc and its not a bad trade off for 300 bucks investment. (-snip-) Btw I don't want your 300 dollar pc build suggestion if you decide to post one.
    The main thing people forget is that a lot of the PC gamers would have owned a PC already. The idea of a 300 dollar gaming PC is largely laughable. However, an average home PC with 300 dollars of additional investment should make a decent gaming PC (at the very least a console equivalent).

A lot of gamers don't spend 1,000 quid on a machine just to play games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I don't have at any time over $1,000 to throw down on a PC. My Xbox cost me less than 1/2 that. Yeah, I'll likely pay more for games over the long run, but that is not an upfront cost. I can afford a little here and there, but i'm not willing to build a PC for over $1,000 to play games. Also, kids who are younger than 16 aren't generally making their own money. Mom and Dad who have a mortgage and many other bills, and also has to pay to support their son or daughter, might not be willing t throw down a ton of money on PC either. Consoles will always have a place, as long as they are cheaper and easier to use than a PC.

These are the general gamers. Not the hardcore. They are the majority, and because of that, consoles will be here to stay.
    I never said that consoles won't have a place.

But you also need to factor in that a TV can cost $1000, almost as expensive as a PC.